The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2021, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for opinions on a couple of Taylor guitars.

Even though my last name is Taylor, my experience with Taylor guitars is slim. I’ve always been more of a Martin guy and have owned more than than most sane folks would share! As far as Taylor’s go, I currently own a 2013 Taylor 918e First Edition and have owned a 914ce V-class. Both absolutely fantastic guitars but not really my cup of tea. I have the 918 listed for sale and have a trade offer for a 2018 Taylor K24ce V-class. I’ve never even had my hands on a Koa Taylor and was seeking advice or opinions on this potential trade.

If I traded I would more than likely be selling the K24ce. Would the values be equal??

Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2021, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

I'm a Gibson guy. I have two Gibsons, a Taylor717 and a Breedlove. I play them all weekly. But, the Taylor just doesn't excite me. If I had it to do over I'd get a Gibson J45. I'm not bad mouthing Taylor. I just expected more for 3 grand.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:21 PM

Justen, I love koa guitars but the koa Taylors that I’ve had a chance to play have been very hit or miss, with a high percentage of them not being guitars that I’d want to own. If you do go through with the trade make certain you can get your original guitar back if you don’t like the new one.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-18-2021, 09:23 PM

To answer your cost question: the K24ce and the 914ce are roughly the same price. At the time they were sold in 2018/19 they were $4999 (now they're $5199 I assume due to a recent price increase). You may have a little better luck reselling the K24ce due to the "exoticness" of Koa and, if you get a good example, it can be visually striking.

Having traded in a 914ce v-class for my SCGC OM (had to put in some added $$ but it's a trade I would make every day if I had to do it all over again) I can understand why the 914ce didn't excite you. It's a technically excellent guitar, very well made and put together. But at around that price point you're getting into boutique territory (or you were, before their recent price hikes in 2020).

I now own a 2019 K14c and a 2015 K24ce. They could not be more different. I first bought the K14c because I loved what the koa b/s did in concert to the baked sitka top. First of all the top was the most resonant of any Taylor I had tried (and I was in a room full of high end Taylors at LA Guitar Sales and this thing blew them all away in terms of overall projection and volume). The Koa made it sound very different to my existing guitars at the time which were all a variant of spruce on top of EIR or Mahogany. It had the clarity and overtones I like from EIR, but without the scooped mids.

The K24ce I bought because it was all koa and a custom ordered 12-fret model with a solid headstock (I don't know why, but I steer clear of slotted headstocks out of some unexplained irrational fear). I will tell you having Koa as a topwood (in addition to the b/s) will make a huge tonal difference to any spruce over EIR/hog combo you may be familiar with. My K24ce sounds so different from everything else in my arsenal. I put some Martin Retro strings on it and it sounds like an ultra-clear classical guitar, if that makes any sense. You might love it. You might not.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 08-18-2021, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I would just gently add that if you are able/willing to spend 900 series or K series money, then you are in a price range where Taylor is massively outshined and outgunned in the tone and uniqueness departments. Even if you like Koa.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
I would just gently add that if you are able/willing to spend 900 series or K series money, then you are in a price range where Taylor is massively outshined and outgunned in the tone and uniqueness departments. Even if you like Koa.
In fairness, he's already spent the money and like most goods, he's not going to get the value he put into it back, even with COVID price spikes. Even if he were to get 4K for it, which would be very optimistic given how readily available Taylors are, the boutiques now routinely start at well north of 5K (entry level Bourgeois are the exception, but SCGC and Collings now live mostly in the 6K+ range.

But I do agree with your assessment in terms of tone quality. If OP were willing to add more money (like I did when I traded in my 914ce plus cash for my SCGC OM) then I'd definitely go that route. I don't know his area of the country at all so I'm not sure what guitar shops near him would carry the boutiques and take in trades...
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 08-19-2021, 08:58 AM

Hi Justen, I wouldn't take a trade on a guitar that you think that you're going to end up selling. I'd hold off for a trade on a guitar that you would keep or a cash sale. The only exception would be if the guitar I was trying to sell is a difficult sell and the trade is an easy sale.

Let us know your decision.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I have an 814ce Dlx V and a GT K21e. Very different sounds. Love ‘em both.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Looking for opinions on a couple of Taylor guitars.

I appreciate all of the input. I’ve gone through literally 100’s of guitars over the years. It started as a search for “The One”. I’ve learned that “The One” doesn’t exist for me, so I keep trading/buying/selling simply for the joy of trying new things. I decided to trade my 918e for the K24ce so I can experience a new and different guitar that I’ve never had the chance to own before. I’m well aware of the guitars that are available in this price range, I’ve owned many!! I’m excited to give the K24ce a try. If I dig it, it may hang around for awhile. If I don’t, you’ll see it listed in the classifieds!! Some folks say I’m crazy for getting rid of super high-end guitars, but for me, it’s lots of fun giving “The Next One” a try! Thanks again for the input!!
Old 08-22-2021, 10:57 PM

I’ve owned 4 different koa Taylor’s. I find they are great guitars for clarity, for some reason are perfect to sing with, and very responsive.

I haven’t owned any $10k boutique guitars, but I think Taylor does a great job with koa and it is a specially of theirs to some extent. I think you may enjoy it.

Guitars I miss:

2015 Taylor 320
2004 Taylor 814ce L-7 Cocobolo

2003 Taylor 414ce L-5 Rosewood
2003 Taylor 314ce L-1 Koa

2001 Taylor 410 LOTF Koa
1998 Taylor 310

Pictures of Guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion