The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJ View Post
A question for G Snot users: I switch from strumming for a while to finger picking. Is there a residue that would transfer to the strings?

A review on Amazon say the stuff is hard to wash off, another said it seems to go away by itself. Is there a "solvent" for it that would take it off fingers or strings?

Any of you have comments?
What ever you do DON'T start to finger pick once you have put it on your fingers, unless you want grud up your strings
Old 09-08-2022, 06:25 PM

OP Gas: it's counter intuitive but loosen your grip on that pick and toss that gorilla snot as far as you can throw it.

A couple of years ago I really focused on my pick grip and technique. After playing for years a total re evaluation of my technique it was painful to think like a beginner but oh so worth it in the end in terms of speed, accuracy, and control. You don't need to rely on gimmicky products. Technique will set you free. My arthritic hands appreciate it every day.

Gorilla snot is pine tar or similar. At least it smells nice.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:43 PM

My wife swears by it...

I swear at it...
Old 09-08-2022, 07:30 PM

Monster Grip discs stick on your picks. Seem to work the best for me. I usually order them from Amazon.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
What ever you do DON'T start to finger pick once you have put it on your fingers, unless you want grud up your strings
Never mind your strings. It will grud (sic) up your fingerpicking!
Old 09-09-2022, 10:29 AM

I've tried everything but I keep coming back to 1/4" wide double face tape that you get at the craft store in a small plastic disperser. I put a little on each side of the pic and it is good to go. If it looses it's tacky feeling I just reapply. If it builds up I clean the pic off with lighter fluid or just toss it for a new pic.
This leaves no sticky residue on your fingers and gives just the right amount of grip so the pic does not slip out of your fingers.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I have Gorilla Snot and used it once and don't really like it as I often go from flatpicking to fingerpicking and the Snot can be kind of messy. I've been using Guitar Moose Sticky Grip picks for years and you can even buy the pads separately to place on your favorite picks. Guitar Moose
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-09-2022, 04:48 PM

I think the most important thing here is to find out what works for the individual, there is no right or wrong. If I was going to perform live and know I was not going to finger pick a song my first choice would be Gorilla snot, it works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion