The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM

Shoot I'm prepared to offer a Jackson think about it 200% profit ain't bad lol
Old 09-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Nice clean-up job, Al. That guitar looks great!

- Glenn
Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 AM

Thanks again for the replies. I don't think a Jackson will buy this one. It's gotta be worth at least a Benjamin now that it's all spruced (and mahoganied) up.

I rubbed it out a bit with automotive polishing compound last night and it evened up the gloss and took away some of the superficial scratches. There are still some deeper scratches on the back and a couple of peck marks on the tip, but overall it looks better.

I had put a sort-of mismatched leftover set of .011 gage strings on it for the initial setup, knowing that I would possibly wreck them by taking them on and off multiple times. That's what was on it for my sound clip. I put .012 gage Martin SP strings on it last night and the tone improved considerably. I was able to take some of the relief out of the neck too, lowering the action a bit further.

I'm really starting to like this guitar. No, it doesn't have as rich of a sound as my Larrivee but its balanced and relatively straightforward tone seems to mic and record well. I'm actually thinking about trying it out at church with it this weekend. (The congregation won't have a clue but I might get some curious looks from the guy standing next to me with his $3,000 Taylor.)

Still . . . it seems odd to think of it as a legitimate guitar. A few days ago it was a thrift store castaway. Now I'm considering taking it out it in front of a bunch of people. It just seems surreal somehow.

Last edited by Big_Al; 09-10-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
I'm actually thinking about trying it out at church with it this weekend. (The congregation won't have a clue but I might get some curious looks from the guy standing next to me with his $3,000 Taylor
I say, go for it!
You get extra points for the novelty. And if anyone asks, you have a great story.

-Warren
My Website
Old 09-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Well . . . I played the Alexander Hamilton Hohner in front of a couple hundred people today. I used my Meridian microphone played through a Loudbox Mini. When our music director came in and heard me warming up, he commented on how great the guitar sounded. I was really happy with it myself. Its deep but somewhat fundamental tone, coupled with a nice amount of sustain was really working for me. It amplified very well. I've got the setup tweaked just-so and the guitar plays almost effortlessly. The semi-chunky C-shaped neck is very comfortable. The morning was a success. This may be the best ten dollars I ever spent.

I might be looking for another old MIJ Honer soon, so please don't tell anybody that they are decent guitars and drive up prices or anything.

Last edited by Big_Al; 09-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Well . . . I played the Alexander Hamilton Hohner in front of a couple hundred people today. I used my Meridian microphone played through a Loudbox Mini. When our music director came in and heard me warming up, he commented on how great the guitar sounded. I was really happy with it myself. Its deep but somewhat fundamental tone, coupled with a nice amount of sustain was really working for me. It amplified very well. I've got the setup tweaked just-so and the guitar plays almost effortlessly. The semi-chunky C-shaped neck is very comfortable. The morning was a success. This may be the best ten dollars I ever spent.

I might be looking for another old MIJ Honer soon, so please don't tell anybody that they are decent guitars and drive up prices or anything.
Awesome!

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 09-14-2014, 05:11 PM

Great find, nice job cleaning it up!!

Bigjoedo
Old 09-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:

Praise the Lord! This really is a case of the " wand chooses the wizard "

Wonderful find and great work to clean it up and get it sounding that good.
I think that guitar knows it has found a good home and been rescued from a fate worse than death.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Hi Al
All I have on that model is a price list sheet and it says ( Standard Dreadnought-Tobacco brown top $199.50 sorry I don't have more for you Al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion