The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: Which CF guitar???
Emerald X20 17 42.50%
Journey Roadtrip RT660 0 0%
Rainsong Shorty/CH-OM 23 57.50%
Composite Acoustics OX 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM View Post
If the Shorty sounds and plays anything like the Smokey I'd go for that....I just picked up a Smokey Hybrid and a CA GX Performer to A and B them and found the Smokey sounded more like what I was use to compared to the wood guitars that I owned. The CA GX will be going on the Auction block.
If I'm not mistaken, the Smokey is the WS body, which is bigger and deeper than the Shorty. I've owned both and preferred the WS size for the fuller sound. I've owned 4 different RS guitars over the years and sold them, I can't imagine the X20 ever going anywhere. Besides sounding great, there's something about being able to spec your guitar and having it built just for you.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 PM

And I thought I was confused before!

One of the big issues IS not being able to try them out. The only RS dealer in my area doesn’t have the models I’m looking at, and the only CA dealer is GC, and AFAIK, they’ve never had one in stock. I’ve briefly played two Rainsongs a long time ago, but not the specific models I am interested in, and I’ve got the X7, but that’s worlds away from the X20. I think I really am probably going to simply have to look at the features I want (1.75 nut size, etc.) and figure out which one punches more of them. I am really not a big tone-snob. I can discern the differences, but most of my playing these days is solo, mainly with my voice, so it’s not the determining factor.

In the interest of transparency, I currently have a Martin custom shop (glossy) 000-15, a Journey Overhead OF420B, the Emerald X7, a Takamine 12-string, a Seagull M6 ($80 garage-sale find), and a Tacoma EM9 in need of a neck reset, so what I’m really looking for here is a guitar I can leave out, and not be afraid to take it out for the occasional gig. I honestly believe any of them would probably do just fine for my needs, but it’s really interesting to read all your perspectives.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the Smokey is the WS body, which is bigger and deeper than the Shorty. I've owned both and preferred the WS size for the fuller sound. I've owned 4 different RS guitars over the years and sold them, I can't imagine the X20 ever going anywhere. Besides sounding great, there's something about being able to spec your guitar and having it built just for you.
Your correct on the WS body size and the fuller sound........But for me my pockets aren't as deep as some but deeper than others.....I always buy used that way somebody else looses the 35 to 40 percent.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:18 PM

I highly recommend looking at the used market and seeing what deals are out there, as you can often get a guitar you can sell for the same if not more if you decide you want to try something else (which everyone who has posted on a guitar forum has probably done or will do at some point, haha). That's how I began in the CF world--nabbing a sweet deal I could afford and later flipping it to climb the ladder to other models I was curious about.

I'd also recommend substituting the Composite Acoustics GX or GXi for the OX on your list, as those models offer essentially the same portability but were generally much more popular and good all-around guitars, and offer better comparison to the X20 caliber. GXi if you like bass, and GX if you prefer balance. I've seen some very good deals on ebay lately for those and you might find one in your price range
Old 05-03-2018, 08:13 PM

If gigging were the primary purpose, I'd probably put the Rainsong CH-WS as my first choice over the ones listed actually. Alternatively a used Smokey.

The WS is basically the same size as a Guild Mini-Jumbo or Taylor GA (I think the body's a touch deeper)

If leaving out and playing at home with secondary travel and gigging, then the CH-OM, or better the Shorty in the classifieds.

Edit to add: the shorty in the classifieds is priced low enough that if you absolutely hated it, it wouldn't be very hard to resell and get your money back.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I missed out on the Shorty in the classifieds, but found one on Reverb for the same price (2014 model). Now, I've just got to wait until it makes its journey from the east coast to Cali!

At some point in the future (after another couple of seasons of soccer and water polo officiating) I may just end up ordering an Emerald Chimaera. My home must be a fertile environment - guitars multiply like flies around here!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:23 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

One thing to consider - buying a Rainsong gets you the support of a dealer and a company here in the US who can fix it should something be wrong.

JR
Old 05-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

JR makes a good point. When Michael had his shop in Salt Lake, he would do set-ups and repairs on any CF guitar. We've lost that. But that may not be a big loss; CF guitars are, by and large, trouble-free. But it would be nice to have a central CF care facility.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 PM

I voted for the Shorty because it’s the one I have and I love it. To carbonfiberfan’s point about buying used: ask your GC to query their system to see if any of the guitars on your list may be had “used” through GC. That’s how I got my Shorty - shipped from another GC to my local GC. And you get the 30 day trial period. What’s not to like.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:00 AM
Guest 928

Res;

Good suggestion.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:25 AM

I can see some of the senior members may be a little confused....

OP got himself a Shorty about half a dozen posts back.

Good catch. Enjoy it bsman !
Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM

I voted for the CH-OM. I tried the Journey Roadtrip and it was nice, but I just didn't connect with it. Returned it and upgraded to the CH-OM. I love this guitar! Everything I wanted in a CF guitar. Good luck!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I can see some of the senior members may be a little confused....
Ouch! I resemble that remark too.

I have played Rainsong (shorty), Blackbird (lucky) and Emerald (X20) out and about. I think the X20 is the best all around guitar of the ones I have tried to date including all the decent wood guitars I have played more than once.

I think you will like the one you ordered, but if you find another for sale...

You can always sell the second CF guitar for a modest loss if any. I should warn you that that was my strategy, but I still have both of them which is why I stay away from the Rainsongs when I see them for sale. I don't want to end up like Kramster tripping over guitars as I already have too many other musical toys to trip over. I have rationalized a folding Journey, but then I wake up the next day and can't quite justify it.

I actually could break even with my X20 which I bought new a few years ago from looking at the used prices I have seen lately. I don't plan on selling it for a while if ever.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-08-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I don't want to end up like Kramster tripping over guitars as I already have too many other musical toys to trip over.
Hey!! I'm right here!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM

It's here! Even after a coast-to-coast trip via the gentle ministrations of UPS ground, thing was still in tune when I unpacked it. The neck (N2) is wonderful for me; hand-filling smooth and slick. It's the lightest guitar I've held in a long time, and she sings! It's incredibly resonant, sustains practically forever and plays fast and easy. I may end up off-loading my Martin 000-15 custom gloss mahogany, because this thing eats its lunch!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24iFFed]

Last edited by bsman; 05-11-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber