The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Hands Lotion - anyone bought any lately?

A few years ago, someone on the forum turned me on to "Guitar Hands" lotion and I've been using it every since. I'm starting to get a little low, and I went on their site today to try to order a couple more tubes. The site is still live and they still have a functional ordering system. UNTIL you get to check out. Neither a PayPal or credit card order would go through. I double checked with my bank and the problem isn't on the bank's end, so I'm wondering if Guitar Hands is still a going entity?

In the past when I ordered it, I never got an email confirming the order - I'd just get a package a week or so later. So, no record of when I last bought any - I'm guessing about a year ago.

So, just wondering if anyone else here has ordered any successfully within the past few months? Wondering if they're still selling the stuff, or if I'm gonna have to find some next best thing...

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 05-03-2021 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

I ordered and received some a month ago, with no problem.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:14 PM

Great product. I use it too. You can also buy it through the JP Strings website. Here is the link:https://www.jpstrings.com/brnew.htm
Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Updates

I've run into problems with some sites following through on a transaction. Often is because they what me to update my OS or browser. Backwards compatibility is a vanishing principle these days. I tend to delay updates because too often problems come along with the updates.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 05-03-2021, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Awesome - thanks everyone!

I've bought stuff from JP Strings before - they're just up the road from me anyway. I'll give 'em a call tomorrow.

I appreciate the help...

-Ray
Old 05-04-2021, 02:20 PM

I’ve never heard of this product. Can someone explain its benefits, please? Does it soften calluses and if so does it lessen finger pain “protection”? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2021, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Never tried "Guitar Hands" but use O'Keefe's regularly at night before bed. I must have dry hands cause they still crack and this stuff is supposed to work? At this point I'd try just about anything. I'm used to this happening during the winter but not this time of year?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-04-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdinterman View Post
I’ve never heard of this product. Can someone explain its benefits, please? Does it soften calluses and if so does it lessen finger pain “protection”? Thanks.
It’s a hand cream or lotion developed by a dermatologist who plays. It’s all explained in some detail on the website. The website is sort of cartoonish online advertising, but there’s a lot of information there too. I use a dab of the stuff on my fingertips every time I play. A tube of it costs $16 and lasts me about a year, maybe a little less. I also use bag balm on my fingers before I go to bed at night. The combination keeps my callouses supple enough to keep from cracking and preventing grooves from getting too deep. Here’s theor site:

https://www.guitarhands.com/

I wasn’t able to order from them this time around, but ordered some today from JPstrings...

-Ray
Old 05-04-2021, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I ordered some a couple months back and it did take a bit longer than usual to get it. I just chalked it up to the pandemic. Great stuff.
Best,
Jayne
Old 05-04-2021, 09:43 PM

I got some last year and I'm still working on it. Great stuff.

A lot of small businesses struggle with e-commerce. It's not unusual to experience glitches in payment systems connected to websites.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-04-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It’s a hand cream or lotion developed by a dermatologist who plays. It’s all explained in some detail on the website. The website is sort of cartoonish online advertising, but there’s a lot of information there too. I use a dab of the stuff on my fingertips every time I play. A tube of it costs $16 and lasts me about a year, maybe a little less. I also use bag balm on my fingers before I go to bed at night. The combination keeps my callouses supple enough to keep from cracking and preventing grooves from getting too deep. Here’s theor site:

https://www.guitarhands.com/

I wasn’t able to order from them this time around, but ordered some today from JPstrings...

-Ray
I just tried to order online, it rejected the payment.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I also use bag balm on my fingers before I go to bed at night. The combination keeps my callouses supple enough to keep from cracking and preventing grooves from getting too deep.
-Ray
Can you tell us a little bit more about Bag Balm, and how it differs from Guitar Hands?
Keeping callouses supple is such an important factor for someone like me who plays Medium gauge strings. I usually have to sand my callouses a bit.
If I remember Correctly, Guitar Hands is really a cleaner more than a moisturizer.
I have been using Hard as Hoof for my nails, but I apply the cream with my left hand onto the right. I think this has also kept my callouses a bit softer.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:19 AM

Great, another solution looking for a problem. I wonder how many more products we can be expected to buy because they have the word 'guitar' in the description. So far we have 'guitar' nail files, seats, moisturiser. I'm sure there must be a few more 'essentials' we all need. Looks like L'Oreal missed a great marketing opportunity here...
Old 05-05-2021, 04:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Can you tell us a little bit more about Bag Balm, and how it differs from Guitar Hands?
Keeping callouses supple is such an important factor for someone like me who plays Medium gauge strings. I usually have to sand my callouses a bit.
If I remember Correctly, Guitar Hands is really a cleaner more than a moisturizer.
I have been using Hard as Hoof for my nails, but I apply the cream with my left hand onto the right. I think this has also kept my callouses a bit softer.
Bag Balm was originally made for treating cow udders (the “bags” in question) that were beat up from lots of milking. I’d bet it’s still used that way. I discovered it 25 years ago when I was a hard core cyclist - best thing I ever found for keeping your nether regions in reasonable shape when you were spending hours per day on a skinny bicycle saddle. It’s used by a LOT of cyclists and a lot of women use it as a skin moisturizer. It has the consistency of Vaseline, but it’s a bit heavier and has different stuff in it. I just kind of dip my calloused fingertips in it in the evening, work it around for a little while, then rub the excess into my fingers and hands. My callouses are often pretty rough at night if I’d played a lot that day - in the morning they’re not. I very rarely have to sand my callouses anymore - maybe every few weeks if a rough edge develops somewhere.

I don’t know why or how any of this stuff works, but I read about the combination here a few years ago, tried it, and haven’t looked back - it just works for me. Way better than anything else had. I don’t have any nails to speak of - I play with bare fingers or fingerpicks when I’m not using a plectrum, so I don’t know what works there.

-Ray
Old 05-05-2021, 09:40 AM

This seems to cover it, by the inventor himself.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=211518

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion