The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2022, 07:01 PM

Default Waterloo Price? Opportunism? Fraud? Just high prices?

These Waterloo prices on Reverb are pretty insane! What do you think, Waterloo lovers?

Opportunism at best, fraudulent activity!

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=waterloo%20guitars

BluesKing777.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:00 PM

I like those guitars, have played a couple. To me they seemed like a basic Gibson in the 50s or 60s. Passed.
Yes, the price seems pretty high.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
These Waterloo prices on Reverb are pretty insane! What do you think, Waterloo lovers?

BluesKing777.

The prices seem pretty insanely high for Waterloos. Or, at least for any Waterloo I’ve seen or played. I don’t recall them being in that price range.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff
Old 04-13-2022, 09:03 PM

I am not an expert here but I am a Waterloo owner and have spoken with some reputable dealers about the “economics” of that line. My Waterloo WL-K was purchased early pandemic before the supply of available axes went South. When the pandemic hit, Collings redirected their efforts fairly exclusively to the Collings line and Waterloo disappeared—hopefully not for good.

IMO the Waterloo line was an unexpected success. Advertised to be a low rent cousin of Collings, the guitars appear to have almost the equivalent fit and finish typical of Collings. Mine is on par with my Collings 02. They are high quality instruments and appear to have hit the bullseye in reproducing the vintage instruments upon which they are based. In fact, though based mainly on old Gibsons, the ones I have played exceed any of the recent Gibsons I have been able to play.

So I think we are in a situation of high demand and low supply. That said, whereas typical prices were in the +/- $2500 range, I think the prices double and triple that are outlandish. The other prices noted may in fact be supported by demand and the quality of the instrument.

I have heard from dealers that more may hit production for 2023. Time will tell.

Jon
Old 04-13-2022, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Supply and demand and ya opportunistic for sure. I spoke to a dealer recently who sold a WL 14tr on consignment in the high 2’s. I paid 1795 for mine in ‘19. I sold mine for 1650 in ‘20.

If I were in the market, I wouldn’t hesitate to spend that much. IMHO, the ladder braced waterloo is unmatched in it’s overall dry tone and rustic character. I was bummed to have to part with mine but I could not comfortably play it with arthritis. Old L braced Gibby’s and Kalamazoo’s run in the 3’s and often share tonal qualities, but I would rather own a Waterloo.

Given the certainty of inflation staying around for a while, strike now while you can before they are 5k..
Old 04-13-2022, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

$7500 Waterloos = crazy.

But it’s not the only brand of late with sellers testing the waters of outrageous pricing.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
Supply and demand and ya opportunistic for sure. I paid 1795 for mine in ‘19. I sold mine for 1650 in ‘20.

So if you got $7,500 like those other Waterloo Reverb ads above, that is approx 319% markup on your new price?

If all my stuff gets that price, I will be moving to the beachfront! And my 2 Waterloos will be under armed guard....

No, it is just extreme scalping - should be reported to the fraud squad people.

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 04-13-2022 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

I just forked out a pile of money for my CJ45T.
But not as much as they are asking for that Waterloo.
Waterloo are great guitars. They aren’t 7500 great.
Peruse the classifieds here and see what can be had at that price and it’s just silly to imagine spending it on a Waterloo.
Shoot, Waterloo to Collings is like the Applause is to Ovation. Go get 2 fantastic Collings guitars which in most cases do live up to the price range.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-14-2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2022, 02:40 AM

Certainly opportunistic but I can't see how this falls under any definition of fraud.

Nobody is having their arm twisted to buy.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:39 AM

Perhaps not, but $7500 gives the impression of waiting for a ...Patsy of some kind.......perhaps a Lotto winner. Etc.

BluesKing777.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Shoot, Waterloo to Collings is like the Applause is to Ovation.
I have to disagree with that. Applause was a cheaper, entry-level, imported guitar. Bill never designed Waterloos to be an entry-level Collings. They were designed to fit a specific niche because Bill was always fascinated by the old guitars from many decades ago. And needless to say, Waterloos were never imported.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Okay, some of those are overpriced. I see over pricing in all makes and models.

Waterloo guitars are different animals than most all other makes and brands. At any price! Today they are hard to come by. For those that get what Waterloo offers understand the high pricing. That's the point of this thread. You get the Waterloo thing but don't like what it takes to buy in. Realities are facts and take it or leave it.

It appears that they are now making Waterloo guitars again. I've seen a couple shipped lately. The times they are a changing.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 04-14-2022, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I have to disagree with that. Applause was a cheaper, entry-level, imported guitar. Bill never designed Waterloos to be an entry-level Collings. They were designed to fit a specific niche because Bill was always fascinated by the old guitars from many decades ago. And needless to say, Waterloos were never imported.
Fair point. I was being a bit too glib.
I suppose my assessment was based on my opinion of the one I owned that disappointed me in the product, which is not one of the models discussed here.
I will stand by my opinion that there are a great many other guitars I would look at before choosing to spend my 7500 on a Waterloo.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I think it is to be expected unfortunately - now that the Waterloo line is out of production from what I was told by a shop owner... there will be those sellers looking to capitalize...

madhat.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Blues, seems I have read discussion about that listing on another forum/page...and yes, it is crazy high. Looking at the others for sale on that page probably gives a better actual market picture/ asking price range. Even so, ALL used guitar asking prices have skyrocketed over the last couple years. It is unicorn rare to find any used guitar on the market today at 2-3yr ago prices.

Although Waterloo ships from the same place, they are different animal than a Collings by design. They appeal to a different audience in some regards. It's not a cheap version of a Collings, it is its' own entity. Bill wanted it that way.

And, Collings has pushed current Waterloo production back to catch up Collings production, so finding a new one would be an exception rather the rule currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion