The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Just stepped out to do a little work on the old homestead. Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:51 PM

There is a sweet Collings D2HA currently being offered in the classifieds for about a grand off the new store price. It is hard to go wrong with a Collings IMHO, though like everything, preferences are highly subjective.

I have no stake in this, but I am e-acquainted with the seller, and he is a great guy.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=136477

I own a guitar.

Last edited by TjthePhD; 10-25-2008 at 01:51 PM. Reason: picky about punctuation
Old 10-25-2008, 03:13 PM

id go luither but if i didnt, id for sure go with a huss and dalton dr-h with adi
Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 PM

Check with [email protected]

I think he may still have one left over from one of his recent guitar shows.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlott00 View Post
id go luither but if i didnt, id for sure go with a huss and dalton dr-h with adi
Really? Any luthier just automatically better? Wow. With the tremendous variance in tone within the set of "all luthiers who make Adi/Rosewood dreads" I'd want to know if I actually liked the tone of a builder's guitars.

I'd say unequivocally that builder difference massively outweighs wood difference. Factory, small shop, boutique shop, or one-man show, the difference is the builder not the wood.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Here's one to check out http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/HD28AWB.htm

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 10-25-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgadi View Post
Really? Any luthier just automatically better? Wow. With the tremendous variance in tone within the set of "all luthiers who make Adi/Rosewood dreads" I'd want to know if I actually liked the tone of a builder's guitars.

I'd say unequivocally that builder difference massively outweighs wood difference. Factory, small shop, boutique shop, or one-man show, the difference is the builder not the wood.

I'm pretty sure i didnt say that "any luthier was better"..in fact i didn't.

he asked our opinions....so i gave him mine...id buy another hodges to be more clear...bc i know i love the sound of them.

and out of the others he mentioned id go with a huss and dalton
so i gave my opinion as he asked for...how do you argue with my opinion?

he also is wanting the adi/rosewood so i threw in the "dr-h with adi" bc they dont come stock with adi...he wants adi.rw...not i

so really your reply to my post was pretty left field...maybe you should reread what the OP asked

maybe that was where you could understand what i meant?

COMMON since tells ya that he would have to play some luthier's guitars to find a builder he likes...geez...at least i thought it was common since
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
I don't post much but I hang out here and pick up tips all the time. Love it. Anyway, just curious where your hearts lie. If you were shopping for a higher end Adi/Rosewood Dread where would your money likely go? Collings? Bourgeois? Martin? Santa Cruz? Webber? Custom build by luthier(this is what I am most interested in since I really don't know about any)? Thanks!
I'm more of a Collings/Martin man myself.
For the money, hard to beat.
If money weren't an issues, I'd be looking more at some custom builders.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 10-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

I'd just go out, close my eyes, and play a bunch of dreads.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:52 PM

I have two Rosewood/Adirondack dreads ... a Martin and a Collings. They sound quite different, with the Collings being a bit brighter and the Martin more bassy ... I like both. I used to like the Collings more for fingerpicking, but the Martin has caught up over the years.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Follow the perennial advice: go play a bunch and decide what you like best. People argue about wood, builders, body styles, etc. To me, the absolutely most important factor is you -- what you, personally, like. There are some really fine guitars that leave me absolutely cold because they just don't sound the way I want my guitar to sound. They're wonderful, but not right for me. This past week, I played a bunch of Huss & Dalton, Bourgeois, Collings, Lowden, Froggy Bottom, Goodall, and who-knows-what-else guitars, mostly dreads and sloped dreads. They were all really nice instruments but I had strong likes and dislikes among them because they each are shooting for different objectives. They all were successful, too. But their targets weren't always my targets. I really wish we could find a way of choosing the perfect guitar without actually having to play a zillion of them but I'm becoming progressively more convinced (and I was pretty convinced to star with) that you really have to play the guitar you intend to buy. Of the guitars I mentioned above, all of which were very nice and very pricey, there were at least a couple that would sorely disappoint me if they arrived on my doorstep in a shipping carton. They just aren't built to produce the tone I want from a guitar. Other people would feel the same way about some of the guitars I really liked. Although I've asked, in the past, for the kind of advice you're seeking (and I did find people's opinions interesting and useful), ultimately you have to decide based on what you like. This is actually a good thing, but it can feel like a barrier at the early stages of looking for a guitar. Enjoy the journey.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:46 AM

No question for me - John Slobod of Circa guitars. The tone he gets from rosewood/adi is exactly what my ears like.

Sound clips of 3 Circas next to a bunch of other rosewood/adi dreads are here: http://www.guitarmatch.com/soundclips.htm.

I also like Huss & Daltons, the D-RH model especially. They're quite a bit cheaper used as they don't hold value well for whatever reason.

Disclaimer: I have financial interest because I'm now a Circa dealer.

Rockbridge Slope D
Martin America 1
Woolson Soundcraft Sig
Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 PM

I'd consider Bourgeois.

Regards,

Steve
Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlott00 View Post
I'm pretty sure i didnt say that "any luthier was better"..in fact i didn't.

he asked our opinions....so i gave him mine...id buy another hodges to be more clear...bc i know i love the sound of them.

and out of the others he mentioned id go with a huss and dalton
so i gave my opinion as he asked for...how do you argue with my opinion?

he also is wanting the adi/rosewood so i threw in the "dr-h with adi" bc they dont come stock with adi...he wants adi.rw...not i

so really your reply to my post was pretty left field...maybe you should reread what the OP asked

maybe that was where you could understand what i meant?

COMMON since tells ya that he would have to play some luthier's guitars to find a builder he likes...geez...at least i thought it was common since
I read what he said--you'll note my comments about adi/rosewood. You said "id go luthier". I thought that was vague and open ended, sorry.

"Hodges" is much more specific, and helpful I'd guess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion