The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2010, 07:16 PM

Default Nylon v. Steel

I am a new player and new to the forum. I have been playing a Mitchell D100but wanted a Martin since I was 14 which is a VERY long time ago. I started discussing guitars recently and picked up Taylor at a local shop and now no longer want a Martin.

I was going to convert my Mitchell to nylon after I got my Taylor but had a epiphany today and decided to buy a nylon Taylor.

I want to play blues and folk with a lot picking to entertain myself only. Does anyone think nylon is not the way to go?

I am considering an NS-32-CE or NS-34-CE. I will wait a while to pick up an amp. Any recommendations on an amp?
Old 10-19-2010, 09:56 PM

Taylor nylons are not very loud guitars. I play only nylon but I don't play blues. It would not be my choice for blues. If you want to go with a TaylorNS, go for the discontinued. 5 series & higher. The NS 5 ,NS6& NS7 are the ones to consider. But for what you are describeding, a Martin OOO-15S would be ideal. Those are great little blue boxes. Those single note bends associated with blues really excel on steel string.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 AM

I had the impression that my NS72ce-LTD was not as loud as my bespoke, 1975, classical guitar but when I measured their output, I found it was two to three decibels louder leading me to conclude that it was at least as loud but I suppose perception is what matters.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
... I want to play blues and folk with a lot picking to entertain myself only. Does anyone think nylon is not the way to go?
It is if that is what you would like.

Quote:
I am considering an NS-32-CE or NS-34-CE. I will wait a while to pick up an amp. Any recommendations on an amp?
You didn't mention a price range you might want to try an Ultrasound DS4, Genz-Benz Jr LT and a Marshall AS50D
Old 10-20-2010, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum. Just a note, we have a Nylon subforum on the AGF as well, so be sure to check that out. You may find some help about nylon-string guitars there as many who play nylon hang out there.

Enjoy your stay here on the Taylor forum though! Lots of good info to be had here!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:54 AM

The Fishman Loudbox 130 is a really nice amp. It has an enhanced bass, which really adds to the fullness and warmth of a nylon string instrument.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 AM

I have a NS 42 and find it a great utility guitar for various nylon or gut string sounds. Occasionally I'll play alternating bass styles and have thought that it has a pretty good gut string vibe. It works very well with folk styles and vocal accompaniant.

I like my 42 a lot but my favorite NS is the 72. I demoed one years after I bought mine and it was noticable different soundung.

My advice on any of them would be to buy used. They came be found time to time for very reasonable prices.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Default New Owner

I am now the proud owner of a Taylor NS-34-CE. I own it but don't have it, the shop had to special order it (after I paid for it). It should arrive on Monday so this will be a logn weekend!

Thanks for all the advice and responses. I am sure I will hit the Forum, and the Nylon Subforum, a lot.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:07 PM

And I thought I had an itchy trigger finger! Congrats...and of course, share some pics once you have it in your hands.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Congrats, Be sure to post pics and details when it arrives.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I had the impression that my NS72ce-LTD was not as loud as my bespoke, 1975, classical guitar but when I measured their output, I found it was two to three decibels louder leading me to conclude that it was at least as loud but I suppose perception is what matters.
Interesting... I've had two Taylor NS's (sold my NS34ce and now have an NS64c) and always felt they were well-balanced, but not very loud. Wonder if I'm perceiving something differently because of the tonal balance... ? It would be a fun experiment, anyway.

Unless you're saying your Classical was the one 2-3db louder, then forget everything else I said...

Jim Warwick and I were talking about the NS's one day. He loves them for what they are, which is a nice, well-balanced crossover. A bit on the expensive side if you buy new, but it does what it does well enough.

Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion