The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djh1765 View Post
Well I went ahead and put a Sound Port in my Yamaha FG-365S and what a difference it made to my ear.

I can actually hear the guitar now. What a great move this was.
Did you do this yourself or have someone do it for you that does this for a living?

I've thought about doing it to one of my guitars but I'm very nervous about doing it myself.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Did you do this yourself or have someone do it for you that does this for a living?

I've thought about doing it to one of my guitars but I'm very nervous about doing it myself.
I did it myself. It's not that big of a project.
djh
Old 11-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

That would have made for a good 'step-by-step' photo thread here or in the build section. What did you use for instructions? Google? You Tube? Wing it? Did you have this type of experience before?
Old 11-13-2014, 08:49 AM

I had a sound port added to my latest Classical guitar and it really opened up the sound for me. I only play for my own enjoyment and can't say if it has helped the projection for the audience, but it really made a huge difference for me as the player.

Mine is located in the upper bout next to the neck.

Robert Ruck along with several sound engineers conducted an extensive study of adding these sound ports about 30 years ago for classic guitars - I wish I had the reference to those studies now so I could post a link to them. I will continue to search and post if I find those.

Bill G
Old 11-13-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
That would have made for a good 'step-by-step' photo thread here or in the build section. What did you use for instructions? Google? You Tube? Wing it? Did you have this type of experience before?
I used common sense and a lot of natural ability to work with my hands.

It was easy for me:

(1) Decide where you want the Sound Port location and mark the center with a black Marks A Lot.

(2) I used a new fine tooth 1 1/2" hole saw in a 3/8" drill motor and drilled the hole.

(3) Using 400 grit sand paper I carefully sanded the edge of the hole being careful not to sand the edge where the top finish is. (Sand inside edge of Port hole only)

(4) Next after attaining a smooth edge I colored the edge black using a black Marks A Lot.

(5) After alowing drying time I carefully covered the edge of the hole where I used the black Marks A Lot with clear finger nail polish.

As you can see it came out quite well and the sound projecting into my ear is outstanding.

I have now put the Sound Port in 2 of my 3 guitars. A Yamaha FG-700S and a FG-365S.

In my case it was the best move I have made to improve my guitar playing. I can actually hear my guitar now.

Hope this helps.
djh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion