The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-06-2024, 01:34 AM

Default Is it impatience, or something deeper?

I have recently sold a few guitars , one of which I'd had for nigh on 40 years. But I have noticed that when I've bought a guitar, and I like it, it stays great for a couple of months, then ... I start to feel I need to get something else or that the guitar is lacking something. I've noticed this with the three guitars I currently have. But I stuck with the Auden I have (gave the truss a wee tweak is the only change) and now I think it is brilliant and I will never sell it. It has taken me over a year to get there. Odd. The Eastman is relatively new, but I've been playing it out for a few months non stop, and it seems to be getting better (mainly thumb picker finger picked and even with the occasional damped strumming). I usually use an Orchid DI box with it. I expect the love to drift shortly and for me to start making eyes at something else, but I think it's nothing to do with the guitar and it's a personality flaw in me. I don't play the Sigma (newish one) much, my wife does, but I heard her yesterday giving it a work out (strumming away in a mad girlie band) and it sounded really deep and melodic (I've never heard it so good). I was going to flog it, too!

I'm now thinking my initial thoughts on the guitar are just right, but that I just get some mental drift, that if I stick with it for some months, it will pass.

Anyone else similarly afflicted? This isn't about where a guitar just no longer works for me because I've changed styles etc.

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 05-06-2024, 03:55 AM

Yep, I'm the same. I think its partly a state of mind brought on by the modern world and partly because guitars do actually sound different on different days (sometimes the same day) in different places and conditions.

I'm trying to "pretend" I only have one guitar for a period of time and focus on just playing that one. I am drawn to the nirvana of having just a single guitar but I doubt I'll ever get there (currently 5 acoustics = too many).
Old 05-06-2024, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

I am constantly looking for something that fits me better. The perfect size, playability, sound, etc…There is no such thing as perfect, but I keep looking, anyway.

Though I do own way more guitars than I need, or even want at this point, I am happier with the main 3 that I play right now than I have ever been in all my years of playing.

Many times a simple string change is all you need to completely change the tone of a guitar. Some strings are just better for some guitars than others. I have never found a “one size fits all” string. Finding the right ones for an instrument is sometimes all it takes. Explore and be patient. It works for me. YMMV, of course, but it’s worth a try.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:39 AM

I don't need perfection, but I do like really having a few that are "real close" but yet not at all alike.

but, that's just me

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-06-2024, 07:29 AM

I wouldn’t call it a personality “flaw” (who am I to judge?) but it’s certainly an attribute that appears to be shared by many here on the AGF.

Countless threads about finding “the one”, numbers of guitars owned, buying and selling regrets, chasing unicorns, etc.

I believe that the guitar churners here have some things in common but may have different reasons for why they do it.

Some really enjoy the pursuit but are less satisfied with the attainment of something new. I’m the opposite. I enjoy identifying the new sound I’m looking for, then comparing options and ultimately selecting the right instrument (or deciding I actually don’t want or need anything new). But I enjoy playing what I’ve selected way more than I do selecting it.

I spend hours every day playing my different instruments (recently retired). I’m just enjoying what I’ve got and not currently looking for anything else. I’ve also never sold anything to fund something new. I think for me that would lead to second guessing and regret.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 05-06-2024, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
I have recently sold a few guitars , one of which I'd had for nigh on 40 years. But I have noticed that when I've bought a guitar, and I like it, it stays great for a couple of months, then ... I start to feel I need to get something else or that the guitar is lacking something.
Nothing wrong with that. Keeps things fresh. We need that.

Quote:
I've noticed this with the three guitars I currently have. But I stuck with the Auden I have (gave the truss a wee tweak is the only change) and now I think it is brilliant and I will never sell it.
Good choice. Great guitars.

Quote:
It has taken me over a year to get there. Odd. The Eastman is relatively new, but I've been playing it out for a few months non stop, and it seems to be getting better (mainly thumb picker finger picked and even with the occasional damped strumming). I usually use an Orchid DI box with it. I expect the love to drift shortly and for me to start making eyes at something else, but I think it's nothing to do with the guitar and it's a personality flaw in me.
Just because it's your personality doesn't mean it's a flaw. Different strokes.

(I'm not saying your personality isn't flawed — just that selling guitars isn't a symptom.)

Quote:
I don't play the Sigma (newish one) much, my wife does, but I heard her yesterday giving it a work out (strumming away in a mad girlie band) and it sounded really deep and melodic (I've never heard it so good). I was going to flog it, too!

I'm now thinking my initial thoughts on the guitar are just right, but that I just get some mental drift, that if I stick with it for some months, it will pass.

Anyone else similarly afflicted? This isn't about where a guitar just no longer works for me because I've changed styles etc.
I move instruments in an out, but I've never thought of it as an affliction. I play 'em till I find something I like more. It's just wood and wire. It's not like I'm abandoning a kitten.
Old 05-06-2024, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

I don't think there is any "flaw" in wanting to try out new guitars. However, that being said, a constant cycle of wanting a new guitar because you eventually find fault(s) in ones you previously enjoyed, might indicate something more is going on besides impatience.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself though. If you can afford that cycle, I wouldn't say there is anything inherently "wrong" with it. Some people here go to great lengths to have the "one" guitar. Others, like myself, can have 10 guitars and still desire more. It's really about how any of this affects the quality of your life. If you're good with what you do and you're causing no harm to yourself and others, then be yourself and be happy.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-06-2024, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I go through a bonding period with a new guitar that can take 3-4 months. Partly its me learning how to get the tones I am looking for out of the guitar and getting it setup the way I like it. Usually if I am going to change my mind about a guitar and decide to make it available to the market, it happens in the first 90-120 days after I buy it.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-06-2024, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I have to wonder if some people get so excited about something new and how great it is going to be, how it is going to fill that niche that needs filled, scratch that itch that needs scratched. In their excitement and anticipation, their expectations become unrealistic and the new guitar is doomed before it gets there.

I see that a lot in a friend of mine. Not guitars, but he is always getting so excited about something new that he wants and can't quit talking about how great it is going to be, how it will be everything he wants it to be. Inevitably when it arrives and doesn't fulfill his every dream, he starts finding fault, loses interest in it and moves on to the next thing. I've known him for forty years. It is just how he is. He is never satisfied with what he has but he is always excited about what he is going to get.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-06-2024, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

I know for myself that there is a temptation to imagine that I can buy my way to competence. Of course, I know that is not true. So I resist, as much as possible, the urge to keep buying things while I continue to work on my abilities.

Because competence on the guitar, once you have a reasonably good instrument, is mostly about putting in the time playing and practicing.

- Glenn
Old 05-06-2024, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I don't need perfection, but I do like really having a few that are "real close" but yet not at all alike.

but, that's just me

And me too, actually. I’m settled with my small current selection with 2 of my guitars being 20 years old. My last guitar acquisition was 6 years ago.
I can relate to the pursuit of new, shiny things so I have way more straps, capos and picks than I will ever need. :-). I give them as gifts or eventually donate them to Guitars4Vets so if it an “affliction” at least it is doing something good for myself and others!
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-06-2024, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I expect the love to drift shortly and for me to start making eyes at something else, but I think it's nothing to do with the guitar and it's a personality flaw in me.
Not to worry. You're OK. It's partly the result of our evolutionary history as hunter/gatherers. The drive to hunt, the successful culmination of the drive, and then repeat. Throw in our capacity for abstract thought, and you have the problem of reality never quite matching the ideal. Shopping for the ideal guitar is just another manifestation of this evolutionary baggage. Plus it's fun and easy. So what if it's like storing nuts for the winter.

At least that's my story whenever GAS starts nibbling at my brain.

On coming around to appreciating the guitars we have, I've found that it can takes years. It might have something to do with the fact that we're learning a little more about playing guitars in the interim.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I know for myself that there is a temptation to imagine that I can buy my way to competence. Of course, I know that is not true. So I resist, as much as possible, the urge to keep buying things while I continue to work on my abilities.

Because competence on the guitar, once you have a reasonably good instrument, is mostly about putting in the time playing and practicing.

- Glenn

I’m in Glenn’s camp. I get urges to buy a different guitar, arguing with myself that I’ll practice more.

In reality, I will practice more, for awhile. Then one of y’all will post a NGD, and I’ll start daydreaming.

I ain’t new to this pattern. Fortunately I recognize it for what it is. Most days, I solve it by playing one of my other guitars.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-06-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
Not to worry. You're OK. It's partly the result of our evolutionary history as hunter/gatherers. The drive to hunt, the successful culmination of the drive, and then repeat. Throw in our capacity for abstract thought, and you have the problem of reality never quite matching the ideal. Shopping for the ideal guitar is just another manifestation of this evolutionary baggage.
That tickled my fancy. I'm imagining 9000 years ago, my distant ancestor watching his mate chipping away at a flint hand axe, and saying, ... "hey, Angus, that axe looks really cool and better than mine. Do you want to swap it for my shiney sea shell?" (say that three times quickly).

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 05-06-2024, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

For me it was just a matter of finding guitars that fit the sort of music I like to play. My Pellerin and Avalon allow me to really enjoy certain types of music. If I develop an interest in playing bluesy stuff again as I used to, I still have my Martin. I have a spare "Celtic" guitar to trade in on a J-45 if I want to be a bit more "authentic" sounding (at least in my head ).

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Last edited by TBman; 05-06-2024 at 03:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion