The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2015, 08:05 PM

Default Mid 90s SCGC dreads

Anyone care to lend some feedback?

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 07-06-2015, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

...i had a 96 Mahogany D that was maybe the most aggressive sounding dreadnaught i've ever played....when i sold it through Steve Swans shop he listed it as having a bark louder than his dog Penny...it was loud and punchy and a really fine guitar for playing at Bluegrass jams which is why i bought it....i had gone in to purchase a Vintage Artist which is a more vintage sounding Mahogany Dread but opted for power that day...i played a bunch of Dreads that day and they were all excellent....
Old 07-06-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...i had a 96 Mahogany D that was maybe the most aggressive sounding dreadnaught i've ever played....when i sold it through Steve Swans shop he listed it as having a bark louder than his dog Penny...it was loud and punchy and a really fine guitar for playing at Bluegrass jams which is why i bought it....i had gone in to purchase a Vintage Artist which is a more vintage sounding Mahogany Dread but opted for power that day...i played a bunch of Dreads that day and they were all excellent....
Thanks JP.

Was eyeballing a German spruce/ koa VA dread from mid 90s. I'm guessing it might not sound quite the same.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

The SC website has some good info on what the basic tone goal for a VA is, and the koa/german on that one should skew it slightly, but not substantially. You could try emailing SCGC to see what they can tell you, or see if you can get a trial period with the guitar. I know which one your looking at, it's an incredible looking guitar, but I haven't had the pleasure of playing it. I it didn't have a 1-11/16 nut, it woulda been at my place a long time ago -
Old 07-06-2015, 09:41 AM

It does look amazing. The nut doesn't bother me on my current guitar, so that's why I'm entertaining it. I'd prefer 1 3/4, but for the right guitar I'd do 1 11/16

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

And I prefer 1-13/16 but I'll do 1-3/4 for the right guitar. I've learned from experience, I just can't do 1-11/16 - which is very unfortunate, especially when guitars like that are available -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion