The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-16-2022, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E20D-TC

Hello all, I have been looking for a less expensive dread to have as sort of a "travel guitar" to take on the road and to outdoor song circles now that the weather is warming up. One option that I'm looking into is one of Eastman's thermally cured dreads, and most likely the rosewood version E20D-TC. I've PM'd a couple of forum members to get thoughts, but thought I'd check more broadly with this post. Would love to hear from anyone who has familiarity with this model. Thanks, Mike
Old 03-16-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

I took that very guitar in trade a couple years ago. It arrived perfectly set up and sounded like a million bucks. Looked great too, I liked everything about it.

But I didn't keep it, as I was long in the dreadnought department. It was hard to let it go, though.

Those TC models are really something special.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:45 PM

I have one and love it. I traded it in with another guitar on a Collings D1 but I missed it so much that I bought it back. Stellar guitars wiypthngreat sound. Hard to beat at the price point.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:00 PM

They are very nice dreads. Perfect for use where you might be concerned about a more expensive dreadnought. For the money, I don’t think there’s much better to be had.

That said, I take my Martin with me everywhere.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:10 PM

I played that one's little sister, an E20 OM TC, when I was shopping for my Eastman AC422CE.

While both have solid rosewood bodies, I decided I preferred the auditorium body AC422CE. I attribute this to the tops, the natural Sitka spruce on the AC422CE giving a more balanced tone compared to the chime-like quality of the torrified Alpine spruce on the E20 OM TC.

An E20 D TC may have more thump, and therefore a more balanced tone. I don't know. I honestly don't have the best ear for these things. Now that I'm doing more flatpicking that chime-like quality might be golden to my ear for some bluegrass runs.

I will say one thing, though - Me personally, if I bought an E20 OM TC, or D TC, then it would be my daily driver, loved, cherished, and proudly shown off as a prized possession. Not a beater or travel guitar by a long shot.

I don't know, though, maybe your daily driver is a hand made, custom bespoke luthier special. I met people like that when I traveled in high end watch circles. I had a guy tell me he only wore his Rolex when he was working in his backyard, because that way his GOOD watches wouldn't get scratched.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 03-16-2022, 09:10 PM

I'm a big fan of Eastman dreads. I own one and almost bought another this weekend. They just "ring" for days--I love that sound.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

From what I've seen, the build quality of Eastman guitars is right up there with the top half dozen factory builders.... My second hand D20 has been the best "beater" I could imagine having, for almost 10 years! I also own a AJ 617 carved back jumbo, for my Sunday go to meeting gigs... Between the two, they've made a closet queen out of my Martin D-28SV, which I think is saying something!

Don
Old 03-17-2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
Hello all, I have been looking for a less expensive dread to have as sort of a "travel guitar" to take on the road and to outdoor song circles now that the weather is warming up. One option that I'm looking into is one of Eastman's thermally cured dreads, and most likely the rosewood version E20D-TC. I've PM'd a couple of forum members to get thoughts, but thought I'd check more broadly with this post. Would love to hear from anyone who has familiarity with this model. Thanks, Mike
I bought a Eastman E20D in 2016. Didn't care for it at first( I have a 2004 HD28). Six years later I play the E20D more than any dread I own glad I hung on to it. It has become my main guitar for bluegrass gigs and about anything else. Side by side comparison and proof with recordings I've used it for it is better sounding than my 04 HD28. At first I thought of it as a mistake mostly because of where it's made and what it cost. But my ears then my playing partners and then recordings totally changed my mind. It's so smooth and easy to play and sounds so good I'll never let go of it.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all for the comments - no doubt these are a super value. I'm weighing whether to move on one of these vs. getting a Martin and the comments here reaffirm that the Eastman is a serious contender particularly given the price point. Much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:44 AM

Awesome guitars. Don’t leave out the E10 E8 and E6.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks all for the comments - no doubt these are a super value. I'm weighing whether to move on one of these vs. getting a Martin and the comments here reaffirm that the Eastman is a serious contender particularly given the price point. Much appreciated.
Great guitars, for sure. I would point out that a Martin and Eastman won't have the exact same sound. Eastman will have more clarity and balance, not to mention the difference between Adi and Sitka tops, while the Martin will have a little more boom on the bottom end.

Neither is better than the other, but they will sound different.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I used an 2014 Martin D-18 Standard as my main guitar for 6 years. It was a nice guitar and had more of the classic Martin sound. I liked a lot of things about that guitar.

The 18 style dread that I am playing right now (have had it about a month) is an E10D-TC. The players that I have been following most lately have been Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Andrew Marlin (Mandolin Orange) and Eli West. To me, this Eastman gets me more into the ballbark of the boutique guitars these artists play, and I have really enjoyed the volume, responsiveness, and feel of this guitar.

Like said above, one is not better than the other. Just different.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKing34 View Post
I used an 2014 Martin D-18 Standard as my main guitar for 6 years. It was a nice guitar and had more of the classic Martin sound. I liked a lot of things about that guitar.

The 18 style dread that I am playing right now (have had it about a month) is an E10D-TC. The players that I have been following most lately have been Molly Tuttle, Billy Strings, Andrew Marlin (Mandolin Orange) and Eli West. To me, this Eastman gets me more into the ballbark of the boutique guitars these artists play, and I have really enjoyed the volume, responsiveness, and feel of this guitar.

Like said above, one is not better than the other. Just different.

The Adirondack top on the Eastman E10 and E20s can really make a difference in some styles of music.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:20 AM

I have the E20D non torrified, and it's stellar. If you want to save a few bucks you could just go with one of those and I'm sure you'd be happy. It was the first Eastman I bought and I've had Eastman GAS ever since.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 03-18-2022, 10:51 AM

VERY important and no one has mentioned: what kind of neck profile do you like?

They are truly a full C shape, bordering on chunky.

You may or may not like that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion