The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2022, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Bourgeois neck profile shape question (L DBO)

i have an offer on a nice looking L DBO standard model. the shape, size, scale length all fit into my specs of what i've come to know that fits me best.
thru the years i have often wanted to try out a Bourgeois but for whatever reason it never happened.

the owner gave me the serial # and i did call Bourgeois this morning and talked with a man who gave me depth fretboard width and neck depth at the 1st/10th frets so that tells me a lot. looking for owners/those who have played this neck and remember it, to give some real world feedback on how the Bourg neck fits/feels to you. and let me know what other brands you are used too, and like or don't due to neck shape, that helps a lot.

the neck is a soft/ modified V with a compound radius 10-18 inch per owner(this is interesting, thats electric territory)

i'm used to Martin, Collings, Taylor, Goodall, Yamaha, Larrivee, Huss/Dalton, Gibson. Like to have an idea of what it may be near in feel from folks who have played them.

over the years i have found that the neck profile for me is one of the more important specs i have to watch, next is string spacing.

one neck i simply cannot use is the Martin Mod V. Its too deep, too large. favorite shape is a round C but a soft mild mod V is okay.

thank you for your time and help with this
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 09-09-2022 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Can only speak to the JOMT and D Vintage I used to own, but I believe Bourgeois necks are similar across models. They resemble the Martin MLO/PA, just modestly thicker, with a very soft v to medium/shallow C shape

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-09-2022, 12:55 PM

My impression is the same as Brencat’s. It’s based on having had a Bourgeois Martin Simpson for a number of years, and the regular opportunities to play a friend’s OM. Memory isn’t perfect Daryl, but I played an example of one the LDBOs last year during a visit to AcousticMusic.org in Guilford, Ct. to me, it was really special and had a very similar neck profile and shape to other Bourgeois guitars. Would have been sorely tempted, but it was new and new guitars are typically beyond my budget.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion