The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Default How many times have you changed your mind?

How many times have you changed you mind?

Been living the One-in-one-out life for the last couple of years.
Ever time I see a guitar i am interested in I think about which one I would sell or trade. Once I decide, I do a deep clean, put a fresh set of strings on and get ready to take some pics.

Once it’s tuned up I’m reminded of why I loved it it to begin with. For a local purchases it might be easier but I can’t seem to get off the fence with selling these days, which means nothing new (to me) coming in. One day all but one might go but for now……

How about you, have you flipped flopped on guitars you were going to sell or trade. Which guitar and what did you want
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 03-27-2024 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:33 AM

I don't change my mind about selling instruments. I change my mind about buying them.

Since I do most of my shopping online, it's impossible to know how much I'll love an instrument. If it's not a keeper, I don't keep it.

Right now I have a squareneck for sale. I won't change my mind about selling it. And I already know that the one I bought recently is a keeper. I won't change my mind about that, either.

Now you know. Why do you ask?

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 03-27-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

/sigh......this question is *SO* timely. Yes I am fickle to myself and, wrestling with this today

Over 7 years:

I bought a beat up 000-15 and restored it. I loved it so much but it wasnt quite the "right" geometry for me (scale and nut) so I sold it.

I regretted selling it and bought a 000-15M. I loved it so much. It remembered it wasnt quite the "right" geometry for me (scale and nut) so I sold it.

I regretted selling it and bought a OMC15. I loved it so much. It remembered it wasnt quite the "right" geometry for me (scale and nut) so I sold it.

I regretted selling it and bought a 000-15M. I loved it so much. It remembered it wasnt quite the "right" geometry for me (scale and nut) so I sold it.

I regretted selling it and bought a 000-15. I loved it so much.

(and that even doesn't include my J15 and D15 iterations)

Yesterday I looked at the mint condition 000-15 hanging on my wall that I love and that sounds amazing and came to terms with the fact that I never play it and I should sell it......

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-27-2024, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

In nearly 50 years of playing, I have changed my mind on guitars numerous times. Usually a familiar pattern emerges. If I start to think about selling something to get something else, I always end up moving the guitar I am thinking of selling. Once I make up my mind to move on from something, its pretty much over for me keeping that guitar.

Example - I bought a new E10SS from Music Villa. It was a pretty guitar and came set up well. After a few months of trying I realized I was just not going to bond with that guitar. So I sold the Eastman and couple of non guitar related things and came up with the money to buy a Custom Shop J-45 instead. I’m much happier with the Gibson.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
/sigh......this question is *SO* timely. Yes I am fickle to myself and, wrestling with this today

Over 7 years:

I bought a beat up 000-15 and restored it. I loved it so much but it wasnt quite the "right" geometry for me (scale and nut) so I sold it.

I regretted selling it and bought a OMC15. I loved it so much. It remembered it wasnt quite the "right" geometry for me (scale and nut) so I sold it.

I regretted selling it and bought a 000-15. I loved it so much.

(and that even doesn't include my J15 and D15 iterations)

Yesterday I looked at the mint condition 000-15 hanging on my wall that I love and that sounds amazing and came to terms with the fact that I never play it and I should sell it......
Not sure what years your 15s were , but you should at least try a newer GPC-15ME. It’s got 1 3/4” nut and the MLO neck profile is nice. Plays very easy even though it’s not a short scale.
Old 03-27-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Once, I don't churn guitars. I'm holding on to a late '70s ovation legend mostly because my daughter has expressed interest.

My Martin OM-28 is a wonderful guitar, I've had for 4 years now that I'll move on eventually because I don't feel a need for two spruce>rosewood guitars, and my Santa Cruz OM runs circles around her.

Probably won't keep the maple body I've just finished building, she was always intended as a learning-to-build and experimental platform, I have better woods to build my "keeper" maple body from (quilt figured that I personally like better than flame figure, top is TBD). I plan to give away build #1 after a couple of years of playing - in.

I plan to complete another 3-5 builds, that list used to be smaller, however, I now have a source for black locust b&s sets, and have some apple wood boards originally cut for another purpose that I think are going to make a pretty fine and lively guitar. So I guess that counts as a second change of mind :-).
Old 03-27-2024, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I bought an Epiphone Les Paul in 2019 because I was just sure I wanted to play 70s and 80s rock. Last summer I was looking at it covered with dust and decided that I changed my mind, I'm more a country/bluegrass boy. I put it in the case and headed down to the big city. I came home with a Gretsch Streamliner. I traded the Les Paul and fifty bucks for it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-27-2024, 07:43 AM

Well not all guitars retain there charm, tone or how they were built I have had many. To be honest 1 is not enough . I want more. 😀.
Problem is once you buy one. Then try another now you start comparing which is better. Not a good thing. Then it can go sideways quickly.
Gibson SJ200
Old 03-27-2024, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

This is me every day. I'm always browsing ads and deals on different guitars. I have been sticking with a 1 in 1 out rule so things don't get out of hand, and many of the ones I sell were purchased on a whim because I liked them in the store or just wanted to try out that particular model. I'd like to find a few really good keepers but so far I haven't found "the one" or two.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:40 AM

I also subscribe to the one-in, one-out policy, and it has really helped me avoid this type of conundrum. I simply love the guitars I own too much to part with any of them in exchange for something that's a "maybe" at best -- and any incoming guitar is a maybe for me.

To find a guitar out there that's a radical enough improvement over those I already own would take too much valuable playing time to hunt down. And if I found one, then what? How much "better" of a musical experience would it actually give me?

I've found that the secret to happiness in almost anything is to be satisfied with what you've got. Works for guitars, wives, bicycles, homes, whatever.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:49 AM

I used to do the same thing years ago. One in , one out.
It was not a good system , I’ve let go so many amazing instruments I could kick myself !
If you like a guitar and it sounds and plays great , keep it !
Carvin nylon string acoustic
Deering Maple Blossom banjo
Old 03-27-2024, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcolin2u View Post
I used to do the same thing years ago. One in , one out.
It was not a good system , I’ve let go so many amazing instruments I could kick myself !
If you like a guitar and it sounds and plays great , keep it !

or....be like me....sell it, regret it, buy it, sell it, regret it, buy it, sell it, regret it, buy it, sell it, regret it, buy it, sell it.....I mean it this time.........I'm not buying another one

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-27-2024, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

If I had not sold my first serious guitar, - a late sixties Gibson Southern Jumbo - I'd still be playing it. After I bought my first Martin, I thought I needed to sell the Gibby. Big mistake.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:21 AM

I’m a 1 in 1 out rule and I’ve gone through the same thing getting one ready for sale because it’s the same size make just different woods.

But whenever I pick it up I just think it sounds and plays great and is different enough in sound to keep it.

I’ve not had any offers yet plenty of people “watching” but I wouldn’t be overly upset if it didn’t sell!

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 03-27-2024, 11:59 AM

I've done that a few times. Usually it's because after cleaning and a string change, I had more time to think about the guitar and realize that I might end up buying something similar later (so might as well save some money and not sell).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion