The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 11:18 PM

Default A Conundrum: OM-28E vs 000-28

I’m on the final stretch of picking out my next guitar and I’m torn between a OM-28 and 000-28. I’m leaning towards the OM-28 because I love the projection and brighter sound a longer scale length affords me.

However, here is my dilemma. My music shop has an OM-28 arriving in the next couple of weeks but it’s an OM-28E with an LR Baggs Anthem. I don’t mind electronics and the Anthem is probably my favorite acoustic pickup system. I just hate that stupid black plastic on the bottom of the guitar. Now I admit, it does make changing the battery much easier but my worry is that it has to affect the sound of the guitar when you take a huge chunk out of the sides of a guitar and put plastic in its place. Also, this will be forever guitar. I’m worried in 20, 30, 40 years should the Anthem become obsolete, there’s no reversing its installation.

Now, there is a gorgeous sounding 000-28 currently at the store that I spent a few hours today playing. It checks all my boxes. It looks great. It sounds great. I’m just concerned I might regret not getting an OM-28 because my opinions on that a piece of plastic are wrong. I could wait for the OM-28E to get in to the store but I run the risk of someone purchasing the 000-28 while waiting. This has been a long rambling way to ask: Does anybody have any experience with Martin guitars and the electronics compartment they use on their guitars affecting the sound?
1990 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2006 Fender Strat
2022 Fender Telecaster Vintera Road Worn
1956 Fender Stratocaster Replica
1967 Fender Bassman
Handmade Marshall JTM45

"Losing love is like a window in your heart. Everybody sees you're blown apart."
Old 05-14-2024, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

The sides really aren't contributing much to the sound so I wouldn't worry about that. I just dislike visible knobs or sliders in an acoustic so, for me, it's a deal breaker. But, everyone has different tastes.
Old 05-14-2024, 03:38 AM

I would go for a Martin OM.

According to Diane Ponzio, you can switch a Martin OM to Martin 000 by changing string with gauge 13-56, detune half step and put a capo on fret 1. Below is my research:

Since the guitar detune half step, the tension should be reduced. The below calculation is referenced by stringjoy tension calculator.

Medium in E Flat:
String Gauge Tension
1 0.0130 in. 26.6 lbs
2 0.0170 in. 25.6 lbs
3 0.0250 in. 29.8 lbs
4 0.0340 in. 30.3 lbs
5 0.0440 in. 28.6 lbs
6 0.0560 in. 27.4 lbs
Total: 168.3 lbs.

Light in E standard
String Gauge Tension
1 0.0120 in. 25.5 lbs
2 0.0160 in. 25.4 lbs
3 0.0240 in. 30.9 lbs
4 0.0320 in. 31.6 lbs
5 0.0420 in. 30.3 lbs
6 0.0540 in. 28.4 lbs
Total: 172.1 lbs.

At least the Medium gauge in Eb tuning tension is slightly less than Light gauge in E tuning on paper. I would say that's safer to use comparing with light gauge in standard tuning if tension is the only concern. However, the nuts may need to modify for thicker strings. Also, tone may be changed.
ArchAngels Wings (Dreadnought)

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 05-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Guitars tend to last longer than electrics. If there is ANY external sign of the electrics - it would be a no no for me.

* The scale length difference s a purely personal matter. but it is really a matter of easier playing, or projection. (I know everyone thinks I'm crazy but the OM was designed as the first Martin rhythm instrument!)

Don't take too much heed of anything Diane Ponzio says.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:01 AM

A dilemma: You could have the 000 today. If you wait to A B it to the OM it might get sold. But it sounds like you're lukewarm on the 000. I'd take it off the table. When the OM arrives it could be an absolute gem. Now what? I think the battery location could be adapted to an eventual replacement pickup / preamp. It makes the location and appearance less of a problem for me. I wouldn't be replacing it unless it died which could happen but how likely?

If I were in your shoes and the OM sound worked for me, I'd have the shop order a straight up accustic OM. I had a 21 for a while and it was just wonderful. Unless in the unlikely event it arrives with a defect it's hard to see how you could go wrong.
Old 05-14-2024, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like your heart is set on an OM. Don't cave and take the available 000. Wait for the right OM.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-14-2024, 04:51 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I typically like short scale, if it is available. However, I ended up in a choice situation with both the OM28 and the 00028 available and was able to compare them side by side. I found that the 00028 had a mid-focused sound and the OM28 had a more balanced sound with a little more sparkle on top. I went with the OM28 and haven't been sorry.

Now, about the pickup: The guitar I bought didn't have a pickup and I haven't put one in it. I use it mostly for studio work and around home. I didn't want a pickup. You might ask the dealer if he could order an OM28 without the pickup and give you right of first refusal on it.

I've developed more and more patience as I've matured and it has served me well.

All the best and enjoy the process.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-14-2024, 05:17 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I typically avoid acoustics with built in electronics. It's just not my thing. I haven't played through an amp in years and don't expect to anytime soon... so...
Old 05-14-2024, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

So the OM comes with the LR Baggs Stagepro or did the installer "create a battery box"? If created, I agree and would pass too.
Old 05-14-2024, 05:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Both are fine instruments as I'm sure you know. You seem to be committed to this particular dealer, which is admirable in these times of internet sales with very liberal return policies. But....is there any way you can get to a dealer who has multiple examples of each model? That may clarify things a bit, but it could also add some confusion of course. I'm as hardcore a Martin guy as you will find (have owned upward of three dozen that I remember....) but even now with more consistent instruments within their product line you can find a fair amount of variation when doing "apples to apples" comparisons in terms of sound and play-ability. You say you fully intend this purchase to be your "forever" guitar. So I would think you'd want to try as many examples as possible or be willing to enter into a back and forth with an online dealer who has that good return policy.

I know others will scoff, but I really don't think having the electronics package in a guitar has any significant negative effect on the overall sound, so for me anyway that would not be near the top of the list of possible negatives about a particular guitar. But that's just me....

The aesthetics of the exterior view of the electronics package are another thing altogether and a totally subjective (personal) thing. If you have any slightly negative feeling about that, you should think long and hard about seeing it for the time you intend to keep your new guitar. I can say for sure that even something small and minor in a guitars looks that bugs you will continue to bug you, no matter what! (see the above about how many Martins I've owned ;~) a few of which didn't last long with me for things that most players wouldn't even notice) If you think there is any value or need for electronics on down the road there are plenty of good choices to add on and when done by a good guitar tech are not noticeable in many cases.

But I guess my answer would be - unless you are totally loyal to this particular dealer, make every effort to play as many OM's and 000's as possible from a dealer who has multiple examples of each that can be compared side-by-side. Again - based on your intention to keep this guitar for a long, long time - it might even be worth it to take a road trip or even consider flying to a town where you have the ability to try out more than a few OM's and 000's, maybe somewhere like Nashville where you can visit many reputable dealers in a small geographic area.

Good luck with your search! What a nice problem to have!

Gene
Old 05-14-2024, 06:24 AM

I'd wait until the OM came in, taking my chances the OOO might be sold. If it isn't, then you can compare them side by side. If it is, oh well. You took a chance. You didn't lose any money and there'll be another one in due time..

Were it me, I'd go with the OOO. A bird in the hand, no unsightly plastic... But it's you that will be buying, not me.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:30 AM

If you’re planning to put in electronics at some point then I would go with the E versions for ease of battery installation. Also, I imagine that when the anthem become obsolete, the anthem can be removed and the battery box could be retrofitted for any other active pickup.
Furch Little Jane
Old 05-14-2024, 06:38 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Just for fun, here is a link to an AGF post I made a few weeks back about a Martin that got away...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=684983

The follow on to the story is that I ended up playing a 0012-28MD they had in stock and fell in love with it... so I ended up buying a new Martin (and I have no regrets!)...
Old 05-14-2024, 07:41 AM

These are difft flavors but Michael Watts did an OM/000 comparison recently. I think many of his observations will apply to your decision and are consistent with my experience with OM & 000’s. It is no help on the electronics issue though.

https://youtu.be/eKxrUzRpcMY?si=quPN8uE_JPrGlxHc
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 05-14-2024, 08:37 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by canehorn View Post
These are difft flavors but Michael Watts did an OM/000 comparison recently. I think many of his observations will apply to your decision and are consistent with my experience with OM & 000’s. It is no help on the electronics issue though.

https://youtu.be/eKxrUzRpcMY?si=quPN8uE_JPrGlxHc
Well that was interesting. Between his very round-sounding mic and the heavy audio compression it obscured much of the difference to my ears. The compression, especially, interfered with the ability to hear the raw sound of the guitar. You could hear the compressor pumping up whenever he let up from a strum and sucking down when he strummed. It is a technique used in recording but really changes the character of a guitar.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion