The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2011, 09:38 AM

Default Playing your acoustic outside?

Ok, so I am trying to decide if I should even consider playing my #1 acoustic outside in December in upstate NY? I mean it wont be subject to a prolonged exposure to the elements, but it will likely be freezing. Should I spare my #1, and get a less expensive body double??? lol or just keep it in its case til I play (maybe 5 or 6 tunes) and return it to its case right away after?

If you think option 1 is a better one then I am looking for an Epiphone Masterbilt EF500RAVS or Natural. :-)

thanx for your advice!

Oh, and just FYI I have been playing/performing live for 20 years and I don't buy guitars to collect or as trophies! I have some killer gear and guys often say "man, you play out with this stuff??? I would never leave home with it" but thats not me! I buy a guitar to use it up, but I don't want to be neglectful either! So thanx again!

Lewd
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Everyone should have a beater that sounds great for times like these. No way I take my #1 out in the freezing cold. My beater might be someone else's dream guitar, so shop your beater wisely

PK
Old 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM

I wouldn't even consider playing anything but my number to perform with. It is after all the instrument I play and am most comfortable with. Therefore, my performance will be better than it would using something else (although, to what degree I'm not sure, but I wouldn't want it to be anything less than my best.) I've played in very cold weather before and have had no problems with the instruments afterwards.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM

That's why I added a Rainsong to my guitars. I never hesitate to play it outdoors.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM

Of course you should play it outside! Unless it's raining, of course. It won't shatter the second it gets cold, and as long as you don't leave it out there for hours on end, you won't do any damage.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:03 PM

My #1 is #1 for a reason, my favorite. I treat it the way it was meant to live, play it. I don't intentionally abuse it but I certainly don't baby it either. My guitar rewards me for playing it in all environments, excluding rain of course.

I say play it. Unless you play it in a blizzard, I see no harm in it.

I simply don't see the rationale behind folks treating their instruments like fine china. Granted, I've never spent more than 2k for one either. Got no need for the extra bling these provide. I also won't buy a car to leave in the garage on all but sunny days.
2007 Martin OMCX1KE
Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBfan41 View Post
My #1 is #1 for a reason, my favorite. I treat it the way it was meant to live, play it. I don't intentionally abuse it but I certainly don't baby it either. My guitar rewards me for playing it in all environments, excluding rain of course.

I say play it. Unless you play it in a blizzard, I see no harm in it.

I simply don't see the rationale behind folks treating their instruments like fine china. Granted, I've never spent more than 2k for one either. Got no need for the extra bling these provide. I also won't buy a car to leave in the garage on all but sunny days.
This is my way of life as well! I just didn't want to do something stupid, only to find out had I only known kinda situation! My avalon A12 is over a 2k guitar but not really any bling. Just angel like tones that spring from it, and the feeling I get from playing it. It's been tempered already as its now just about 7 years old. I play it every single day!
Old 11-10-2011, 01:28 PM

I wouldn't play my #1 in those conditions. My #3 is fantastic, it's just beat up. That's what it's for. Get one of those :-)

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 11-10-2011, 03:08 PM

I just baught a $570 insurance policy...lol or a #3! Thanx for the advice guys!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 PM

If it's comfortable for YOU it's fine for the guitar. Myself, I find that December is one of the few months I can play outside and not die of heatstroke.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM

As it would turn out it was 40 degrees... so I played the Avalon A12 anyway! lol oh well, at least I have an inexpensive, very pretty, easy to play substitute for when the situation calls for it!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 PM

Trees don't go inside to snuggle up on the sofa during the winter.

Karen
Old 12-14-2011, 10:16 PM

I wouldn't take anything but a beater out in 40 degree weather. My rule of thumb for having instruments outside has always been, if it's comfortable for me, it should be comfortable for my guitar.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:18 PM

I have played outside when it is in the upper 50s but anything lower than that I am not physically comfortable playing in that temp range. I also live in upstate NY so I do know the type of weather we get. brrrrr..
Old 12-15-2011, 12:34 AM

If the gig is a career maker, Or can turn into many, many, many gigs; Go for it.....

But if my performance isn't on TV, or played in front of a rather large audience, or in front of people who in turn could get you more bookings, I think I'd use a $399 Takamine.....

I don't think I'd risk my number one tool of my trade for anything less than a real huge event or a career maker........

But judging from your magazine press you got, yeah, you made the right call......Gotta be at your best for the Big Events....From the magazine press, if you get more bookings & publicity, it will pay for itself should the Avalon take a dive.....

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

Last edited by SteveA; 12-15-2011 at 12:40 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion