The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2013, 11:25 AM

My Blueridge BR163 is loud without sacrificing tone.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM

Alvarez AP-70, Taylor GS-Mini, Walden T550...
Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Mini Sustain

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin71 View Post
Loud, but not a lot of sustain.
Easily improved, at least in my case. I recently added bone saddle and I was amazed at sustain difference from this simple mod.

It still does not have sustain of my larger GS, but this is a $500 (now $550) guitar, that can go almost anywhere without fear.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
Easily improved, at least in my case. I recently added bone saddle and I was amazed at sustain difference from this simple mod.

It still does not have sustain of my larger GS, but this is a $500 (now $550) guitar, that can go almost anywhere without fear.
I may have to look into that. Other than the lack of sustain, I love my GS mini - especially comfortable for sitting on the couch and messing around. I've heard the saddle size for the GS Mini is not the same as the standard saddle. Is that correct? May I ask where you got yours?

“Out of dialogue with others comes rhetoric. Out of dialogue with yourself comes poetry.”
Old 11-11-2013, 03:26 PM

I am quite pleasantly surprised by the amount of votes for the GS Mini. (I Love mine and I've got Martins... just sayin'....)

I thought this thread would fill right up with Larris and whatever, less ubiquitous brands.

Where has the OP gone ?
He could narrow it down, by giving us a few more clues to what he means by "small" and how much of his money he wants us to spend for him ...
Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Parlor sized reso. Can't be beat if loud is all you want.

Frivolity aside, if you are looking at the GS Mini, compare the spruce and mahogany topped versions if you have the chance. I preferred the latter. You get to 00 size and I've tried a couple of Gibson Blues Kings whose sound I liked, and they were plenty loud. Also the Martin 00-15; there must be lots of others. Where IMO you lose in small bodies is the cutting power of the lower registers, and they can sound boxy.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM

I will give my vote to the Taylor GS Mini. I have a Limited Rosewood model, and it has great sound, and volume.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:07 PM

I used to have a Recording King 627 (12 fret)... a very loud and balanced guitar for her size (000). I only sold her because the neck had an uncomfortable Vintage V shape for my hands. The sound was truly great!!!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:24 PM

I have a Blueridge BR 143SBA that is quite loud, indeed!
Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

I would have probably bought a GS Mini except for the 1 11/16" string width at the nut. I did just receive a Marin 0-15 Custom from Ted at LAGS and I have to say it is a loud little guitar with a typical all mahogany voice. Much fuller/larger than I would have thought for it's smaller size? Granted...it's twice as much as the Mini but if you're looking for a smaller (24.9" scale) guitar with a 1 3/4" nut width this little 0-15 is quite a catch.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:29 PM

my hauver blind blake and blueridge br371 are both plenty loud- the hauver has a great tone, the blueridge just loud

Last edited by scriv58; 11-11-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin71 View Post
I may have to look into that. Other than the lack of sustain, I love my GS mini - especially comfortable for sitting on the couch and messing around. I've heard the saddle size for the GS Mini is not the same as the standard saddle. Is that correct? May I ask where you got yours?
Hi Pengun, the bone saddle was custom made by my luthier guy (he services my guitars, he does not build me guitars (yet:-)). He charges a standard $50 (seems to be fairly standard) and with an added set up out the door for $85 total. So, I would check local luthier/high-end techs, you might be able to do better. If you're near Austin I can share his contact info.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:45 PM

My Voyageair Model B (handbuilt by Harv) is an amazingly focused parlour guitar and holds it's own quite nicely in a room full of dreads and banjos. It is ballsy, not harsh. Great fun to play, very easy to hold, and beautiful to behold.

Last Thursday a buddy playing a D18 remarked on how loud my guitar was, and I was just playing along with his song.

Here I am with my favourite roady setting me up to play it:

Yes, parlours can hold their own with the big guys. But it may take you finding an exceptional parlour!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 11-12-2013, 12:14 AM

The Huss &Dalton OO-SP is incredibly loud for its size. The light build and deeper body really projects some sound.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloywhite View Post
Every orchestra-sized Eastman I have played, including two that I have owned, has been very loud compared to other similar sized guitars I have tried.
+1. My E8 om is so loud that I have a hard time hearing myself sing. And that my friends is a good thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion