The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Default Martin Guitar Case Repair?

Hey Everyone,

So I was walking through the cold streets of NYC, and banged my guitar case on the ground. It chipped, and a piece broke off (the m-38 inside is fine, case works!) And I'm wondering if I should buy a new guitar case from Martin, or, uh, duct tape it up? I'm going to include a picture, let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM

Maybe that will work?

If not, here is the link...

http://postimage.org/image/9fzmiet4f/

Last edited by Joewp; 01-17-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: image link
Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Whippersnapper

I can't really answer your question, as it seems to be a tough call on a case like that. I might go looking for a new one.

However, regarding getting your picture to show up here, you need to copy the link with the .JPG extension at the end. Where you're hosting your picture, if you click "show codes" underneath, it pops up a bunch of embedding codes for various posting options. Choose the one by "direct link" (notice the .JPG on the end) and paste it here between the image tags (using the "insert image" button above the compose window). Then it should end up like this:

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 01-17-2012, 04:39 PM

JB WELD that puppy.
I'd take a dremel tool and cut a SHALLOW groove along the crack. Fill it and the hole w/JB WELD. Let it dry, smooth it out w/the dremel.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
JB WELD that puppy.
I'd take a dremel tool and cut a SHALLOW groove along the crack. Fill it and the hole w/JB WELD. Let it dry, smooth it out w/the dremel.
Wow, Fatstrat,

That's a great idea!

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2012, 06:26 PM

I like the JB Weld. Probably be stronger than the plastic was before.

Kind of related... I had an old Tama guitar case that was falling apart (the guitar was really nice, a late 70s 3-piece back all solid wood guitar -- I gave it to a young cousin a few years ago). But the case was barely able to contain the guitar. So, I explained to my picking buddy (that's a machinist) that I was going to surround the case in every direction with an all-covering layer of duct tape, then carefully slice around the top of the case, so it would open, and around the hinges to expose them for correct operation, and then make a run around the top and body of the case with a run of tape to cover the cuts. My bud was very adamant that this was a horrible idea, explaining that you'd never get the stickiness of the tape to go away. He started naming all the things that he had to clean duct tape off of in his work. So, I didn't do it. I thought much later that you could paint clear coat over it, and seal up the stickiness. I don't have the guitar anymore... BUT... I kept the case. One of these days....
Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Thanks for that Fatstrat. Now I just need to pick up a dremel! And thanks for the photo help Kyle, I don't often post pictures to forums!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion