The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-02-2018, 07:12 AM

Default We're Moving to Arizona, so.....

We’re moving our primary residence to Arizona in a month or so from now. There won’t be any larger guitar stores close by, so I decided a final trip to Dusty Strings in Seattle was in order. I don’t play a lot of guitars, and was wondering if a Collings, Waterloo, or maybe a Martin was something I really needed.

Dusty Strings is a wonderful store, with many high-end instruments to try, and a helpful attentive (but unobtrusive) staff. In particular, I wanted to try a Waterloo wl-12mh, and a Collings 002H.

The Waterloo felt light and just right in my lap. What a nice feeling guitar. To my ears though, it sounded a bit too “unrefined”. So I asked Gary (the manager) to play both the Waterloo and my L13. The Waterloo still sounded a bit unrefined in his hands as well. But when he played my Lucky 13, WOW. I really like the sound of that one! I had my debit card out in a flash! Then I remembered; Oh yeah, I already own that…

Next came the Collings 002H. That guitar was very comfortable in my lap too. And it sounded very nice to my ear. Asking Gary once again to A/B the Collings/L13, I took a listen. I really liked the sound of both guitars very well. I would love to have the Collings join me in Arizona, but wouldn’t like the heat/humidity care required. So no guitars followed me home. Interestingly, I left feeling more satisfied with my L13 than when I arrived.

I did buy a couple of Wegen picks though. A TF100 (large triangle with holes) and a GP250. I don’t care for the TF100, but interestingly really like the GP250. It feels really fast to me, even faster than my Blue Chips, but I like the tone of the BC’s better. (And for the expensive pick haters, yes, I spent $22.50 on picks. Oh, and $28 on gas for the trip)

OK Capt’n, hope this bored you enough that in the future you won’t call for new posts in the CF sub-forum without due consideration of the potential consequences.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Saves you a lot of money! Good luck with the move... AZ is a beautiful state.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Bored? I was captivated to the very end: will he take a wood guitar to Arizona?? ... Does the L13 hold its own against a wood guitar? I like happy endings.

Good luck with the move!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Guest 928

Pine;

My daughter lives in the Seattle area and Dusty Strings has been a favorite field trip. I always left the store a little frustrated because there were so many good guitars and so many hard decisions.

I'm not sure about my information, but I've heard that there is a very nice guitar store in Carefree, north of Phoenix. And there's some guy in the Phoenix area who has every CF guitar ever made and who is amenable to house calls.

Good luck with your move. Arizona is a remarkable state.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM

My Favorite Guitars has just relocated to Arizona from Florida. GREAT folks to deal with!

http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/home.php
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 AM

Yep, besides MFG there's Acoustic Vibes in Tempe, which is fantastic!
Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the good luck wishes on our move. It should be an easy one. We bought a place in AZ a few years ago, and have been spending vacation time there. My wife is finally retiring, so now we can reverse snowbird. The folks that are buying our home here want most of the furnishings, so we don’t even have to get rid of all that stuff. Easy move.

One thing I really did like about the Collings and the Waterloos was the greater string spacing at the bridge for fingerstyle. So I’m officially starting a rumor: One of Allister’s new models is a short-scale 12 fret X-20 with 1-3/4 nut and 2-5/16 bridge, selling at the same price as the current X20s. You heard it here first folks! Allister, I’ll take a red one. Please consider this post my pre-order. Oh yeah, and Allister, could you please ship it a few days in advance so I can have it in my hands on the 30th? I can’t make the birthday party, but don’t want to feel left out. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I’m officially starting a rumor: One of Allister’s new models is a short-scale 12 fret X-20 with 1-3/4 nut and 2-5/16 bridge, selling at the same price as the current X20s. You heard it here first folks!
Sorry Pine, but this model *already exists ,

it is the X15 , or possibly the X17S would suit you if you like more bling.

*in a dream I had previously.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Guest 928

Rumor-Starting Pine;

I'm sorry, but you will not be able to make your rumored deadline for the guitar--Alistair is focused on the X10-OSN nylon string, thin-bodied, electric guitar.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:33 AM
Guest 928

And besides, Cecil is ahead of you, so get in line and no whining.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
And besides, Cecil is ahead of you, so get in line and no whining.
Wow Evan. Whatever happened to forum rule #1: Don't jump all over Pine cuz he's pretty sensitive?

My hurt feelings aside, per Long Jon's advice, I've already ordered a X17S(MB) That's a special order with maximum bling. I subscribe to the Liberace method: "understated elegance". Maybe I can't play worth crap, but at least my guitar glows in the dark.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

You also won't have to worry when the RH in Arizona drops to the 20s, teens, or single digits. When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be asking for advice about a CF guitar for your new environment. Play on!
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
You also won't have to worry when the RH in Arizona drops to the 20s, teens, or single digits. When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be asking for advice about a CF guitar for your new environment. Play on!
The humidity inside my home in Seattle drops into the high teens during the coldest months. So I always kept wooden instruments humidified in their cases. I am somewhat lazy, in that I would always grab my X7 or my L13 which are always out on stands, rather than my Martin 00015M or the Eastman parlor which were in cases. My cased guitars just never got played.

Now I'm down to one guitar, the L13. I would at some point like to acquire a guitar to learn fingerstyle on. Perhaps a bit louder than the L13, since I play with skin only, no nails. And a bit more room between strings like the Collings had. It will definitely be a CF or eKOA. 12 fret, short scale.

After my trip to Dusty Strings, I no longer fear that I'm giving up tone getting a CF guitar. In fact, my Lucky13 has had a bit of a superior attitude since the trip.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your retirement Pine. I assume your new home will be in Pine AZ ? 20 miles north of me, yesterday the RH in the house was 8%. After the light (very light) rain last night, we are up to 10%. So the L13 will be very happy here. There is a music/guitar store in Payson called Quigtone Music, mainly caters to student level guitars and such, still handy at times and the owner is great to deal with. They do get nice stuff on consignment at times.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:26 PM
Guest 928

Pine;

Well, excuse me! I thought the rule was "toughen up the sensitive folks." And now you're telling me "bad dog, no! no!" Now I'm going to have to make amends with sensitive Mr. K. You've rocked my world and really hurt my feelings.

K's sensitive uncle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber