The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-21-2024, 07:40 PM

Default soundboard (K&K type) install help needed

I purchased a couple JJB pickups and Jessie recommended 20 mm for my 12 string and the 15mm for a Yairi. The tutorial he sent showed putting the transducers directly under the saddle in front of the bridge pins. If I were to put them there They'd be slammed against the the pins and probably would hang over the bridge plate a mm or two. I can't see how they wouldn't get pinched by the string balls at some point and I'd have to affix the wires through the double row of pins.

I always thought you installed the transducers BEHIND the bridge pins (which I have plenty of bridge plate for).

Is it necessary to put them up front? I can see how it might produce a hotter signal but logically seems like asking for trouble.

Last edited by peetar; 03-21-2024 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:05 PM

Under the saddle is the correct location. Some guitars can’t accommodate the discs without hanging over and/or touching the pins, neither of which is good.
I’d contact the manufacturer and ask if they think the 15mm size would work on the 12 string.

Rb
Old 03-21-2024, 08:19 PM

Thanks. I have a 15 too so I'll try to get the 20 to fit (all on the bridge plate), if that's not gonna work I'll use the 15.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:54 AM

Clearance from the string ball ends is important but unlikely to damage the piezo as its two electrodes are separated by a fairly thick slice of the nonconducting crystal piezo core. A little overhang is also no big deal to a bending sensor.

Try not to bring the eye of drop fill finish obsession to this problem as there is no reward.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-22-2024 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:26 AM

First, different guitars have different amounts of clear area in front of the pins on which to mount transducers. It's always a good idea to check your particular instrument and see which size disks will fit. I know that there are a few traditional guitar models that have bridge plates that are too small to use K&K transducers on.

Second, disks are positioned between pin pairs, so ball ends shouldn't have any possibility of contact. You want to make sure ball ends DO NOT contact the disks.

Check the relationship of where the pins are to where the saddle is located. The disks work best directly below the saddle slot, although small misalignment is OK.

The wires face the NECK, and they curve downward as the cabling goes to the output jack. I always give the output jack a turn or a bit more while watching the cable with an inspection mirror. The cable will form a nice loop below the bridge plate where it won't contact any surface to create errant buzzing or noise. Tighten the jack in this position.

Having used both JJB and K&K products, the installation instructions for JJB are very poorly written and K&K products come with much better instructions and also clear a plexiglass alignment jig and "golf tee" to assist with proper positioning.

The much better installation instructions for K&K products are available on the K&K website to freely download. I suggest JJB users take advantage of Dieter's quality instructions. The JJB products are less expensive, but you do "pay the price" for that. First time users are often the ones who need better information and instructions the most.

A few K&K Pure (and JJB...) installation tips HERE.

Last edited by Rudy4; 03-22-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:42 AM

Thanks Rudy. I made some templets last night to figure out exactly what I have to work with, and I can get the 20mm's in there. Letting the wires drop off the neck side makes it a whole lot easier.

I'll get it installed well this evening. Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2024, 05:32 PM

I've installed 4-5 K&K pick ups on 6 strings and have always installed them in back of the pins. I believe that's what the instructions from K&K say to do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair