The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Thanks all, appreciate the responses!

Anyone have an idea of what replacing the bridge/saddle would cost? I'm leaning toward replacing it, I think the potential sound improvement opportunity outweighs keeping everything original.
It depends on how you decide to do it. If the screws,plastic and metal can be removed from the bridge then a simple bone saddle may be placed in lieu of all that. A luthier could fill the bridge then cut for a new saddle (This would be the cost effective/rewarding) Or a slightly thicker saddle could be used (Most cost effective/semi rewarding) And of course the most rewarding and least cost effective would be a bridge swap. I am sure any of these 3 options would run between $90-$300 depending on the approach. If you desire to keep all original parts for resale then option 2 will allow the lift, screws and saddle to be reused if desired. This with some nice ebony slotted pins, you would hear quite a difference and surely keep it on budget (and original).
Old 10-04-2018, 01:49 PM

^^^^^^^^

I second this....and...

I have a ‘64 B-25, hardwood bridge with adj bridge, the saddle is white plastic.
I use ej16s on it and it rings.....bare fingers

12fretter from Stuart fl had a J-50, his luthier filled the bridge then recut for a bone saddle. I had my ‘68 J-50 adj saddle replaced with a ceramic saddle that I can remove, replace the orig.
My suggestion is play the B-25 steady for a few months, try different strings before altering anything.

“Time flies,
Love stays “
Old 10-04-2018, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Changing the bridge and saddle will make it sound different. Weather or not you will like it is subjective. I've played adj saddle guitars I wouldn't give ten cents for. I've played converted guitars I wouldn't give ten cents for.

My Texan has a ceramic adj bridge. I would not change it. I've had the conversation with two respected luthiers. Both said, on my guitar, do nothing.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Default I have my Dads '66 B25-N

it is all original.
When my dad passed away, I had not seen the guitar for years, and had actually forgot about it.
The guitar had not been played for years, and the strings had never been loosened up, nor had there ever been any type of humidification measures taken for this guitar.
The neck was still straight, and there was no belly in the top, and no cracks.
I immediately loosened up the strings, and put a humidipac in it and shut the case. A few weeks later, I put on a new set of strings, and was amazed at how well it played, and it actually sounded better than I remembered it sounding the last time I played it years before.
I don't play it very often because of the narrow nut.
I put a set of SP Lifespans on it, and get it out every so often to check up on it and play it.
Even if I were going to play it more often I don't think I would swap out the bridge and adjustable saddle.
For me they add to the uniqueness of the guitar. It probably would sound "better",,,but it wouldn't sound like Dads Gibson.
Now, if you will excuse me I think I am going to go Pour myself a Bourbon, and play Dads Gibson and do a little reminiscing.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Thanks all, appreciate the responses!

Anyone have an idea of what replacing the bridge/saddle would cost? I'm leaning toward replacing it, I think the potential sound improvement opportunity outweighs keeping everything original.
I would recommend to leave it and just replace the saddle with the Tusq direct replacement...I think somebody makes the bone version too.

Recently Gibson has reissued the adjustable bridge J45 and they were considered excellent guitars.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-04-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Changing the bridge and saddle will make it sound different. Weather or not you will like it is subjective. I've played adj saddle guitars I wouldn't give ten cents for. I've played converted guitars I wouldn't give ten cents for.

My Texan has a ceramic adj bridge. I would not change it. I've had the conversation with two respected luthiers. Both said, on my guitar, do nothing.
I agree with this assessment.

In the end you'll have more money tied up in a student model guitar that will never sound like you hope it will and you'll have modded it and affected resale.
I owned the exact guitar. It sounded small and toy-like. I received all the suggestions to add this and that and then realized it would sound like a slightly better, toy-like guitar.
The effort, money and anticipated satisfaction could be better directed on another project, IMO.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 10-04-2018, 05:41 PM

I have one I purchased new in 1972. I'd never consider changing the bridge; if you want a different sound, I'd get a different or additional guitar rather than modify irretrievably what is now a classic little instrument and destroying what value it would have to a collector or purist. By all means experiment with different strings, but it may be a mistake to make a structural modification.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:59 PM

B-25-N was my first guitar, freshman year of college. $130 and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Then I played a friend's Martin and it was the first time I realized I had a 1-5/8" nut. I sold it immediately for $100 and got a new, 1974 000-28, $300. The nut width fit me much better. It was a good sounding guitar. Still have the Martin and it has never had a neck set, just lowered the saddle a tiny bit once.

Ed
Old 10-11-2018, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Update: I purchased a bone saddle replacement specifically for vintage Gibson guitars (https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...ustic-guitars/) and installed it tonight, along with some new bone bridge pins.

The difference between the two saddles is staggering, though not unexpected. The guitar is much louder and richer sounding with the bone saddle, and the sustain is much improved as well. The guitar still has the same vintage Gibson sound which I love. The best part is that I didn’t have to rip the bridge off, I just screwed the new saddle in and have the old one in the case if I ever decide to sell it. Thanks to Philadelphia Luthiers for this great replacement saddle.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM

Don't ya just love it when these things happen like this?

Glad it worked out and I hope you play and love it for years.

Ain't nothin' like a Gibson...

Best,
PJ
Old 04-19-2024, 09:25 AM

Replace the saddle with a compensated bone saddle, and keep the plate that's attached to the screws, and leave the screws on it. Have your luthier set it up with low-action. I installed a "Journey" 3-plate piezo pickup on mine. You will never need another 6-string guitar. B-25s are special. Put Santa Cruz low-tension strings on it, and it should sound like this. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2SiOb3nI2Y
Old 04-19-2024, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I like the sunburst!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion