The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Have you listened to Mike Beck...sort of a modern version of cowboy songs...songs about the west...his horse etc. Good stuff...he plays a Gibson AJ, too.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

As an interesting aside, check out the history of the writing of Don't Fence Me In.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:46 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Silly Moustache nails it !

Great song of yours Andy, but I am afraid it may be disqualified ... It's got waaay too many chords for true cowboys !
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:51 AM

Default cowboys

To the OP and others - Yes I like this stuff as well and perform some of it. I put it in three categories. One are the original folk songs, the simple songs which real cowboys sang (Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie, Little Joe the Wrangler,...). Then there were the movie-based and songs from the heyday of cowboy popularity (1930's-60's). Ridin' Down the Canyon is one of them. And last is Western Swing; that's the "Western" of what used to be called "Country and Western". As time progressed, these songs got increasingly more complex and more interesting, but I'd draw the line at saying "better". It's all good.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
As an interesting aside, check out the history of the writing of Don't Fence Me In.
Oh yeah, thanks man, what we need, set us a research project !

How bout a link there pardner ?
Old 11-15-2015, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
To the OP and others - Yes I like this stuff as well and perform some of it. I put it in three categories. One are the original folk songs, the simple songs which real cowboys sang (Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie, Little Joe the Wrangler,...). Then there were the movie-based and songs from the heyday of cowboy popularity (1930's-60's). Ridin' Down the Canyon is one of them. And last is Western Swing; that's the "Western" of what used to be called "Country and Western". As time progressed, these songs got increasingly more complex and more interesting, but I'd draw the line at saying "better". It's all good.
Good points. The movie songs are pop songs in the style of the era but with cowboy or western themed lyrics to suit the story. I like some of those songs. Call Of The Canyon or I've Got Spurs That Jingle Jangle Jingle come to mind.

Of course Western Swing isnt really cowboy music at all but rather country music laced with swing. I really like Western Swing. I perform a number of the simpler Bob Wills or Cindy Walker tunes.

There is a Western Music Association whose performers keep cowboy music alive. Lets just say the people who like it really like it. There is some great singing. It is an aquired taste. I can't get into it but that's just me.

I prefer my cowboy music straight up like whiskey neat or black coffee, Yodeling Slim Clark style.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 AM

You mentioned Chuck Pyle, Christine Lavin posted this video in Chuck's memory this week. This is the first song I heard Chuck sing (complete with poem intro) on one of Chris's complilations, Big Times in A Small Town. I became an instant fan. He is missed.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Check out Riders in the Sky (the group, not the song) if you think cowboy songs are all simple. Ranger Doug has some pretty fancy grips. I can't seem to figure out the embed process, but the link should work.

https://youtu.be/-FrbwJYyLW0
Old 11-15-2015, 08:41 AM

Excellent posts guys. I am learning a lot. I am more convinced that this is the niche I should be in-----Authentic Cowboy songs------even though I have never lived outside of Indiana. However, I have read a lot about the old west and have loved it since I was a kid. I would love to be part of the process of keeping alive the heritage that is the old west. By the way, are most cowboy songs just a few chords? If so, why is that so? I love them, but the guitar work is mainly strumming is that correct? I don't have a problem with that and it suits me well but just curious. Thanks for the education guys.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Blimey ! This old Limey never expected such nice remarks, thank you.
You are more than welcome. You got me cowboy!
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 11-15-2015, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Here's one of my favorite current singer songwriters in the
Western/Cowboy genre - Joyce Woodson. You should really check out her music.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-15-2015, 10:39 AM

Fantastic song Jayne and what a wonderful voice! Lovely lyrics. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbman View Post
Fantastic song Jayne and what a wonderful voice! Lovely lyrics. Thanks for sharing that.
Glad you liked it. I met her at a songwriting camp a few years back and enjoyed taking a class from her. And, I too, am from Indiana.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Yipee ty yi ya, and a ahoo.. That put a smile on my face
Old 11-15-2015, 11:16 AM

Don Edwards:

http://www.donedwardsmusic.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion