The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-26-2016, 06:17 PM

Default just bought a rainsong a ws 1000

and it isnt here yet,,i tht they all had trussrods and found out they dont,but cant find out if this model does or not,,any body know ?
Old 12-26-2016, 07:17 PM

If it's a new one, it has a truss rod. All of the "N2" necks do.

If you're buying used, the older necks don't have truss rods. However, on RainSong guitars, the truss rod is only there for changing the relief to suit the player's preference. The neck is more than stiff and strong enough to be fine without one.

And I've heard of very few people actually using the truss rod to change the relief. The majority of action adjustments can be accomplished with the nut and saddle.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post

And I've heard of very few people actually using the truss rod to change the relief. The majority of action adjustments can be accomplished with the nut and saddle.
If my WS 3000 had a truss rod I would certainly use it to adjust the relief. As it is, I keep it tuned down a half step.

I don't think I have ever touched the truss rod on my Shorty, if I did, I have only ever done so once.

As for the OP, anything made in the past several years will have the N2 neck, and will have a truss rod. Rainsongs adjust from the headstock (like a Guild or Taylor) and not from the soundhole (like Martin or Larrivee) so there should be a very noticeable truss rod cover.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-27-2016, 01:15 AM

The AWS1000 isn't in production any more - it was their early version of a glass-carbon hybrid top. I have one that was my main instrument for a decade or so - the neck was micro-thin like an electric, a bolt-on construct with no heel at all. It's heavier than the all-carbon models, but I absolutely loved the sound and the playability. It doesn't have a truss rod.

Looking back at this, I may have misread! Did you mean "I bought a Rainsong WS1000" with an extra 'a', or did you mean "A Rainsong AWS 1000"??

Last edited by Kray Van Kirk; 12-27-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Add me to the list of those who uses the truss rod to adjust the relief, which is distinct from action adjustment at the nut and saddle.

My Rainsong WS1000 and WS3000 would be perfect if I could apply just a touch of relief to them. The AWS1000 has a truss rod, and is set to perfection. I rejected every Composite Acoustic due to the horrible unadjustable relief on all the ones I tried, and also didn't pick up one of the forum group buys when talking on the phone with the facilitator/retailer after learning the relief was the same. When you can slide two quarters under the string at the twelfth fret, I'm out.

Some people are happy with widely varying set-ups, but any competent tech will take advantage of the truss rod when doing a pro set-up for different string tensions.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfox View Post
and it isnt here yet,,i tht they all had trussrods and found out they dont,but cant find out if this model does or not,,any body know ?
If there is a truss rod cover on the headstock, (see pic) and the model number is followed by "N2" on the tag inside the guitar, than you have a truss rod.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:17 PM

I had one, and it currently resides at my Church. I can't remember if it had a truss rod. As mentioned above, the neck is thinner and wider than the regular Rainsong neck....
Old 12-27-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Just because your writing of the model is ambiguous... if it's a model AWS1000, it has a truss rod, adjustable through the soundhole and not at the headstock. There is no truss rod cover at the headstock, since the access is in the body.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:26 AM

Default it is a aws 1000 i bought it used on gc web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kray Van Kirk View Post
The AWS1000 isn't in production any more - it was their early version of a glass-carbon hybrid top. I have one that was my main instrument for a decade or so - the neck was micro-thin like an electric, a bolt-on construct with no heel at all. It's heavier than the all-carbon models, but I absolutely loved the sound and the playability. It doesn't have a truss rod.

Looking back at this, I may have misread! Did you mean "I bought a Rainsong WS1000" with an extra 'a', or did you mean "A Rainsong AWS 1000"??
thanks for all the replys,sounds like i will be returning it
Old 12-28-2016, 06:30 AM

Default aws 1000 rainsong

i think you have ansered my question about the trussrod thank you
Old 12-28-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
....sounds like i will be returning it.....
At least give it a day or two when it gets there. The relief may be just fine as-is. If so, then it won't change unless you change tunings or string gauges. My original WS-1000 built in 2001 does not have a truss rod, and I've felt no need for one. It is currently wearing medium gauge strings, and I also play in several alternate tunings, so the tension on the neck is always changing. There has been no perceptible movement of the neck relief. YMMV.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
At least give it a day or two when it gets there. The relief may be just fine as-is...
Listen to Earl, Rainsong has been selling their guitars without a truss rod for a decade and a half without anyone complaining. Their factory setup is outstanding.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Yup. Listen to Earl and Ted. Give her a fair chance.

My Martin dreads have both got truss rods. Never touched 'em , haven't ever needed to, ain't got the necessary long wrench anyway.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:00 PM

Yah - I'd agree with everyone else about the factory set-up from Rainsong. I've never had the need to adjust anything at all.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Yup. Listen to Earl and Ted. Give her a fair chance.

My Martin dreads have both got truss rods. Never touched 'em , haven't ever needed to, ain't got the necessary long wrench anyway.
And let's not forget Martin did not build guitars with an adjustable truss ror for the first 150 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber