The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
There's nothing dishonest about it unless they say the back/sides are solid when they aren't. If someone really cares, and they are unsure from the ad, they will ask the company/dealer. If they don't ask, then I can only conclude they don't care enough for it to matter.
While I agree that it is a standard practice I do think that the practice while common is far from being forthright with the consumer. But it is like everything else unless pressure comes from the consumer the industry will not correct itself because they see it as a marketing disadvantage to be completely forthcoming with the facts of the products they offer.

Your cereal you have for breakfast doesn't have in bold letters on the box "NOW WITH GMO INGREDIENTS!!!"... well the guitar business is no different... they do it because they can and it sheds what they feel is a better light on their product. As always, buyer beware and an informed buyer is often the only one that knows what they are buying.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
While I agree that it is a standard practice I do think that the practice while common is far from being forthright with the consumer. But it is like everything else unless pressure comes from the consumer the industry will not correct itself because they see it as a marketing disadvantage to be completely forthcoming with the facts of the products they offer.

Your cereal you have for breakfast doesn't have in bold letters on the box "NOW WITH GMO INGREDIENTS!!!"... well the guitar business is no different... they do it because they can and it sheds what they feel is a better light on their product. As always, buyer beware and an informed buyer is often the only one that knows what they are buying.
Like you imply, this is marketing 101 - emphasize the strong points - deemphasize the weak points. But for someone to compare that to criminal thinking is beyond me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLight View Post
When it comes to revealing to the new consumer what their guitar is made of, manufacturers are dark, shifty and dishonest as any criminal.
Let's cut the melodrama and just deal with reality.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:54 AM

Cool Laminate or solid - how to tell?

Generally, solid wood guitars are more expensive. If you look at the specs, it will specify "solid" for tops, and if it doesn't specifically state that, you can assume it's laminate. If it says "select" that's code for laminate. Looking at the grain around the soundhole, you will see a thin dark line if it's laminated, and if it's HPL it will say that in the specs. Many Martin HPL guitars will have solid Sitka spruce tops, and sound great, as it's the top that determines the tone. If it's all HPL, it can sound dead if you're using the wrong strings, and if you plug in an all HPL guitar, they sound great. I made a deal on a Martin DXME (all HPL) and use Martin "Silk & Steel" Lights, and playing through my Marshall amp, you would never tell it's all HPL!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 PM

Things can get hazy sometimes. I've been on guitar store websites where it isn't mentioned whether a guitar's wood is solid or laminate. In the case of brands not familiar to me, and priced somewhere between a good laminate and solid wood, I don't make the assumption that it's laminate just because "solid" isn't explicitly mentioned.

But this is rare compared to what's already been said. Generally, if it doesn't say "solid", it's not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion