The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM

Default Traveler Escape Strings

I recently purchased a Traveler Escape Mark iii for practicing when I'm on the road. I bought it through Sweetwater which I thought had great customer service. The strings that came on it were D'Addario EJ15's. I don't really care for them as they seem to bite more into my fingers. Anyone replaced their strings with something they like better?

Last edited by pnuts; 11-19-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 PM

Why not try electric strings instead of the acoustic ones?

I tested all the current Travelers and chose the EG-1 Standard which appeared to come with D'Addario electrics. When you are not running through the on-board preamp into headphones or into a real amp, your acoustic tone will be limited anyway. Plus, the Mark III body is a bit larger (intentionally?) than the other Travelers.

I must say that the EG-1 running totally barefoot with electric strings has a satisfyingly rich tone. You may get similar results with your Escape.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malty View Post
Why not try electric strings instead of the acoustic ones?
I could be wrong here, but I think the Escape Mk. III is designed to use acoustic strings. Something to do with how the electronics work.

I have the Mark II, but to be honest, I am less than picky about what strings are on it. I tend to use it without the earphone option, and unamplified, no strings are going to sound good. It's usefulness comes from having a small, portable, silent guitar to practice on.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM

I put the same strings I use on my primary guitar on my traveler. I don't use the headphones either. Actually, I use it primarily during football season, while watching the games. If its my team, I might play during commercials depending on how its going. Otherwise, I'll sit an pick, anything and everything that comes to mind. My wife doesn't mind as you can hardly hear it.
I was using my tele, but even that was louder unplugged, so this is ideal for my use.
www.Grassandeclectic.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCibq...view_as=public

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion