The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Default String suggestion for Taylor fall limted KOA GS

I have a brand new Taylor 2011 fall limited GS body koa guitar. it was the last one of the shelf. My question is that I have two other GS Taylors but this GS sounds very "bassy" even in the upper strings ( E, B, G). Would changing the strings help this? If so, what strings would you recommend? I have an all KOA Taylor K24ce 1 year old that sounds much "brighter" for lack of a better word. My other two GS models and my two GA models sound brighter as well. At first, I thought it was the KOA body, but my K24ce sounds great right out of the box. I wondered what your thoughts might be of those who have the Koa 2011 fall limted GS model. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:17 PM

First off, congrats on your FLTD GS Koa.

I own the GA 12 Fret version. Mine is also a "bassy" guitar but the mids and trebs are loud and sweet as well which makes it a well-balanced instrument. My guitar came with Elixir 80/20 Nanoweb Lights and I am happy the way it sounds. So I am not changing anything.

I have no recommendation for you except maybe to ask you to post some pics? Haha
2014 Collings OM2H
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM

You could try a lighter set of strings and adjust the trusrod accordingly (lessen tension by 1/4 turn steps). To my knowledge the phosphor bronze strings have more mass/weight and produce more bass. An alternative could be electric guitar strings, which are used by some on acoustics. However Taylor advices to stick with the factory setup.
Being a brand new guitar, the dealer should allow a free setup of the guitar to your own wishes.
As far as I know the GS model would have had medium lights from the factory, lights were on mine, a GA.
Medium lights would produce even more bass but may have a better ballanced sound overall, worth a try perhaps?
The 12th fret model was said to have a deeper sound overall in Taylor's initial description, so no surprise there.

Ludwig

Last edited by Von Beerhofen; 12-12-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM

Taylor made the GS guitars to have med strings. Lights won't have enough power for that size of guitar.
Try med Pearce strings.

Last edited by cedarkoa599; 12-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Hi guitarbuddy...

While you are sorting out strings, I first wanted to say Hello and Welcome to the Forum! Don't think we met yet...

You really need to figure out your own strings for yourself, because all we can tell you is what sounds good on our guitars with our style.

I'd keep it simple at first and just go with non-coated before you try dialing them in.

I have Koa side/back/Sitka that turns into a buzz saw with 80/20 but sounds really nice with phosphor bronze. But I'm a fingerstyler who plays all flesh. My gigging partner is a flatpicker, hybrid picker and it sounds great for him regardless of string formula.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion