The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Unexpected NGD - Al Hamilton Model

I went to the local thrift store yesterday to donate another box of stuff. When I was in the back room dropping off the box, I saw a guitar amidst the clutter of unsorted items. It was an old Hohner G-09, made in Japan around 1980-ish. It was filthy, and had a partial set of badly corroded (probably original) strings in front of an incredibly grimy fretboard. One tuner cover was gone and the tuner was missing the screws and attached only by the string, but it was otherwise complete. The bridge was tight, the neck was straight, the frets showed no wear, and the top wasn't bellied. It had some dings and scratches but it sure looked like it had never been played much. It was worth a shot.

I asked if I could buy it. After the staff conferred, they said, "Sure. Ten Dollars and we'll throw in the stand it's on." Sold. It took a bit of scrubbing to make it presentable. I attached the loose tuner (sans cover) using some oversize screws in the stripped holes, strung it up and did some preliminary set-up work. It really needed it. The action at the nut was so high that first position chords got pulled out of tune. I filed down the nut slots and I had an old Tusq saddle in my parts box that had enough height left to be adaptable. When I was done with it, it played pretty easily.

How does it sound? Well some of nicer the MIJ Hohners of the era can be tone monsters, but this is a lesser model. It sounds pretty OK though. I'd even gig with it in a pinch. It's no prewar Martin, but I can honestly say that it sounds better than some guitars costing more than ten times as much as I paid.

Note: I added a sound clip a few posts down . . .

Long story short, I left with one less portrait of Alexander Hamilton in my billfold but now have pretty OK second guitar. I may hang onto it or eventually pass it on to some kid who wants to learn to play it. For the time being I'm having some fun with it.

Last edited by Big_Al; 09-08-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Nice burst, too - I'd get a dual-source (mag-mic/piezo-mic) pickup system from Guitar Fetish for about $70, install it myself, and use it for either alternate tunings or playing anywhere I wouldn't want to bring a "real" guitar...
Old 09-07-2014, 06:40 PM

Cool Guitar along with a Cool story to go along w/it
Breedlove Passport All-Hog Parlor 2014
Larrivee OM-02 2004
Guild GAD F-130
Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo 2011
Zager ZAD 20 2004
Takamine GS430S
Martin LXM
3 Antique Classics

Good Things Come in Small Packages
Old 09-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Nice burst, too - I'd get a dual-source (mag-mic/piezo-mic) pickup system from Guitar Fetish for about $70, install it myself, and use it for either alternate tunings or playing anywhere I wouldn't want to bring a "real" guitar...
Thanks, Steve! I actually put one of those dual-source pickups in a MIK Hohner I once owned. It worked well. I have a Dean Markley soundhole pickup I could use for this one, but I generally use a clip-on K&K Meridian mic., so I'm set. I don't think I'm even going to replace the naked tuner because it wouldn't be a $10 guitar anymore.

Last edited by Big_Al; 09-07-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:02 PM

Default Thrift store find

Gotta love it when there's a story like that behind it.

Cool find!
Old 09-08-2014, 06:13 AM

Default Clip

Thanks for the replies. If anybody is interested, here's a home-recorded clip of my thrift store find.

Hohner G-09 Sound Clip on Box
Old 09-08-2014, 06:24 AM

Wow, that's got really nice tone. Seriously. The low end is punchy and focused, the mid-range isn't overpowering, and the high end has a sweet amount of shimmer. $10 well spent.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:16 AM

Thanks again for the replies. I did find an (almost) matching tuner cover and added a second strap button. My thrift store find is officially ready to go with me to rehearsal this week.

I've been trying to find information about this old Hohner. The appointments of mine make it look like the ones they sold from 1978 to 2005. Their historical data lists an HG-09 for that period but no G-09 . . . and they don't list any specifics. Perhaps they are the same guitar.

Is there anyone here who knows anything about the old MIJ Hohner guitars and can provide me with a little more information?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:57 AM

Sweet find and doesn't sad bad at all. Nice playing btw.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:32 AM

Great find, Al! Must feel good to bring it back to life.
I love the sound clip! Sounds like the old Hohner has a substantial sustain.
*What mic did you use?

-Warren
My Website
Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I've always enjoyed fixing up old stuff . . . furniture, power equipment, motorcycles, cars . . . and guitars. I sometimes use the repaired item for a time but I often wind up selling it to finance my next project. I fixed up a seriously beat-up 1978 Yairi not too long ago. I would up selling it. That one sounded truly spectacular . . . and I mean spectacular. I would have kept it but I couldn't warm up to the V neck profile . . . and I had the opportunity to make a small profit on it. I never make a lot of money but I generally come out ahead. I just enjoy the hands-on renovation process. It saves things from being scrapped and people who wind up with the items seem to appreciate them. It's a welcome break from my desk job anyway.

As for the recording, I captured it using a Tascam DR-07MKII portable recorder. I'm pretty happy with it for home use and live recording. I sometimes use a Sterling Audio ST31 microphone too and am really happy with it too . . . but for a single track recording, the I like the Tascam because it records in stereo.

To be honest, it took a few takes before I was happy with my playing. I wish I was that consistent in real life. I used Audacity to adjust the volume and edit out the bad takes, but the sound is otherwise pretty much as-recorded.

Last edited by Big_Al; 09-09-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM

That's a fun story, Al. The guitar looks and sounds very nice. Thanks for sharing

Ray
Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Great story and that guitar is a looker. Congratulations on the find.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:19 PM

Great story!! Fingerpicked, I actually thought it sounded pretty darn good!!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 09-09-2014, 01:22 PM

Very cool! Ya know, I've spent maybe 20 years shopping flea markets and antique stores and have never come across an old cheapie guitar that was worth the ink on a ten dollar bill. And most of the owners think they're sitting on a gold mine, asking hundreds for guitars with necks as warped as a boat oar. So good on you - these day if you find anything playable you have a gem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion