The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2022, 04:29 PM

Default Gorilla Snot

I've started using this as my pick retention has deteriorated with age. It sure is sticky. All hints welcome.

Thanks
Gas
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 09-07-2022, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I’ve used it off and on for years. “A little dab will do ya”, anybody remember that tag line? Seriously, a tiny dab on your finger and then smear it between your finger and thumb. Sometimes after application I rub my pick between my fingers and transfer most of the sticky onto the pick. That works for me and leaves my fingers less sticky.
Old 09-07-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
I’ve used it off and on for years. “A little dab will do ya”, anybody remember that tag line? Seriously, a tiny dab on your finger and then smear it between your finger and thumb. Sometimes after application I rub my pick between my fingers and transfer most of the sticky onto the pick. That works for me and leaves my fingers less sticky.
Thanks ..great advice
Various other acoustics
Old 09-07-2022, 04:42 PM

I use rubber electrical splicing tape from my local big box hardware store. I fold it over the top 1/3 to 1/2 of my picks, trim the excess with scissors and strum/pick away. It's tacky enough that the pick won't rotate or slide around while you play. You have to replace it about once a week. It's cheap, works on your favorite pick, doesn't leave residue on you, your guitar or the pick.

Scott
Old 09-07-2022, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I keep Gorilla Snot around to help me hold onto flat picks. I do use only a little bit.

It keeps hardening up since I don't use it a lot, but then I heat it up and it kind of reconstitutes itself.

- Glenn
Old 09-07-2022, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Glenn,

I usually only need to use the GSnot when my hands are really dry so I go for quite a while between uses. I’ve noticed the dry, hard surface you’re describing too. I usually take a teaspoon and scrape a small section of it off and the GSnot below is fine.

I had one jar so long the whole thing solidified. I showed my wife and she told me I now knew what petrified Gorilla Snot looked like.

Thinking of my wife’s reaction reminded me of the time she came down to my guitar work bench for something and spotted some of my guitar products. After checking out my Gorilla Snot, Lizard Spit and Nut Sauce she declared that we guitar players are a weird bunch. Funny it took her 51 years to notice that??
Old 09-07-2022, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Glenn,

I usually only need to use the GSnot when my hands are really dry so I go for quite a while between uses. I’ve noticed the dry, hard surface you’re describing too. I usually take a teaspoon and scrape a small section of it off and the GSnot below is fine.

I had one jar so long the whole thing solidified. I showed my wife and she told me I now knew what petrified Gorilla Snot looked like.

Thinking of my wife’s reaction reminded me of the time she came down to my guitar work bench for something and spotted some of my guitar products. After checking out my Gorilla Snot, Lizard Spit and Nut Sauce she declared that we guitar players are a weird bunch. Funny it took her 51 years to notice that??
We are a weird bunch!

I have heated the Gorilla Snot up in hot water for 5 minutes or so and that seems to work. Lately, I have just microwaved it for 20 seconds and that seemed to work, too.

- Glenn
Old 09-07-2022, 10:51 PM

I tried GS. It works but didn't care to have that on my fingers, or picks, or whatever else it might sacrifice on to, like strings.

I started using these, and for me, they work pretty well:
https://www.fender.com/en-US/accesso...985351405.html

Last edited by Corndog; 09-07-2022 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 01:44 AM

I use a small amount of Blu Tack (I assume this is available in the U.S.) pressed onto my plectrum and then stuck to the pad of my thumb. A cheap and cheerful solution that I use on all my guitars and ukuleles.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Dunlop mic stand pick holder.

Load it up.

By end of the gig, it will be empty.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Dunlop mic stand pick holder.

Load it up.

By end of the gig, it will be empty.
LMFAO.......
Various other acoustics
Old 09-08-2022, 08:01 AM

Another option is "Picker's Grip" https://pickersgrip.com/

Not as "gummy" as GS and it hardly feels like anything is there at all except the pick stays in place better. Just my $0.02 as I didn't like the feel of GS when I tried it out. YMMV.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:16 PM

A question for G Snot users: I switch from strumming for a while to finger picking. Is there a residue that would transfer to the strings?

A review on Amazon say the stuff is hard to wash off, another said it seems to go away by itself. Is there a "solvent" for it that would take it off fingers or strings?

Any of you have comments?

Just playing for my own amazement

Martin 000-15sm
Eastman E10SS
RainSong SMH
Blueridge BR-142
The Loar LH-250
Recording King RPS-9 (for slide)
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin
A Strat and a Tele
Les Paul and Jazzmaster copies
Old 09-08-2022, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I'm not thinking it would work too well for you SCVJ. It may get on your strings and it may make the transition a bit, er, sticky.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:06 PM

I've used it and it works like a champ, just don't start finger picking your guitar after you've applied it.

"NOTE" it does get hard in the little jar but don't fret ( yes pun intended ) just heat up a cup of water in your microwave THEN place the little jar in the water with the top on still for ten minutes and it will be back as good as new.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion