The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Default Changing strings, going from med to light, any issue with the guitar ??

I play an Alvarez MD 80. I've had med coated strings on Baby A since I purchased her, little over one year ago. Not the same strings, I've changed periodically. I got thinking of putting on a set of lighter strings.. I'd be going "from" the Elixir Nanoweb medium 013-056 .. to Martin Lifespan SP 012-054

Is this ok? It won't bother the guitar any, will it ?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Might possibly get less relief in the neck, and some string buzzing, but probably not. If you do, a truss rod adjustment should take care of it.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:37 PM

You'll be lowering the tension on the neck and body. The action will probably get lower, the neck may loose some or all relief and if there is belly bulge that should reduce. If the action under medium gauge was low you may find it now buzzes. If it was high, it should end up lower. Your fretting hand will find stuff easier.

At the worst you may need a new saddle and setup. No permanent damage will be done. The sound should become lighter. If you don't like it you can change back.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Assuming you change your strings reasonable often, doubt you'd have any neck issues at all. Give it a try - you may really like it.

I have an old Yamaha jumbo and went to lights on that years ago with no detriment to the guitar at all.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:56 PM

Default Don't worry

As one of the others said, you may have to tweak the truss rod, but there won't be any problems whatsoever.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion