The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post
Kind of off-topic but related to what you are asking - I'm curious what the upside of owning a D-18 would be over something like a Martin D-16 with an ADI top?
For what it's worth, I played one of the adi D16s a few months ago. They look very much like a D18 have same tuners and nut width. I thought it was a D18. Started playing, it real nice action etc but I went for some "crunch" on a few open chords and it wasn't there. I looked up at the sales guy and said this things' got no mid range. Then he explained to me that it wasn't a D18. Real nice guitar though and not that much cheaper than a D18.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I had to look in a really bright light to find the "wings". No big deal at all especially in view of the gorgeous sound.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 11-13-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_hillbilly View Post
? I just got one. The neck is mahogany. It doesn't have wings. Most have dark mahogany and they always have. Is this some kind of trolling or something?
Mine doesn't have wings either.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 PM

My experiences with the necks is the same as Todd's.

Mahogany is it has wings, 1 piece can be either mahogany, spanish cedar, or something similar, if it's a 2 piece all I've seen so far is mahogany.

As for Martin changing the D-18 again, I really don't think they will. It seems the sales have gone up quite a lot, though I don't have the numbers. Todd might though. If the GE sales are down I'd say it's a combination of the revamped D-18 and the great Authentics available.

As for the D-18 being plain jane, that is what it has always been. A no frills great bang for the buck guitar. I do like the tortise and ebony on the revamped one than the black and rosewood on the prior one.

The D-16 hybrid bracing hasn't grown on me yet. Seems to be something missing to my ears. I have started to like the A frame bracing like the 15 series though.

Bill
Old 05-11-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Select Hardwood.

I just got a return email from Martin Guitars about “Select Hardwood” guitar necks.
Martin will use Sipo, Sapele, Cedar, or Mahogany for “Select Hardwood” guitar necks.
I believe Martin guitars should list this on the Martin Guitar website.
This is what my email says
“Woods that fall into generally accepted family of mahogany include Sipo, Cedar, and Sapele”

Last edited by otis66; 05-11-2020 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Most martins have one piece necks, wings or not. Many martin necks are one piece without any wings.

Not that any of that matters at all. A one piece neck is not superior to a 2 piece neck
How do we know this? Intuitively, it is not clear to me why a neck assembled from pieces could not possibly have an impact on tone, when, say, bridge pins do (at least I see reports of that claim on a regular basis around here)? Not trolling, just thinking out loud, out of curiosity.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion