The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2024, 07:26 PM

Default Everse 12…what do you think?

So I just tried one in a store next to an 8. I am kinda iffy on it. I personally felt I couldn’t get THAT much more volume from it which was odd. I brought a guitar with me and set it equally. Overall I found that the numbers on the dials of the 12 go higher but it didn’t seem that much louder. But hard to tell inside. The 8 seems to be blasting loud and I think that’s on account of it being an 8” speaker which I’ve noticed is common with them.

Overall, I think the 8 is way more convenient. Considering the size and everything I truly think it should just have more volume. It’s great that the options are popping up though. I felt it limited insanely easy with the low e string which seemed odd.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:40 PM

I went for the new ZLX 8P G2 instead of that or another EVERSE 8. No regrets! Super modular setup. 1x EVERSE 8 in kickback or on a stand, 1x ZLX 8" on a stand, EVERSE 8 in floor position as a monitor with 8" ZLX on a stand, or both in the air. Will grab another ZLX 8" if the need ever arises... but so far, no need! Light and powerful setup for someone who does not need a subwoofer.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
I went for the new ZLX 8P G2 instead of that or another EVERSE 8. No regrets! Super modular setup. 1x EVERSE 8 in kickback or on a stand, 1x ZLX 8" on a stand, EVERSE 8 in floor position as a monitor with 8" ZLX on a stand, or both in the air. Will grab another ZLX 8" if the need ever arises... but so far, no need! Light and powerful setup for someone who does not need a subwoofer.
Very cool! IÂ’ve heard great things. I find a huge amount of my gigs I can use my Everse 8 alone. I was hoping for something more substantial but still battery powered. Unless it acts completely different in a live setting, not so sure IÂ’d wanna trade the size for the giant 12. Hard to say. I realize it was in a room but realistically IÂ’m iffy about buying it just to try it for one gig haha
Old 04-17-2024, 08:05 AM

Same, surprised how many gigs just require a single EVERSE 8. I really just bought the new 8” ZLX in anticipation of summer gig opportunities that I might encounter, that way I know my bases are covered and I can confidently say YES! Yeah, I feel your pain - the old “batteries in 2024 still slacking on SPL”. I think even if they made an EVERSE 15 you’d still be limited in volume, nature of the beast. Really got to weigh how much you absolutely NEED battery if you CAN get access to an outlet and bring an extension cord. Then there is the costly portable power station route if you really MUST have battery power without cords, but still NEED more substantial SPL. Horses for courses, good luck - wishing you clarity for your best setup!

Last edited by jpino; 04-17-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2024, 11:11 AM

You make a good point. I actually have a few scenarios I play a couple times a month there is no power option. So that right there is a big one. The 8 does okay with it. I pretty much run max volume but it works just fine. Then there’s a few other scenarios that there’s power but we have to run 100 feet of power cord. That is highly annoying. Those ones the Everse is just fine. The rest I can use power and often don’t just because of convenience of leaving super fast haha. Overall i am still considering buying the 12 to see if maybe I was deceived by how it sounded inside but because it wasn’t so obviously louder I feel like it wouldn’t do me much better. There are times I obviously need to use my evolve 50 and that’s fine!!!
Old 04-17-2024, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

FWIW I use this Anker 535 to power my mighty Evolve 30m at most of my gigs now, even when house power is available (which is almost always). Much easier than rolling out cable, where even if it's a short run indoors I often had to secure the power line for safe customer movement.

Rated at 512 watt-hours, way more than I've ever needed for my three-hour gigs. Though I place more modest load on it than others, probably less than Zack. All I run into it is a mic with a phantom-power signal boost and the guitar output through a Tonedexter and Baggs Chorus (the pedals themselves run off a battery powered pedal rack). Not cheap but shop around, sales pop up both at Anker and elsewhere.

https://www.anker.com/products/a1751
Old 04-19-2024, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
You make a good point. I actually have a few scenarios I play a couple times a month there is no power option. So that right there is a big one. The 8 does okay with it. I pretty much run max volume but it works just fine. Then there’s a few other scenarios that there’s power but we have to run 100 feet of power cord. That is highly annoying. Those ones the Everse is just fine. The rest I can use power and often don’t just because of convenience of leaving super fast haha. Overall i am still considering buying the 12 to see if maybe I was deceived by how it sounded inside but because it wasn’t so obviously louder I feel like it wouldn’t do me much better. There are times I obviously need to use my evolve 50 and that’s fine!!!
Yeah see, I reccon majority of people that *actually* end up buying these DON’T even have these problems at gigs. They get a battery operated speaker for that one-off scenario that happened one time, or for the “what if” of a future scenario, or straight do have access to outlets but are just like “hah, technology! - don’t need to plug in”.

If didn’t busk on occasion in the summertime, I probably would of never considered the EVERSE 8. You are the minority that DOES have these problems and these speakers are actually designed for you, so money well spent. I would give the EVERSE 12 one more sample, pull up a decibel meter app and compare to the 8, and potentially order one from Sweetwater and try it out in the wild for a single gig and return need be. If you can hold out, there’s a good chance one of the other new products EV is rolling out later in the year will round out the EVERSE line and be a 15”. We all wish for a battery powered Evolve stick but that’s less likely.

I don’t know about the reliability of Anker portable power stations but my experience with Anker products in the past and researching many reviews - they are not the best, they are constantly rolling out different models, and reviews greatly vary so read them and sort lowest to highest ratings when you find your model. I would consider a Jackery power station if you go that route. They are not lipo batteries last I checked but they are reliable, can handle cold and heat better, and the customer service for returns or repairs is excellent.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
I don’t know about the reliability of Anker portable power stations but my experience with Anker products in the past and researching many reviews - they are not the best, they are constantly rolling out different models, and reviews greatly vary so read them and sort lowest to highest ratings when you find your model. I would consider a Jackery power station if you go that route. They are not lipo batteries last I checked but they are reliable, can handle cold and heat better, and the customer service for returns or repairs is excellent.
Thanks for the reply. I won't pretend to have conducted a deeply comprehensive review of every power station out there, but as you note the Ankers have LiFePO4 batteries which, while slightly heavier per energy than the older-tech Lithium Ion Jackeries, have a considerably longer lifespan and recharge cycle limit, can operate comfortably at hotter and colder temperatures*, and are less prone to setting themselves on fire, though to be fair I've never heard of that happening with a Jackery. It's usually due to damage.

The main selling point for me though was a much higher number of recharge cycles. When Jackery came out with a new line recently, I was surprised they didn't switch over.

Anker isn't the only power station supplier with LiPo (lithium iron phosphate) batteries, but it's been awhile since I researched all that so can't name the others. As for reliability, I did a decent amount of online research and watched a lot of YouTube videos and Anker power station reliability didn't surface as a unique issue. It's possible I didn't cast the net wide enough. It's also true they've gone through a cycle of product updates--for example, I have two other, much higher-capacity Anker power stations that charge much more quickly than my little 535, thanks to updated tech. And they've started adding some basic app-control options.

My own experience is limited since I only started gigging with it this season, but in my three or four outings with it so far my Anker 535 has been a joy.

*Every comparison I've found online says something like LiPo can safely operate from -4°F (-20°C) to as high as 140°F (60°C); lithium ion, typically between 32°F (0°C) and 113°F (45°C). Not that I plan to operate at those extremes!

Last edited by Chriscom; 04-19-2024 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 04-19-2024, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
Overall i am still considering buying the 12 to see if maybe I was deceived by how it sounded inside but because it wasn’t so obviously louder I feel like it wouldn’t do me much better. There are times I obviously need to use my evolve 50 and that’s fine!!!
I've been following your commentary and am surprised you don't hear a significant difference in volume. Specs can be deceiving as we know, but there's a big difference between the 8's and the 12's listed spl. That 121db versus 126db peak spl should be noticeable. The 12's listed frequency response also goes down to 55Hz versus 60Hz, for your foot-stomping needs, but I don't know if that would normally be a significant improvement.

You hear what you hear, I get it, I'm just surprised.

Last edited by Chriscom; 04-19-2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:21 AM

Hey guys!

Yeah, not a lot of people actually truly need battery power but I have two pretty common scenarios. A lot of my gigs I could get power but it means running like 100 feet of lines. I have liability insurance crazy enough and I’m told I need to put carpeting over the power cables. Who has that much carpet??? The other scenario is on a beach which has no power.

Related to volume. Maybe I’m just wrong. But I feel like it sounds the same. 5db specifically should be noticeably louder but at the same time the loudness difference could come a lot from the added low end which I’m not getting. I felt the low strings limited it the same as the 8, yet I feel it limits quick and I never feel it’s bad to limit it here or there. Honestly I might try it live but I’m kinda iffy. I get by with the 8, I’d like a little more headroom but with the worst case scenario loudest gig draining the battery to 50 percent in three hours because I have it at max volume…not sure it’s worth having a speaker double the size and weight. I use my evolve for big outdoor gigs and it’s fantastic. I specifically wouldn’t wanna carry that around with a battery. I can also say price wise for the 700 I paid for the everse 8, is never get the same quality mixer, battery and speaker for what I’m doing in my opinion. Mine is a bit beat up but it works well (yeah I don’t always put it in the case woops). Battery life hasn’t diminished over 50 or so gigs or more also.

Overall, I’d probably wait for something better or just keep this guy. I might even buy another at some point honestly. I like it that much. It would be better with more inputs but I actually hack that with using the aux input!
Old 04-19-2024, 02:48 PM

Still fiddling around with the speaker, but to answer the op's question on the 12... I like it so far. May 1st is the first solo acoustic show action it'll see, so I'll reserve comments until then. Db's don't seem as loud as advertised, but I'd need a meter to really tell. Vocal and acoustic tone are what I want, especially vocals. Feedback rejection is excellent in the basement.

Does anyone who owns one of these or the Everse 8 know if the mix out volume can be controlled via the app? Basically, if I use the mix out to go to another main, can I control the volume of the other speaker using the app? Thnx

Last edited by willymartin; 04-19-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

I can't think of any situation I would being where the 12 would be needed.
Old 04-19-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Still fiddling around with the speaker, but to answer the op's question on the 12... I like it so far. May 1st is the first solo acoustic show action it'll see, so I'll reserve comments until then. Db's don't seem as loud as advertised, but I'd need a meter to really tell. Vocal and acoustic tone are what I want, especially vocals. Feedback rejection is excellent in the basement.

Does anyone who owns one of these or the Everse 8 know if the mix out volume can be controlled via the app? Basically, if I use the mix out to go to another main, can I control the volume of the other speaker using the app? Thnx
I will say the 12 sounded fuller. I bet for a big acoustic guitar it would sound great.

I’m pretty sure there isn’t. I think to deal with that you would use the main and then use the speaker volume for what you want to hear for your monitor.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
What Zack said. I have an 8 and don't see any separate control for Mix Out in the app.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification