The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 AM

Default Help me decide: 000-18GE or OM-28V

I'm going to buy a used 000-18GE or a used OM-28V. Both advertised for $2000, the OM in slightly better condition (apparently), but the 000-18 is also good.

I can't play either but have listened to many many clips, videos and read opinions and reviews.
  • I'm generally leaning more towards mahogany recently, but with traditional martins like this the "metallicness" (or less woodiness) I sometimes hear from other rosewood guitars isn't a problem.
  • I like the sound of the OM-28V in examples I've heard.
  • ...Slightly less with the 000-18, but there are far fewer videos and clips of them. One or two really do stand out though.
  • I prefer long scale lenght slightly but it's not a biggy.
  • Spruce vs Adirondack, I'm not sure, never having owned adirondack, but I do like "vintage" acoustic tone, to which adirondack leans more naturally from what I've heard. I do of course like the idea of owning the more coveted topwood.
  • I fingerpick, strum and flatpick (in that order). Blues, country blues, folk, acoustic rock.

It's really a tough call for me, your input would be very valuable to me!
Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 AM

Adirondack is spruce, too. It's too easy to get caught up in all the hype spread around on the internet. Other than which look you prefer (18 or 28 style) there is the way they sound. Can't help you there. It's all pretty subjective and in some cases, imaginary. Only you can decide.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:51 AM

Spend a little extra and buy a new D-18 - if you want classic mahogany Martin sound, this it...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQxp7AodcAsAlQ
Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 AM

Man that is a really tough one. If I was in your shoes (listing blues first amongst the styles you play) I would probably have to go with the 18.

For my taste blues are best served up on a short scale hog box. Sweet, dry, and woody. I also happen to really like the sound of adirondack over mahogany for strumming, there is something about that combo that makes even small guitars sound big and I like that.

That said, I think with the OM-28V you get something very sophisticated and I hear they are special guitars. In other words: you can't really go wrong either way, and if the hardest decision you ever had to make was between these two guitars I'd say you're doing pretty darn well.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:15 AM

Both are fine guitars.

the 18GE is adi topped and short scale. The 28 is standard scale.

My 000-18GE is a fine guitar and extremely comfortable to play.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

I think they are both great guitars. I recently purchased a used OM-28V and I can't put the thing down. It has a very nice tone to it. I've mentioned that it has a smokey chime to the tone. I've never really played a 000-18GE much, so i can't comment. You'll receive some good information on this thread. I think it comes down to whether you want rosewood or mahogany. They are a bit different. Also, with the top wood being different, that throws a wrench in the comparison. They are very different guitars.

2013 Rockbridge slope
Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 AM

OMs seem to be in vogue right now and for good reason. And on that body size, the things I don't like as well about a rosewood dread guitar become strengths. And I tend to like the sound of many of the V models I have played. Even with all that, I would get a 000-18. I like the 000 scale length. I like how it makes the guitar play and in a 000 size, I like how it makes the guitar sound. The sound difference that comes with the looser string tension dovetails well with the smaller body size. And mahogany is a great wood for back and sides giving both clarity and punch.

Full disclosure, I have been playing a 000-28 for almost 35 years and, as I mentioned, I like rosewood on the 000 size. If you like playing the long scale and how it sounds with the smaller body, I expect that OM is a nice choice.

hunter
Old 06-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Are you sensitive to neck profiles at all?

Although both of those guitars have mod-v necks, the OM-28v neck will be slightly pointier. The 000-18GE, being from the Golden Era series, has a more full feeling/rounded neck shape.

The OM-28v will be the better all arounder due to the long scale. The 000-18GE is a better fingerpicker than a strummer.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM

Blues is your main style? I get it. I'm a fingerpicker, too...more folk than blues. So OK...probably the 18. Makes sense.

Except...

I read somewhere that the OM-28V is already out of production (or is headed there). If this is true...and if you can find one...buy it. Seriously. (OK, do try it first.) Reason: other good small body mahogany Martins are out there, and based on the recent release of the OM-18A and the CEO-7, as well as the continuation of the 000-18 in various iterations, I have to think that Martin will keep making great ones...so you'll have plenty of future opportunity to get what you want, hog-wise.

But the OM-28V is special. Possibly the LEAST variable rosewood Martin OM or 000 I've tried since returning to the acoustic guitar world a few years ago (compared to a few 000-28, numerous 000-28EC and a handful or so of OM-21 models...can't talk about the higher end models). I've played less than a handful of the OM-28V myself, but every one was special. As in reliably big, bold, loud, utterly gorgeous sound. The last one (used) held its own for tone and projection against multiple dreads that I was trying out - mainly fingerstyle - for a friend...Martin, Huss & Dalton, Santa Cruz, Larrivee, others...and there may have been other OM models in the store that could equal it, but none that could surpass it. Great fingerpicker...generous spacing at both the 1-3/4" nut and at the saddle and a slick fingerboard. Only tried a few strums...but did I say this was loud? Definitely makes its presence felt. I'm not a bluegrasser, so I can't give you a flatpicking evaluation. But the darn thing haunted me. Unfortunately, I dawdled and that magic Martin disappeared.

So yeah...can't blame you at all if you wind up with the 18. But if you have a chance to try an OM-28V, I'd hate for you to pass up the opportunity.

Me, I have a wonderful little Eastman E8OM that's currently taking care of my rosewood wants...and I too am on the lookout for a nice mahogany small body (I like both sounds...a lot). But if anything as magic as that OM-28V shows up again, I've started a secret cash stash. Just sayin'...

Good hunting.

Dirk

* NOTE: Just went to the Martin site and the OM-28V is still listed. So maybe the "out of production" thing is just rumor. Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Here are the two in almost identical setting (and same player):
Can those who own them or played them chime in if they think it's a good representitive

000-18GE:
OM-28V:

If that's a good representation, I prefer the OM-28V!

However, in this video the 000-18GE sounds amazing!

On this one I'm hearing something that I hear on my sitka/sapele OMCPA4 that I don't care for... perhaps described as wooliness and a slight brasiness at the same time:

I guess what I'm trying to say what I probably really want is an OM-18 authentic, but alas, I'm too poor

Any further input would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 AM

I owned both for years, they are terrific guitars, I only sold them because I'm downsizing and have an OM-18 Authentic and a custom shop OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar that stole playing time from them.

The OM-28V is a wonderful do anything guitar, I'm a flatpicker and it has tons of headroom, I use 13's tuned down 1/2 step and it almost has dreadlike rumble, clean and clear and surprisingly loud, no negatives.

The 000-18GE is dark and warm, more bluesy and slightly better at fingerstyle, plays a little easier with the short scale. I kept it down 1/2 step with 13's also and it has such a sweet vintage sound, no negatives here either.

The actually make a wonderful pair, which is why I had them until the Authentic and custom shop kind of nudged them over, but you have to spend almost twice as much to get a little bit better, and even then it's more different than actually better.

Go by you playing style, if you strum and flatpick get the 28V, if you're more a blues player or fingerstlyer get the GE, it's a win-win either way. Best of luck!~!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Sent you a PM and email.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 AM

I agree with previous posters about the fact that the OM28V is a special guitar. Since getting mine, the rest of my guitars simply sit in their cases.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

This guitar might fit the bill. Kind of a cross between both of those you are talking about, best of both worlds. Disclaimer: this is my guitar and it is for sale.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...58/OM18-Custom
Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7ent7 View Post
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

Here are the two in almost identical setting (and same player):
Can those who own them or played them chime in if they think it's a good representitive

000-18GE:
OM-28V:

If that's a good representation, I prefer the OM-28V!
Do note that these two are being demo'ed by a guy who modifies guitars as a business...so what you're hearing isn't from-the-factory sound on either instrument. Popsicle brace removed, back braces shaved, etc. -- and he says so in the video. (Though he says that very little modification was done to the OM-28V.) Just a heads-up in case you missed it.

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
golden era, martin 000-18, martin om-28v, vintage series