The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-10-2014, 05:21 PM

Default small body / travel sized classicals

Hello all. I'm looking for suggestions on smaller sized classicals that don't break the bank. I'm considering guitars like the Ami nylon, LaPatrie Motif, Cordoba requinto, perhaps even a Go Grand nylon. Are there other affordable parlor / travel sized nylon stringers that I am missing? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 PM

I have a Hill Estudio 628mm short scale in the AGF Classifieds that might be what you're looking for.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 PM

I have a Cordoba Cadete (615mm scale) and a Hill Estudio 628c (628mm scale). Both are fun guitars, but the Hill is definitely in another league. It is absolutely the equal (and in some ways, the better) of my Esteve 1GR07 and Yamaha G245-SII. The Cadete has nice tone, good volume...but does not have the balance or polish of the Estudio. Just kind of rough around the edges.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:00 AM

Smile

Cordobas are a safe bet, and true to the wide neck dimensions more than a great many cheaper off brand.

The Requinto 1/2 size and Cadete 3/4 are nice, and much like a full size C5- with cedar tops and mahogany back and sides. Great sound- sorta fragile though.

I have a Requinto- maybe a little too small, but I play it on the bed in front of the TV now and then.

Got a used Cadete through Guitar Center- very beautiful small guitar, but before the truss rods, and the action was just about to bow out beyond the very low I like- so took it back.

Ended up getting a Cordoba Protégé- the cheaper spruced top and mahogany back and sides-

and I love it- it's my "Starbucks" guitar and fits into a Fender strata-coustic gig bag I already had.

Got both the Requinto and Protégé as "blems" on ebay, and considerably under retail- the Protégé for less than $100 if I recall, and you'd be hard pressed to see or notice anything if they hadn't pointed them out in the ads. Both were new and have the truss rods.

At 160 normal retail, you could maybe even try out a Protégé 1/2 AND a 3/4 and the used market seems strong for resale especially if you could ship for ebay listing, if you wanted to get something else later.

I found out I'm really even more comfortable carrying the cheap and rugged Spruce topped Protégé around in public, or leaving it in the car for short periods. It still sounds great, a little more rugged, and a smaller investment.

I'm playing a 7/8 Cordoba Dolce almost all the time at home because the smaller scale just seems more comfortable and fast on older and previously broken fingers.

Last edited by harpon; 12-11-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the replies and info everyone!

Strings4him - that looks like a very nice guitar but sadly out of my budget.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical