The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2024, 06:51 AM

Default Vintage 1984 Takamine - D18 copy.

Aye up, folks. Up in my loft, I came across my old battle scarred Takamine (not played for around 6 years or so). I bought it in 1985 when I lived in France (it still has the shop sticker on the reverse of the headstock!). I chose it over a Yamaha that I tried. It was made in 1984. I played it on and off for about 30 years (just occasional hobby, wasn't until I retired that I became obsessed with playing) and my wife for a few years after me.

Anyway, it's a G330 model (it says) and I'm struggling to find anything about it online. What I've found is that it is mentioned as a 'lawsuit' guitar (because it cheekily has the Takamine headstock shape & script copied from a certain C.F. Martin). It seems it may be an all laminate construction of spruce top and mahogany B&S (although if it is, it's well made from a gander inside the box as the body wood looks real and well constructed - no plywood look - but wadda I know). I put a Fishman Matrix Infinity in it a few years back (which still works too). Sounds okay strumming and finger picking - quite surpised by that - although the strings need changing - they are a health hazard

That's about it. I've decided to part company with the old girl as it isn't getting played (it is still pretty decently playable down at the first 5 frets - the upper reaches are okay - 3/32" clearance at the 12th fret - but I like it lower up there). I suspect the neck may be ever so slightly twisted high up (can't really see it, but the action on the treble side is the same as the base end. That could be fixed by a saddle shaving - if there was any scope for it - which there isn't.

Anyway, enough blethering. I'm bunging it on ebay. But just want to know if anyone out there in the guitar hive that can add anything to what I've scribbled above. I suspect not given the dearth of stuff on line, and it is likely not very many were made - I've never come across another.

Cheers and thanks for reading.

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 04-10-2024, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Well, there’s a fair bit that turns up - even older posts here. There does seem to be a bit uncertainty whether any of the 330 models without the ”S” might have had solid tops, but that’s a little hard to quantify. Certainly on lesser brands the
“plywood” is pretty visible on the edges of the sound hole, but even if you can’t be certain, without inside pictures showing an exact grain match, I’d stick with the laminate description.

A gentleman at an open mic has a Tak from that era that sounds terrific. And I had a couple of all lam Martin style 1980s Japanese factory guitars that were totally serviceable. I’d think there’s still a market for those, but the current output from the Pac-rim has certainly hit prices of those pretty hard.

Last edited by keith.rogers; 04-10-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Well, there’s a fair bit that turns up - even older posts here. There does seem to be a bit uncertainty whether any of the 330 models without the ”S” might have had solid tops, but that’s a little hard to quantify. Certainly on lesser brands the
“plywood” is pretty visible on the edges of the sound hole, but even if you can’t be certain, without inside pictures showing an exact grain match, I’d stick with the laminate description.

A gentleman at an open mic has a Tak from that era that sounds terrific. And I had a couple of all lam Martin style 1980s Japanese factory guitars that were totally serviceable. I’d think there’s still a market for those, but the current output from the Pac-rim has certainly hit prices of those pretty hard.
Cheers, Keith. Can't notice anything at the soundhole rim, but taking everything into account, I'm not that fussed whether it is lam or not: it does sound pretty good, nonetheless. If I had more saddle room, I might keep it. But ....

Old 04-10-2024, 06:10 PM

I played what was probably the same model about 3 years ago on a guitar safari in New England. I think it was going for around $400, and it was a nice sounding guitar. From what you're describing, though, it probably needs a neck reset, which might cost more than it's worth.
D'Angelico EXL-1 Excel
John Kinnard Frank Hill archtop
Fender Jazzmaster
Austin Tele
Old 04-10-2024, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

G-series guitars are always all laminate and usually sell for $400USD or less in my neck of the woods.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 04-11-2024, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
G-series guitars are always all laminate
Not true. The G330S and GS330S (both out of production) have solid tops. One is solid spruce, the other is solid cedar. The G330S I own appears to be spruce.

Last edited by Rosette; 04-11-2024 at 08:24 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-11-2024, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosette View Post
Not true. The G330S and GS330S (both out of production) have solid tops. One is solid spruce, the other is solid cedar. The G330S I own appears to be spruce.
I've never seen either of those models. I stand corrected.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 04-13-2024, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGinNJ View Post
I played what was probably the same model about 3 years ago on a guitar safari in New England. I think it was going for around $400, and it was a nice sounding guitar. From what you're describing, though, it probably needs a neck reset, which might cost more than it's worth.
Cheers. Had another look at it, and I can't see what I thought I had. Neck looks okay, and the action is the same as on one of my other guitars, so I think it's okay, but no room for any future adjustment without, as you say, a reset. I think it's probably always been the way it is. I think I got a bit wary simply because the Eastman I'm currently using all the time has an insanely low action (lower than my electric) that I've decided to stay with (just needs a light right hand).

Old 04-13-2024, 02:37 AM

3/32 on low E is on the lower side if you ask me, so maybe the saddle can easily be raised. If you want lower than that, that is your preference, but not necessarily a sign that it needs a neck reset.
Old 04-13-2024, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizz View Post
3/32 on low E is on the lower side if you ask me, so maybe the saddle can easily be raised. If you want lower than that, that is your preference, but not necessarily a sign that it needs a neck reset.
Cheers, Jan. That's helpful.

Old 04-13-2024, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Olympia View Post
I've never seen either of those models. I stand corrected.
I see them for sale used occasionally but even with the solid tops, they seem to sell for the $400 or less that you mentioned seeing for listings of all-laminates in the G series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion