The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
From your keyboard to Alistair's ear, Long Jon, although I would like to grow it a tiny bit in all directions... more OM sized, but curvy, 25-ish scale. I understand that crystal balls do tend to distort dimensions a little.

Now back to the creepy conversation about Kramster's ears and the Captain's eyes...
Ah... You want the X 15 Barry, or possibly the X 17-S .
Old 04-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
I was wondering where the captain came up at this number? It seems a little bit low and doesn’t take into account having that had a guitars also?

On a more serious note it seems to me that Alastair could shoot pictures of every guitar he’s ever made detailing the different options that are on that guitar and put it on his website somewhere so people get an idea of before and after options. With the verneers alone he can change colors or darken, lighten it etc. It seems to me that he would have a hard time skyping with every person that wanted to order a guitar and going up and down different veneers With different body types for every person that called.

Also If I read the message correctly it didn’t seem that the monthly guitars were going away.
Hi Doc,

I got that 468,000 number from Emerald's website; if I were going to make up a number, it wouldn't be rounded off to the nearest thousand.

Like you, I didn't see that the monthly Select Series were done, just that there wouldn't be any for April or May. I would imagine any upcoming potential series would depend on how stacked up with orders they find themselves.

It is my understanding that you can look at the links on their site to get an idea of what veneers they currently have. If you know what model, what neck specifications, color, and veneer you want before doing the Skype chat, you are saving your time and theirs. Then, it is a matter of specifics. Seems to me that a Skype chat with a prepared individual would be way more efficient than e-mails back and forth or even a phone call.

No idea how many people would be getting in on this, but it sounds like an efficient way of nailing down specifics.

In 2006, we ordered a boat from a manufacturer at the Seattle Boat Show. We knew what we wanted and had that nailed down before we talked to the VP of the company. He made some suggestions, we discussed an electronics suite, appliances, power, and we signed the sales agreement... it took less than a half hour. They filled most of their production for the next 8 months at that one show. Very efficient. I see what Emerald is doing as similar on an intercontinental basis.

Any custom luthier needs to have a convenient way for customers to find them, even if they are local to you. I have to say that ordering any custom guitar is a leap of faith; the advantage folks on this sub-forum have is the fact that Emerald is a known, both in the quality of the guitars they make and their customer service.

I like Emerald's current business model, but I know there are a lot of guitar players who have to try before they buy. (I used to feel that same way.)
I also like that they have their standard Opus models, Artisan models, and full-on customs. My first Emerald, an X7 Opus was ordered based on all the good things I read here. Buying the Select Series Custom was easy because the Opus was so good.

The Emerald website has an impressive gallery that folks can look through to see what they can do. Or, if you have the time and money like our buddy Evan, you can tell Alistair what your mind sees, then sit back and wait for it to happen. Truth be told, I admire Evan's quest for the ultimate (for him) nylon guitar... even though he is thinking of the next one before he gets the current one.

Having been a "one acoustic and one electric" guy most of my life, my take is different these days... I have some nice guitars and enjoy playing them. And, my Emeralds are really nice guitars.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi Doc,In 2006, we ordered a boat from a manufacturer at the Seattle Boat Show.
Alistair knows about boat building as well...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-28-2018, 03:09 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

You are correct in saying that I open up my mind to Alistair. And then he takes his time picking through the garbage and letting me know what might work. And then I sulk for a while before getting back to the business of helping create tomorrow's ultimate nylon string guitar.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

You are correct in saying that I open up my mind to Alistair. And then he takes his time picking through the garbage and letting me know what might work. And then I sulk for a while before getting back to the business of helping create tomorrow's ultimate nylon string guitar.
I'm correct... one in a row!
Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I'm correct... one in a row!
On a roll... not buttered.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-28-2018, 06:29 PM

Emerald might not have the monthly series anymore, BUT...I've been enjoying the new veneer page with videos, followed by lots of visualizing what the next guitar might look like.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Guest 928

Oh no! There's butter, lots of butter and jam. Sometimes that's what it takes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber