The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 03:24 PM

All mahogany is definitely an acquired taste. By and large, I've never really acquired it. Too many all-hog guitars have simply struck me as too demure by half. Thud city. In fact, I can count the all-hog guitars that have impressed me on one hand:

1. A really old small-body Martin 15. Not sure of the actual vintage, but it was beat up a bit, super lightweight (much lighter than any modern 15 models I've tried), probably an 0 model, and surprisingly resonant. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

2. A Bedell all-hog, super glossy finish and with a bit of bling...this was about three years back. Much louder and more resonant than I was expecting, especially given that it was a heavier build.

3. An older Favilla, owned by an old friend of my wife. When I first played it, back in the '70s, I'd never heard of the brand...thought it was Spanish or something. Light build, easy playing, great sound that easily beat every older all-mahogany guitar I'd ever played up to that point. The all-hog Gibsons and Epiphones (and one or two Guilds) that my friends had back in the '60s couldn't come close for resonance, tone and projection.

4. Santa Cruz 1929 models. Saved these for last. The whole series is astounding and disproves the idea that all mahogany HAS to sound subtle or dull. I've played the 0, 00 and 000...and would take off with the 00 in a heartbeat if I had the coin to spare. One of the most amazing sounding all-hog guitars ever. Light as air, with incredible tone that just goes on and on and on.

Some newer Martins, notably the 12-fret 15 models (D and 000) are good but not up to any of the above. And frankly, save for the Santa Cruz 1929 and maybe the old Martin, there are none that I'd choose over a good spruce over mahogany as an everyday player. But that's just me.

Remember, it's YOUR ears you have to please.

Enjoy the hunt.

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion