The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
I actually copied my John Pearse arm rest onto a scrap piece of Brazilian rosewood and put it on my Guild D-25 - i used the 3m tape ( its the same tape that comes with the john Pearse )

I love these arm rests -yes it was fun to make -
The BR is absolutely gorgeous

Yep! I made one from a scrap of The Tree - its on my Taylor 12 string.

I made a BRW one and a few ebony ones - routing the edge is tricky (I stink at routering) but its a fun project

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-26-2024, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Yep! I made one from a scrap of The Tree - its on my Taylor 12 string.

I made a BRW one and a few ebony ones - routing the edge is tricky (I stink at routering) but its a fun project
Congratulations. That is some cool material.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
…..Anyway, I love them but I strongly caution you on this one: This 3M adhesive *WILL* attack Martin's nitrocellulose finish I had one and it started harming the surface after about 9 months. I know because I removed the and saw it. Also, the nitro is softer so its easier to damage the finish when removing (a separate type of finish damage).

So.......

I would suggest you NOT put one on a Martin
Me too. Not worth it. Several people here are sponsored by JP so be careful who tells you it’s fine and they have them on all their guitars. It is fine if you never remove it. It’s definitely not if you do.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:26 PM

I had a bad experience with a Martin using one of these. They worked just fine on Taylor’s UV cured finish. I am no longer using them in general. Not opposed necessarily. But, not motivated to do it again. I sold the ones I had on hand.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:33 PM

Jimi, speaking as someone who happens to be a John Pearse strings and accessories artist endorser, I have to say that I resent your insinuation that I would lie about any of this. I was using John Pearse strings and had the armrests on all my guitars more than a decade before John decided to make me an artist endorser.

Because they work precisely the way that they’re supposed to.

The official position of the company is that the armrests are supposed to be a permanent installation. But I’ve removed them from guitars many times with no dire results.

Incidentally, I don’t get a dime from John Pearse/Breezy Ridge, and never have. I’ve just had excellent performance from their products. That’s why I’m enthused about them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-27-2024, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Me too. Not worth it. Several people here are sponsored by JP so be careful who tells you it’s fine and they have them on all their guitars. It is fine if you never remove it. It’s definitely not if you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Jimi, speaking as someone who happens to be a John Pearse strings and accessories artist endorser, I have to say that I resent your insinuation that I would lie about any of this. I was using John Pearse strings and had the armrests on all my guitars more than a decade before John decided to make me an artist endorser.

Because they work precisely the way that they’re supposed to.

The official position of the company is that the armrests are supposed to be a permanent installation. But I’ve removed them from guitars many times with no dire results.

Incidentally, I don’t get a dime from John Pearse/Breezy Ridge, and never have. I’ve just had excellent performance from their products. That’s why I’m enthused about them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Wade, there is NO insinuation that you lie. ZERO. NONE. Please re-read my post.
“be careful who tells you it’s fine and they have them on all their guitars. It is fine if you never remove it. It’s definitely not if you do.”

Versus your statement, “Because they work precisely the way that they’re supposed to. The official position of the company is that the armrests are supposed to be a permanent installation.

All I’m saying is that there are at least 15 JP armrest threads (and probably 20 on JP strings being corroded out of the package) over the last 10 years. You have several posts in each saying that they remove easily and Fazool, myself, and others have had several (3 for me) guitars permanently marked up. Please go back and re-read all my posts as I say the same thing each time too. I say, “be careful” because you are sponsored and you do post in every JP thread. The arm rests work as advertised, they are supposed to be permanent and they will keep your arm from dampening the top. I’m very careful and work on my own guitars and I’ve installed and removed many and 3 and tops were damaged.

You have a different experience. It’s your business. Post whatever your experience is and no one will call you dishonest. My experience is different and my experience ruined 3 guitars so all I say is buyer beware.

This is a fun community and we all have different experiences. When someone new asks a question, they should expect different opinions from different people and get a general feeling to help guide them. Let’s keep it fun!
Old 04-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I had a Martin D18 on which I had a Pearse armrest. When I sold that guitar, I took the armrest off and cleaned it up. I saw no issues and it looked as new (to me). When the buyer received it, he asked what was going on with the upper bout. He sent me pictures of minor pitting of the finish along the edge. It had a very minor orange peel look. I was quite surprised as I had not seen that myself. It took magnification by a camera lense to see it. I offered him a refund, or I'd give him $100 for his trouble. He took the latter.

I have since quit using them on expensive guitars like my Martins. I still use them on some of my less expensive guitars though. I think they are a good addition in general, but they MAY leave a mark. Again, your mileage may vary. I don't think it's a given that they will interact with the finish. It's probably as much to do with how well cured the finish is. However, I really don't know for sure. I would simply say, treat it as a permanent addition. If you want an armrest, by all means go for it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion