The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Default What is the "quickest" capo?

I have a few songs that require the capo to be moved in the middle of the song. I currently use a Kyser, but was wondering if there was a capo that could be moved around faster. Tuning isn't an issue, as I put the capo on the fret instead of behind it.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Kyser or Kyser-like
Old 11-02-2014, 12:50 PM

Glider Capo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo__FVbZSww

Keith
Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 PM

Any spring-loaded capo, like the Kyser QC, G7th Nashville or the Dunlop Trigger. I guess the PW NS Dual-Action fits that description as well.

I use the lever-type the most, used to be Shubb but I prefer the slightly more elegant G7th Newport myself.

The Glider mentioned above is obviously even quicker. Great suggestion.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

The new Thalia capo, a forum sponsor and kickstarter sensation, might be just the ticket.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 11-02-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
Sandra makes good use of it here.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 11-03-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:18 PM

The new Thalia capo (can still get in on their Kickstarter campaign and get one fairly affordably) advertises "The unique mechanical design of the Thalia Capo allows you to easily capo your guitar using just your fretting hand! And that means you can easily slide it up and down the neck too!"
Old 11-02-2014, 01:28 PM

I tried the Glider for awhile, but didn't like it when rolled off the neck between the nut and the tuners. It sometimes seemed to make some strings a bit sharp.

I have been quite pleased with the Planet Waves Dual Action. I think they have been discontinued now however to be replaced by the Tri-Action. They work well for both adjustable tension and quick draw changes up and down the neck as well as on and off.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:35 PM

I'm worried about the glider capo pressing the strings sharp, since it seems you cannot adjust the tension and it would be more difficult to get it to sit on top of the fret.

Both the Thalia and the Planet Waves would look like they would be better for me than my Kyser. The Thalia looks the most interesting, as it would allow the least deviation from my normal fretting hand position to move the capo.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:36 PM

The possible issue with a knob adjustable capo like the PW Dual or Tri Action is that the pressure needed for one fret might be quite different for another fret. That's where something like a G7th Performance or a Thalia would have an advantage. Though JT did fine with moving a Keyser in Your Smiling Face.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:38 PM

That glider capo looks like the answer. I've used the picker's pal capo for that purpose; unlike the Kyser and other spring capos, it's still quick even if you need not just to move the capo but to take it on and off. (the glider looks like it will handle this too, I'm going to have to get one of those...)
Old 11-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
The possible issue with a knob adjustable capo like the PW Dual or Tri Action is that the pressure needed for one fret might be quite different for another fret. That's where something like a G7th Performance or a Thalia would have an advantage. Though JT did fine with moving a Keyser in Your Smiling Face.
I place the capo directly on the fret, which fixes virtually all of the tuning issues I may have with a capo.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackmoresNight View Post
I place the capo directly on the fret, which fixes virtually all of the tuning issues I may have with a capo.
When I try that, some strings don't get pressed down enough due to string diameter. That led me to think that although capos have the same radius, they misght still not work because there's string diameters involved along with the radius.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:57 PM

I've been using the PW dual action (which are great for 4- and 5-string partial use) but it's still not the easiest capo to move from one fret to another in the midst of a tune or tune set. The compression-action required by trigger capos is not the most natural to use, having to completely remove your fretting hand from the neck to operate the capo. The new Thalia capo looks like it may be the solution to that issue...it looks far more natural/easy to use.

I've tried the Glider capo thinking it would be the best solution...just push your fretting hand against it and shove it down the neck...but I've had problems trying to get it to "glide" straight. On anything besides a vintage "V" shaped neck, if you don't get the pressure right top and bottom then it can twist and go a bit crooked (at least it does for me). I've just ordered a Quick Draw capo to see if it will work better with my low profile necks...the Quick Draw is highly thought of by guitarists who play Irish/celtic accompaniment.

Because I've not found a quick-change capo that suits me, it has forced me to learn to play in unusual keys when there are key changes in tune sets...learning to play in F or Gm or Bb while in DADGAD is a good thing! The PW dual-actions work well if you, say, start capoed on the 5th fret and then remove it completely (but from open to the 5th or moving from the 5th to the 2nd...when accuracy of placement is important...is far more problematic). Tim Edey, a great and much sought after tune accompanist (and multi-instrumentalist) from Scotland, still uses an "old-fashioned" elastic band capo that he can push up or down the neck with seeming ease and wild abandon!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

Last edited by philjs; 11-02-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:29 PM

The Thalia uses a teflon pad which, combined with it's instant release mechanism, should make it just about as fast as you can get. The Kickstarter video I watched shows extremely fast and natural action when changing frets. It's the 4th video down on the main page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...a-guitar-capos

He also has rubber pads that can be purchased for those that prefer them. If you hit the capo by accident using the original teflon pad, it is easier to knock it to an angle than with the rubber pads. Although, in one of the videos where a young lady player did this, I didn't notice much difference in the pitch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion