The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 05:44 PM

I had no clue. That's the coolest capo I've seen so far. Cheers!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
When I try that, some strings don't get pressed down enough due to string diameter. That led me to think that although capos have the same radius, they misght still not work because there's string diameters involved along with the radius.
I haven't had that issue with my Kyser, but perhaps that could be because the rubbery bit may be a bit squishier than on other capos.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:46 PM

I like G7th capo's. The performance 2 is very easy to move up and down the fretboard and you can do it with one hand - Another thing l like about them is that they have a very small footprint and they're well engineered.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM

i can't help but imagine an old west type showdown with capos in holsters.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:26 PM

I use a Glider capo, for those "quick change" modulation in a song.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Another vote for the Glider Capo as well. I've used one in church services for the past several years. As many who play in church can attest, capos are a MUST and it's very common to have to adjust on the fly. In my church we play up to 7 songs, with some being capo I, another being capo III and another at capo V and the Glider has done a fine job. I must admit that we've never played a song that requires a key change in the middle but I'm tempted to buy the only other guitarist in the band a Glider and suggest such a song.

Though I prefer the Shubb for quality and the Kyser for convenience no capo that you have to release to move is going to be fast IMO. As for the Glider pulling strings sharp, ANY capo is going to do that if you allow it to "bend" the strings. IME with the Glider, it sort of settles itself in if you roll it up and down the neck. Now as far as it pulling the strings sharp when you roll it over the nut and beyond (so that it's pulling down on the strings between the nut and the tuning machines) you really shouldn't roll it that far; just over the hump of the nut is sufficient.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:53 AM

I looked at some of my friends' capos, and it seems the rubbery bit on the Kyser has more squish to it than at least their capos. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why it frets all the strings when placed right on the fret. I also don't have much difficulty with fairly quick and accurate placement. The medium jumbo frets really help in that regard. It seems is the best capo for my unique needs.

But if the Thalia capo does come to market, I will definitely be looking into it. Its release mechanism will allow for even quicker and easier changes, with less deviation from my normal fretting position.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Yesterday, I received the Quick Draw Capo that I had ordered (actually I ordered two of the guitar size and one of the bouzouki size) and I must say that they are just what the Dr. (that would be me) ordered! This capo gets my vote as the simplest, as the fastest/quickest capo for making changes on the fly AND as the lowest profile capo that I've ever used. I've tried it on four different guitars and it works well on all of them, but the bouzouki size doesn't work as well on my bouzar (which has a relatively wide, chunky c-profile neck).

For me, the Quick Draw is much easier to use than the Glider (which I've found has a tendency to roll crooked on anything but a vintage v-shaped neck) and doesn't take up nearly as much real estate. It's a bit of a push to get it over the nut (and if your guitar has a large volute then that may be a bit problematic) but it moves up and down the neck with ease (and I can easily do it with my fretting hand between one beat and the next).

Because I play a LOT of solo pieces with partial capos (both prefab and cut), the Quick Draw is not the complete solution...I'm not going to be giving up my PW Duos anytime soon...but for the celtic or bluegrass accompanist who has to deal with quick key changes on the fly, then it's the cat's meow.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:27 PM

I've used the Glider capo for years, but only for songs that require quick changes, as I've found it can affect tuning slightly at times. It's a pretty reasonable trade off, I suppose, but I'm looking forward to trying newer designs.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion