The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Grenvilleter - now you've done it! Now the whole controversy about you being an employee of Blueberry Guitars will start again. I'm sure some folks still are convinced that Stewart must be. Will it never end.
Bah... I certainly don't care. It makes no diff to me. Some here know me from other forums and also my line of work.
As someone once said " The greater the Ignorance, the greater the Dogma" or words to that effect.
Actually, I met Stewart about a year ago. He drops by my shop on occassion to swap stories and see what's new.
It was through Stewart that I got my first glimpse of a Blueberry last spring. Otherwise I would be as ignorant as most here regarding their wares and products.

I hope Danny can make a go at his dream. I'm currently living mine. He is building quality axe's and the world always needs another good guitar.
With the enormous influx of good quality PacRim instruments over the last 5 years, it's a very tall order for Danny to overcome.

I hope Danny does not mind me speaking of him is such an informal way as we have never met. Perhaps someday I will get the pleasure. At least he is on the road to exposure and when I worked in the Broadcast industry there was a saying of "There is no such thing as bad press" or "even bad publicity is good publicity".
Looks like you got your fair share here Mr. Fodfetter. ( Sorry if I misspelled your last name.) All be it both good and bad.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Duplicate post.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-24-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenvilleter View Post
So…Stewart dropped by and showed me his Blueberry Groove.
Things I noticed-

1. The top is standard thickness ( approx-3.3 mm) to the top of the grooves. The grooves eat up about .75 mm in thickness and are spaced about the same distance apart. The grooves are placed for aesthetic appeal and do not appear to be strategically placed however I suspect if the grooves were in a uniform symmetry all across the top, lateral top stiffness would suffer greatly.
If the grooves were cut in the inside of the top, too much gluing surface area would be removed and brace/top failure would be the likely result.

2. The bracing is a non-traditional double X pattern and braces are approx. 6.4 mm thick.

3. Fingerboard, bridge and bridge plate is rosewood.

4. Headstock is not garish or overdone . It’s a simple rectangular cut ”Martinish” style headstock that is also grooved for visual symmetry.

5. The neck has grooves placed at the fret markers for a textured feel against your thumb to give a tactile indicator of where your hand is placed along the fretboard.

6. All glue joints , purfling and bracing is impeccably done.

7. Body is Sapele and top is spruce. I suspect Sitka but Blueberry calls it Alaskan Spruce.

8. Neck is a 3 piece laminate and appears to be dovetail neck joint. Also it is a 2 piece mahogany heel.

9. Nut width is 1-11/16 “.

10. The guitar has a very solid tone and impressive bass response ( for a “hog”). Projection is very adequate as well.

11. Finish of the guitar is an oil rub rather than a poly or nitro composition. Type unknown.

Overall thoughts- Fretwork was better done than previous Blueberries I’ve seen all be it they were post production models. Setup was very nice for average playing however when strummed aggressively, some fret buzz was noticed. Stewart’s guitar has been worked and definitely passed around a bit. The cosmetic war wounds it has sustained were noticeable however non-detracting. At worse case, the tops of some of the grooves had been damaged but again, it did not detract from the overall appearance.
Long term usage I think will cause dirt to show in the wood along the tops of the damaged grooves.

The Bridge plate showed premature wear around where the string ball rests and some damage either through improper string changes or the bridge plate itself was softer than normal resulting in considerable chipping and wear. This resulted in the tone being compromised I am certain but it was still very impressive. A maple bridge plate would be a big improvement IMO but I lean toward sugar maple bridge plates in any guitar.

There you have it from my perspective. No gimmicks that I can spot. Don’t take my word for it however. I'm just a nobody. The MAN said, if you want to try one, give him a shout. It just costs you freight to try it.
Thanks for the review!
It's convenient that Stewart lives close enough to you for you to be able to play his guitar.

Great info about what woods were used, nut size, how the neck was built, headstock design, general brace pattern and thickness.

Any thoughts on neck profile...string spacing/playability, ....set up.....neck angle.....intonation and tone maintanance up the fretboard...overall balance?

The risk with new design claims is that they can prey on peoples ignorance.
One way to cure ignorance is to light a candle and shine a light. In this case, a little correlation with current luthery science is always helpful.
And if something new is learned and the books have to be re-written, everybody wins.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-24-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM

I re-read my description and I really should rephrase.

The grooved top was done in a design that was somewhat eye appealing and none of the carved grooves ran parallel or 90 deg to to grain of the top. They went at 45 deg angles and were done into a box pattern going in 4 directions. Each series of grooves were in the shape of a rt angle triangle and the 4 fit together to form a box shaped pattern.

I was so intent on trying out the fret marker grooved neck and the tactile sensations against my thumb as to where my hand was when doing barre chords etc, I did not notice the neck shape too much. It was not a "V' style or a chunky Martin "D" or I would have noticed that. It was comfortable however hence lack of noticing any discomfort.

Tone was even up the fretboard and the guitar was very "punchy" if I may use the term. For me...the setup was too close and as I play bluegrass and I tend to lean of them a bit, I was getting some fret buzz. Stewart plays finger style and he had no probs from what I could hear.
Neck relief was very shallow but present. Strings were light gauge. A set of mediums may have pulled enough relief for me to pound it harder if I chose to.

I don't know what Blueberry recommends.
There was no sign of any bridge rotation and very minimal bellying in the top itself behind the bridge.
The back of the guitar was also grooved and Blueberry used 3 back braces internally across the back.

As there was bridge plate damage with this specific guitar, It really is not fair to try to judge what the tone was like. It was good but not overly impressive.
From what I did hear however, the potential is there. You could feel the whole guitar resonate when playing it.

Stewart has informed me he was in contact with Blueberry upon discovering the bridge plate wear and they are replacing it and he don't even have to pay the shipping. They are also giving him a loaner to use till they get his back to him.

I would like to hear it again after it's been repaired.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Default Blueberry owner

Wow, what a thread. I am glad that Danny came on to discuss his guitars. I have 4 blueberry guitars and each one is amazing. I purchased all of my guitars from Danny and I not only considered him the man that sold me the guitars, but also a friend since I talked to him quite a lot concerning the models I purchased. You will not find a nicer or more honest man.

I have no problem with Danny using Ebay to show case his guitars - it is a great way to advertise and to get the masses to see his amazing guitars. In a world where everyone seems to be making guitars, you have to find any outlet to get the word out about a new line. He also has dealers selling his guitars so ebay is not the only way he sells his line.

I go for the unusual guitars. I have a number of electric and acoustic guitars and all of them have something very unique about their appearance. That is my preference....great sounding guitars and also something about them that makes people stop and comment on how beautiful they are. Blueberry guitars are not only amazing in playability, sound, tone and great sustain but the visual appearance with those amazing carvings and inlays make it that much more spectacular.

The first three I have are some of the first that Danny's company produced. I love them all and I still sit there and look at those carvings everytime I get ready to play.

I also have the pleasure of owning the 1st Singular Masterpiece - the top of the line blueberry. It took 5 months to make and all of it was made by hand from the guitar to the amazing carvings and inlays....no machines where used. If you read Premier Magazine, there is a full page Blueberry ad with my singular being showcased. If you go on their website, my singular is on the first page. This is the finest sounding guitar I have ever played.....warm with ringing trebles. In my opinion, this guitar could also be place in an art museum.

I own a 1995 LTD Taylor GABE - I wanted a guitar with beautiful brazilian wood and I did buy this guitar - for the wood, the sound and also because it has beautiful inlays on the fret board,headstock and abalone binding - I got it all in this guitar but I have to say, if I put a blind fold on you, so you could not see all the bling and carvings that some have a problem with, had you play the Taylor and then the Singular, it might surprise you which guitar you pick as the best. The Singular is two steps ahead of the sound of the Taylor and the Taylor sounds beautiful.

I just don't care for plain, ordinary looking guitars - no matter how good they sound. I want the best of both worlds. However, in terms of Martins, I have never played one and would not put it down for the lack of presentation of it's looks. I am sure the high end Martins are worth every penny you pay for them. I did see the Millionth Martin that is now in the Martin Museum - incredible with the amazing inlays and gem stones. I heard they have made duplicates D-100 that are going anywhere from 80,000 to 100,000. There are some Martin lovers out there than paid that much for those guitars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The blueberry might not be everyone's cup of tea but it is mine and many other blueberry owners. It is each to his or her own and I hope that everyone is happy with their guitars. I know I am. Don't put them down because they have a pretty blinged appearance - play one, then make your decision.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Wow, what a thread. I am glad that Danny came on to discuss his guitars. I have 4 blueberry guitars and each one is amazing. I purchased all of my guitars from Danny and I not only considered him the man that sold me the guitars, but also a friend since I talked to him quite a lot concerning the models I purchased. You will not find a nicer or more honest man.

I have no problem with Danny using Ebay to show case his guitars - it is a great way to advertise and to get the masses to see his amazing guitars. In a world where everyone seems to be making guitars, you have to find any outlet to get the word out about a new line. He also has dealers selling his guitars so ebay is not the only way he sells his line.

I go for the unusual guitars. I have a number of electric and acoustic guitars and all of them have something very unique about their appearance. That is my preference....great sounding guitars and also something about them that makes people stop and comment on how beautiful they are. Blueberry guitars are not only amazing in playability, sound, tone and great sustain but the visual appearance with those amazing carvings and inlays make it that much more spectacular.

The first three I have are some of the first that Danny's company produced. I love them all and I still sit there and look at those carvings everytime I get ready to play.

I also have the pleasure of owning the 1st Singular Masterpiece - the top of the line blueberry. It took 5 months to make and all of it was made by hand from the guitar to the amazing carvings and inlays....no machines where used. If you read Premier Magazine, there is a full page Blueberry ad with my singular being showcased. If you go on their website, my singular is on the first page. This is the finest sounding guitar I have ever played.....warm with ringing trebles. In my opinion, this guitar could also be place in an art museum.

I own a 1995 LTD Taylor GABE - I wanted a guitar with beautiful brazilian wood and I did buy this guitar - for the wood, the sound and also because it has beautiful inlays on the fret board,headstock and abalone binding - I got it all in this guitar but I have to say, if I put a blind fold on you, so you could not see all the bling and carvings that some have a problem with, had you play the Taylor and then the Singular, it might surprise you which guitar you pick as the best. The Singular is two steps ahead of the sound of the Taylor and the Taylor sounds beautiful.

I just don't care for plain, ordinary looking guitars - no matter how good they sound. I want the best of both worlds. However, in terms of Martins, I have never played one and would not put it down for the lack of presentation of it's looks. I am sure the high end Martins are worth every penny you pay for them. I did see the Millionth Martin that is now in the Martin Museum - incredible with the amazing inlays and gem stones. I heard they have made duplicates D-100 that are going anywhere from 80,000 to 100,000. There are some Martin lovers out there than paid that much for those guitars. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The blueberry might not be everyone's cup of tea but it is mine and many other blueberry owners. It is each to his or her own and I hope that everyone is happy with their guitars. I know I am. Don't put them down because they have a pretty blinged appearance - play one, then make your decision.
Vision, thanks for your input.
You ought to speak up more on subjects other than Blueberries!

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-26-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:40 PM

Thanks Jeff and I will try my best to discuss other things than blueberry guitars but I am at a disadvantage here - besides the blueberry guitars and one amazing Taylor, I love and own 5 Adamas guitars. We know what some people think about those plastic guitars LOL

Have a good day Jeff.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart4328 View Post

So I sat down and began picking...I'm a finger picker no picks, just the flesh on my fingers, Without exaggerating....I almost fell out of my chair. I forgot to mention..body size is Grand Concert, so smaller than a dred. I had so many thoughts going through my mind, the volume was incredible and yet played softly did not loose any of it's character. The sustain on this guitar is nothing short of mind blowing. I have never heard anything like it before!! The highs ring the mid range seems to be perfectly balanced and really nice bass response without the boominess of some dreds, You can feel this guitar, it's like it's alive. You can feel it resonating on your leg, on your stomach and chest, on your picking arm and all the way up the neck!! This whole guitar just resonates!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenvilleter View Post

As there was bridge plate damage with this specific guitar, It really is not fair to try to judge what the tone was like. It was good but not overly impressive.
From what I did hear however, the potential is there. You could feel the whole guitar resonate when playing it.

Stewart has informed me he was in contact with Blueberry upon discovering the bridge plate wear and they are replacing it and he don't even have to pay the shipping. They are also giving him a loaner to use till they get his back to him.
Bridgeplate damage. Just imagine how wonderful the guitar will sound with a repaired bridgeplate!!!!!!!!

Regards,

Steve
Old 10-21-2008, 01:38 PM

Get the Guitar Center account!

Sammy
Old 10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

FYI
There is a new Blueberry Newsletter called the Blueberry Jam. As a small biz owner I am overwelmed how nice the new publication is right out of the box.
It goes over new woods, ideas. Where other ideas stemmed from......
I don't dare post a link. Use "The Google"

In an effort of full disclosure; Martin and Taylor have newsletters also.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:15 PM

I think that drawing a comparison to the brave people who flew an experimental and physically unlikely aircraft in that first shuttle to the bravery necessary to introduce some carving into guitar tops is cavalier or insouciant and even a bit carelessly patronizing.

I do agree that the future belongs to the brave when it comes to human issues, but.....carving in guitars? I thought as I read that post....Did I just read that? We need to take a step back for a minute and rethink what we're talking about here.

There is no good reason for the carvings, in my opinion, but they have won a certain tranche of market interest for Blueberry Guitars....mission accomplished and a job well done by a man with a new idea and an aggressive and ambitious introduction to the potential customer base.

New stuff is always cool and fun to see come around and be developed or abandoned as it is tested and found to be either de rigueur or disposable, not only on the factory floor, but in the real world where the guitars meet the players.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 10-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Hey Kevin. Some wack job painted what they called a Sunburst on a Ge-Tar. Funky lookin' thing, it'll never catch on
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 AM

Yamahjunkie,
Yeah, but when they did, it was clearly an aesthetic effort and no claims of improved tone came along with it.

That took an incredible amount of bravery to darken the edges of a guitar top. Somebody should have given
them a medal. Believe me, if the ealry burst efforts would not have ended up in the hands of players, they would
have dropped from guitar production like a hot rock.

They were intended to look nice and, when players liked them, they became a regular offering by every builder
on the planet. I don't think you're going to see many builders cutting into their tops, sides and backs any time soon.

I love a nice burst and have done plenty of them....and come to think of....those guitars might have been louder
and more responsive because of it. I probably should have called it my tone enhancing top perimeter pigment option
and charged five times more for it.

Now, I don't want to see any other builders marketing their bursts using that terminology. I may have to see about
throwing it into the PAF bucket.

Regards,
Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gallagher View Post
Yamahjunkie,
Yeah, but when they did, it was clearly an aesthetic effort and no claims of improved tone came along with it.

That took an incredible amount of bravery to darken the edges of a guitar top. Somebody should have given
them a medal. Believe me, if the ealry burst efforts would not have ended up in the hands of players, they would
have dropped from guitar production like a hot rock.

They were intended to look nice and, when players liked them, they became a regular offering by every builder
on the planet. I don't think you're going to see many builders cutting into their tops, sides and backs any time soon.

I love a nice burst and have done plenty of them....and come to think of....those guitars might have been louder
and more responsive because of it. I probably should have called it my tone enhancing top perimeter pigment option
and charged five times more for it.

Now, I don't want to see any other builders marketing their bursts using that terminology. I may have to see about
throwing it into the PAF bucket.

Regards,
So, Kevin, which burst do you think made the most improvement in tone?
Tobacco? Honey? Red?
Can you "burst tune" your tops by adjusting how wide the burst is in different areas?
I see a WHOLE new line here......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
FYI
There is a new Blueberry Newsletter called the Blueberry Jam. As a small biz owner I am overwelmed how nice the new publication is right out of the box.
It goes over new woods, ideas. Where other ideas stemmed from......
I don't dare post a link. Use "The Google"

In an effort of full disclosure; Martin and Taylor have newsletters also.
Ahh....marketing.
I love it when I pick up a nice new guitar publication..set it on my knee...brush open the pages and am overwhelmed by the pictures, the words....the tone of the magazine.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 10-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Try it

Hamony central now has two reviews on the Blueberry groove and both very favorable.

What does anyone have to lose but $75 - just for ship, the owner will send you a guitar of your choice to try out for 3 days. If you don't like it, they ship it back on their dime. So try a pure groove (front and back grooved) and then tell us what you think. That is what one of the reviewers did and he/she ended up buying the guitar. I can't think of another guitar company that will do that for anyone. Dear Martin and Taylor, can you send me a guitar so I can try it out for three days before I buy - Ah no! LOL

Tuesday, I will receive the hybrid groove - grooved on the front and the decorative carvings on the sides and back - oh any a beautiful eagle on the front also. This will be my 5th guitar and everyone of them still amazes me with their sound and the fact that you can actually feel the guitar resonating on your stomach, chest and arm. Never felt that on a guitar before so the carves are doing something amazing.

Before you critque them - try one for $75 bucks
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion