The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which shape do you prefer?
Florentine 44 31.65%
Venetian 53 38.13%
No cutaway 42 30.22%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I don't really understand how somebody could be on the fence over cutaway vs no-cutaway. Doesn't your style of play make that decision for you?

And this poll needs one more option. Stick 'em up!
That guitar reminds me of my floppy-eared dog when he hears an unusual sound.

I agree that how one plays should determine whether one should buy a guitar with or without a cutaway.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Interesting how even this is staying. And, although I don't need others to influence my feelings on the matter, it is also interesting to realize that I am not the only one who intensely dislikes cutaways on an acoustic guitar.

IMO, they really screw with the aesthetics. That Gibson pictured above in # 66 just looks WRONG! Also IMO, most people using cutaways on acoustics are playing them plugged in and could just as easily be playing a semi-hollow body electric...

They seem to be primarily used by electric guitar players who want to give the appearance of playing acoustically.
I get what you're trying to say but I have to differ a bit on this. I often play in band and duo, trio situations and need lots of loud acoustic power. I prefer a cutaway as well because I solo alot up the neck- right to the last fret. I have a Guild D-40C and a Taylor 314ce that I like for the job. I also switch to electric often and I have a Strat, Les Paul and a nice rare semi-hollowbody jazz guitar. These do not sound at all like my acoustics. Yes they often get near it when you eq it a bit- but once you start strumming, or really digging in for a solo, it's apparent that your not in the acoustic realm anymore. Even with a Taylor T-5, or the like, it doesn't have the beefiness for all applications.

Nothing sounds like a good acoustic in front of a good mic- but I feel that my set-up works well in a loud environment.

Mike

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 01-13-2010, 05:16 PM

Mike,

I agree that there are more than a few in your category, and hats off to you for knowing what I'm talking about.

But most (not all) guys getting cutaway acoustics are hack electric guitar players who want to pose at being an acoustic guitar player.

Go check out several open mics & you'll see what I mean.

Thanks & pick on!

Dave
Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman187 View Post
I just noticed something, the Florentine makes the guitar look like somebody took a bite out of it O.o
I've heard florentine cutaway guitars referred to as "shark-bite" guitars.

Since I love a good florentine cutaway so much, I choose to be *amused* by that!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Ok I was just watching a performance called Quest on the Worship Channel and found the compromise. The guitarist is playing a double neck acoustic....the top neck has a florentine cutout and the bottom venetian. Has anyone else seen this?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cubilindo View Post
Ok I was just watching a performance called Quest on the Worship Channel and found the compromise. The guitarist is playing a double neck acoustic....the top neck has a florentine cutout and the bottom venetian. Has anyone else seen this?
It's upside down. Everyone knows Venice is north of Florence.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion