The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 11:00 AM

Default Good budget humidifer?

I'm looking at getting a humidifier. It needs to humidify a large space. I'm trying to get the absolute cheapest I can get. I only need it to humidify. I don't need a remote, or app, or filter. I want to avoid a model that requires you buy things that get spent and worn out, like filters. Also, the more quiet it is, the better.

Any ideas, things to look out for or, things to avoid?

Any help appreciated.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:24 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

You can get really cheap, but it will require more attention. I'm looking at something like what's in the below link. I can just get a 5-gallon carboy and replace it when the water level gets low.

Click Here
Old 02-28-2024, 11:46 AM

I stopped using ultrasonic humidifiers, as they left a white mineral film on everything- especially wood.
I picked up two evaporator type humidifiers from Walmart. The only drawback is they do need filters/wicks.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:50 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrghostwalker View Post
I stopped using ultrasonic humidifiers, as they left a white mineral film on everything- especially wood.
I picked up two evaporator type humidifiers from Walmart. The only drawback is they do need filters/wicks.
That's a good point. To avoid that you can use distilled water, or add a splash of vinegar.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:16 PM

I fear you are going to be searching far and wide for a device that meets your needs.

How large an area? How often are you willing to refill the tank(s)? Do you mind white mineral dust all over everything (and I mean EVERYTHING)? What do you consider inexpensive/budget?

Long-term, the best solution may be one that costs a little more up front, but makes up for it over time. Most of the guitar stores I visit have humidifiers in their acoustic guitar rooms that are fed water from the water supply and have inline filters that don't require frequent changes (but as always, YMMV). Pay in advance, set it and forget it, or pay less now and pay over time. And pay, and pay, and pay.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

I have the big Aircare evaporative type humidifier that humidifies about a 600 foot square room and I have to fill the tank at least once a day sometimes several times when it's real cold outside. I've changed the filter/wick once this winter. It has a fan that runs quite a bit depending how dry the air is. I gave up on the mist type. YMMV
Old 02-28-2024, 01:42 PM

I have this humidifier, it works great and has been dead reliable for 5 yrs. now and counting. That said, I only use it during the winter months, in the summer I have to dehumify!!!

https://aircare.com/humidifiers/credenza-696400hb/

PS. This is probably more than you want to spend but, IMO, cheaping out on a humidifier is like running regular gas in your Ferrari. You can get away with it for a while but the piper MUST be paid eventually
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-28-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
I have the big Aircare evaporative type humidifier that humidifies about a 600 foot square room and I have to fill the tank at least once a day sometimes several times when it's real cold outside. I've changed the filter/wick once this winter. It has a fan that runs quite a bit depending how dry the air is. I gave up on the mist type. YMMV
Aircare for the win. The MA0800 model works amazingly well for me, and I find it to be a bargain at it's $120 price point (Lowes). I only have to humidify 200 square feet though, so I can leave this model running on low most of the time.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
I fear you are going to be searching far and wide for a device that meets your needs.

How large an area?
quite large, maybe 500sqft
Quote:
How often are you willing to refill the tank(s)?
Daily, if necessary.
Quote:
Do you mind white mineral dust all over everything (and I mean EVERYTHING)?
My current humidifer has some like that inside it, but it doesn't appear on everything else. That sounds less than desirable, so i'd rather avoid it.
Quote:
What do you consider inexpensive/budget?
The absolute cheapest that can accomplish the task.

Quote:
Long-term, the best solution may be one that costs a little more up front, but makes up for it over time. Most of the guitar stores I visit have humidifiers in their acoustic guitar rooms that are fed water from the water supply and have inline filters that don't require frequent changes (but as always, YMMV). Pay in advance, set it and forget it, or pay less now and pay over time. And pay, and pay, and pay.
I don't want one that gets direct water supply. i don't mind cleaning filters, but i'd rather not have filters that require being thrown out and replaced.
Old 03-01-2024, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

I like reading these posts and trying to imagine living somewhere where I would need humidification. We have between 70% and 91% forecast for the whole of this and next week - and its winter! Cold, miserable and damp basically. Oh, and that's summer too!!!!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Aircare for the win. The MA0800 model works amazingly well for me, and I find it to be a bargain at it's $120 price point (Lowes). I only have to humidify 200 square feet though, so I can leave this model running on low most of the time.
I have the same. Pretty reliable, and easy to fill. Wicks are a bit pricey though. I usually go through two per season.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdubs76 View Post
I have the same. Pretty reliable, and easy to fill. Wicks are a bit pricey though. I usually go through two per season.

Have you tried soaking them in vinegar? I soak wicks in water with a couple of cups of vinegar and get a few more uses out of them. Cheaper than buying new.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:31 AM

I have two of the Aircare evaporative humidfiers for my house. Seems they were around $120 each. Yes, they do have a wick in them (it's not really a filter) but that's what keeps it from putting all of the white mineral dust all through your house. The air blows through the wick taking the moisture with it but leaving the minerals behind. The more mineral-rich your water is the more often you'll need to replace the wick. I can get by with one wick each through the winter, or possibly two if used heavily, which would mean through a very long, cold winter in my case. Distilled water would eliminate the dust issue and make the wicks last pretty much indefinitely, but the cost would be prohibitive - many times more than just replacing the wicks. I replace the wicks when they have caked up with mineral deposits.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 03-01-2024, 07:41 AM

I've just bought 'em off the shelf at the nearest drug store. Humidifiers don't need precision engineering. The cheap ones work fine.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

You know you need to change the wick when the humidifier struggles to keep the RH up. I have soaked them in vinegar to get a little more use out of them but considering the investment(s) I'm protecting the cost of a new wick is not a big deal IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion