The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 11:55 AM

Default My gutiar set up - what should I do?

I have been spending my afternoon here checking my old Taylor 210's set up. Have never really paid much attention to this so I am fairly new and unexperienced when it comes to interpreting the numbers...These are my current numbers

Nut (height at 1st fret pushing down on 3rd fret)
6th string - 0,75mm (0,03 inches)
1st string - 0,50mm (0,02 inches)

Action (measured at 12th fret)
6th string - 3-3,25mm (0,12-0,13 inches)
1st string - 2,5mm (0,1 inches)

Relief (capo on 1st fret and last fret measuring at 12th fret)
6th string - 1,25-1,5mm (0,05-0,06 inches)
1st string - 0,5-0,75mm (0,02-0,03 inches)

From what I have been able to read, all the numbers seem higher than desireable. So, where do I start?
Appreciate any comments or ideas you may have as to how to proceed
Old 05-01-2024, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

The action is high for sure. Given it is a Taylor I would take it it get it setup to an authorized repair shop. With Taylor’s they are supposed to change the shim to adjust the action vs the saddle
Old 05-01-2024, 12:20 PM

Is the saddle original and unmodified? I'd get a fresh Wave saddle from Taylor and have the neck shims done to start.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

A couple corrections:

When measuring nut height, you don't need to fret the string at all - just check the height at the first fret.

When checking relief, you wat to fret at the 15th fret (1 & 15) and check at 7

A good sequence is to do the following:

1a) Set the neck to dead flat via the truss rod.
1b) with a straightedge measure a flat line from top of frets to bridge - it should line up perfectly with the top surface of the bridge.
1c) using neck shims in matched pairs, and per Taylor procedures, adjust neck angle until 1b is achieved.

2a) measure action at 1st fret
2b) sand down bottom of nut until you get height that you prefer
2c) you might clean up or file the nut slots depending on condition etc.

3a) measure action at 12th fret
3b) calculate how much "too high" action is by subtracting height minus desired
3c) sand 2X that amount off bottom of saddle to bring action down

4a) Tune to proper pitch
4b) fret 1 with capo and hold at fret 15
4c) measure relief at fret 7. should be .006"
4d) adjust truss rod until 4c is achieved

tune and enjoy

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-01-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
The action is high for sure. Given it is a Taylor I would take it it get it setup to an authorized repair shop. With Taylor’s they are supposed to change the shim to adjust the action vs the saddle
Here you go, all you need. Take it to a Taylor authorized shop (that's where the shims are) and tell them how you play and how you would like it. Many shops are 2+ weeks out so you won't likely be able to pick it up in a day (of course that depends on your shop). It will likely be night & day different when you get it home.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
Here you go, all you need. Take it to a Taylor authorized shop (that's where the shims are) and tell them how you play and how you would like it. Many shops are 2+ weeks out so you won't likely be able to pick it up in a day (of course that depends on your shop). It will likely be night & day different when you get it home.
Looks like Taylor dealer is going to be the best option...I was hoping I would be able to solve this at home, but maybe another time.

Thank you all for your comments!
Old 05-01-2024, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_274 View Post
Looks like Taylor dealer is going to be the best option...I was hoping I would be able to solve this at home, but maybe another time.

While getting a Taylor dealer to setup your guitar may be your current best option, I would suggest you to continue learning. I realize it may not be for everyone, but learning to properly service a guitar, including create nuts and saddles from scratch, fret leveling and replacement, has proven more than useful. Takes awhile to learn to be proficient at it, along with investment in proper tools, but I take great satisfaction in being able to setup my guitars exactly how I want them.

That being said, taking your guitars to someone who knows what they are doing is always a good option.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 05-01-2024, 09:57 PM

Default a thought

Quote:

There's Taylor dealers and there's Taylor-authorized service providers. Dealers sell, they may well not service.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:23 PM

What is your tuning ? I've found Standard D is what I set my acoustic to be and then I use a capo to get the 1/2 step tunings to Standard E. With the action height for Standard D dialed in, the 12-53 set of strings lay down where they're supposed to be & that really doesn't change with the capo to get to Eb & Standard E. Never been happier with this guitar for that for playable. 2011 Ovation Applause AE128 super shallow. The low end bass strings are deeper and more resonant.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:54 AM

Quote:

This is the reason to own multiple guitars. When one is down another gets put into service.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
There's Taylor dealers and there's Taylor-authorized service providers. Dealers sell, they may well not service.
Strangely enough I have no service providers where I live (Madrid, Spain). Closest is Barcelona, so I will have to figure out something else...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion