The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-27-2024, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Are you sure you don’t have a fret issue? You could have one high fret that is causing this.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

A wolf tone (and added harmonic to a bowed note) and a dead spot are two different issues commonly misunderstood on the AGF.

My suggestion to the OP, try a three day ToneRite treatment. Dial in the vibrations for a lower register.
Old 03-27-2024, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

The "Lute Hole Company" makes sound hole inserts that don't look terrible which might do the trick:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...BoC62sQAvD_BwE

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-27-2024, 08:09 AM

FWIW ...
I have a fan-fretted walnut-sitka Fc ... and have just checked it carefully ... and E, F, F#, G, G#, A ... and up and down and all around ... and I am hearing nothing untoward.
Not noticed anything on my other Lowden's (O & S) either.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Are you sure you don’t have a fret issue? You could have one high fret that is causing this.
G on the 6th string (G2?) always “thuds” - lacks sustain, regardless of tuning. It happens at the third fret in standard, fifth in drop D, seventh in open C. So it must be something with the resonance of the guitar.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
The "Lute Hole Company" makes sound hole inserts that don't look terrible which might do the trick:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...BoC62sQAvD_BwE
Thanks, that might be worth a try.
Do you think one of these might also work? Doesn’t block the sound hole, but maybe it would change the resonance?
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1247--Mi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 03-27-2024, 10:56 AM

You can buy wooden sound hole inserts online. Here's one site that has them, some at fairly reasonable prices.

Jack

http://lutehole.com/
Old 03-27-2024, 11:13 AM

stephenT wrote:
"A wolf tone (and added harmonic to a bowed note) and a dead spot are two different issues commonly misunderstood on the AGF."

Actually, the resonant setup that produces the 'cello wolf is exactly the same as the one that causes the dreaded 'thuddy G' on guitars. The only difference is that on a guitar you're plucking the string, while the 'cello is bowed. It's the continuous input of energy by the bow that causes the string to shift pitch between the fundamental and second partial tone several times a second, and produces the various growls, wails and warbles of the 'cello wolf. If you could bow the guitar perpendicular to the top plane it might well do the same.

warfrat73 wrote:
"The "Lute Hole Company" makes sound hole inserts that don't look terrible which might do the trick:"

Those 'feedback busters' usually work by reducing the power of the 'main air' resonance, but often don't alter the pitch much. They might still do the trick, though.

You can find the pitch of the 'air' resonance by laying the guitar down in your lap and pinching the low E string between your thumb and finger to 'stop' it up near the nut. Pluck the string and you should hear a sort of pitched 'thunk'. As you shift the pinch point up and down it will become louder or softer, and the point where it is loudest is the 'air' resonant pitch.

A 'sleeve' in the hole (or 'tornavoz' in the Classical world) will lower the pitch and might not affect the output as much. Cut a strip of card stock about an inch wide and bend into a circle that will just slip into the hole. Tape in in place with the edge level with the top and see what happens. Cutting it down in height will reduce the effect, both in terms of the lowered pitch, an reduced power. I've made these out of three layers of .5mm veneer glued around a slightly tapered plug. They can look like you meant them, and work well.

The big advantage of shaving back braces is that when it works it tends to increase the power of the lower notes, rather than reducing them.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook1 View Post
You can buy wooden sound hole inserts online. Here's one site that has them, some at fairly reasonable prices.

Jack

http://lutehole.com/
Thanks. They customize their inserts, which is helpful, as my fretboard protrudes a bit over the sound hole.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Thanks, that might be worth a try.
Do you think one of these might also work? Doesn’t block the sound hole, but maybe it would change the resonance?
https://www.sweetwater.com/c1247--Mi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I have no idea... pretty much everything that I know about this I learned from reading Alan's posts over the years. But, based on his previous post it might...

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I have no idea... pretty much everything that I know about this I learned from reading Alan's posts over the years. But, based on his previous post it might...
Hmm. I wonder if it functions like a “sleeve” that he mentioned.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Hmm. I wonder if it functions like a “sleeve” that he mentioned.
That was what I was thinking.

(Call me Dan)
Old 03-27-2024, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I had a similar issue with a Tacoma parlor on the open A string. Very thuddy, didn't ring out well. I double taped a piece of black cardstock inside the soundhole. You can see it in the attached pic. It fixed the problem and is barely noticeable.
Later on, I removed it and the issue had noticeably improved so I don't think these things are necessarily permanent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tacoma2.jpg (30.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Tacoma1.jpg (80.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 03-28-2024, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Well I just got the Daddario O port and installed it:

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...s%2C101&sr=8-1

It’s pretty unobtrusive and now the “thud” is gone. I don’t think it affects the tone too much otherwise, but which is good, but I didn’t really do an A/B test on that. Just happy to have the sustain back on that G.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Default G Dud note

It could also be a very bad fit of such a large diameter string to the nut. Please check it's sound after applying a capo an any fret.

Cheers, Doug

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion