The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2022, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin CEO-7 vs Huss and Dalton 00

I'm considering these two guitars was wondering if anyone can offer some comparison points. I'll primarily be fingerpicking, with some strumming/flatpicking from time to time.

I've played a few CEO-7's, and like the basic configuration. Short scale, mod-v neck, wider string spacing, all good. An older one I played didn't really grab me, another brand new one sounded great. Maybe it was the strings. Seems like used I'm looking at around $2500.

Its been a few years since I have played a H&D 00. I've got a line on a used one with mahogany back and sides from a store for $3K. Englemann top, and comes with a 48hr trial period. Part of me thinks if I am going to pay $2500 for a used CEO I might as well throw down another $500 and get something from a small shop. Plus I don't have a 12 fret guitar, and I love how that one looks. But I can't play one locally first, and I at least like to play a version or two of a particular guitar before ordering online.

Maybe what I need to do is go on a vacation to the Bay Area and hit up the good acoustic guitar shops so I can play everything in person.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post

Maybe what I need to do is go on a vacation to the Bay Area and hit up the good acoustic guitar shops so I can play everything in person.
I think you answered your own question.

Personally I'm done with 12 fret guitars. Owned a Bourgeois and a Halcyon and I just don't get along with them, but that's me.

I've a 50's Gibson LG-2 inbound that I'm hoping fills the small(ish) body niche. Played one against a CEO-7 recently and like both a lot.
Old 09-07-2022, 09:05 AM

I can't help you much Anton but my friend Robbie Jessep has recently bought a H & D 00-14 which he is enamoured with. Granted his is rosewood but the sound in the videos he's producing may give and indication to you of the quality of these instruments.

https://youtu.be/jbZ2zRFVHSE

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 09-07-2022, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
I've a 50's Gibson LG-2 inbound that I'm hoping fills the small(ish) body niche. Played one against a CEO-7 recently and like both a lot.
I have both a 50's LG-2 and a CEO-7 and love them both. Surprisingly they are very different guitars both in feel and sound. The LG-2 is classic Gibson while the CEO-7 is more like a Martin that spent some time in jail.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-07-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
I can't help you much Anton but my friend Robbie Jessep has recently bought a H & D 00-14 which he is enamoured with. Granted his is rosewood but the sound in the videos he's producing may give and indication to you of the quality of these instruments.

https://youtu.be/jbZ2zRFVHSE
Thanks Phil, yes I absolutely adore my 14 fret Huss & Dalton 00, and I've made quite a few videos this summer if you'd like to hear how it sounds fingerstyle. I know a 12 fretter will sound a bit different. What I will say is that the neck is lovely to play and the whole guitar is brilliantly made. You will get a work of art with a Huss & Dalton that's for sure,
Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 09-07-2022, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your input folks. Robbie, that is some wonderful playing on your H&D. Nice rendition of the Steve Baughman arrangment, one of my favorite players and people on the planet.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:56 PM

Thumbs up

Lucky to have owned both. The CEO-7 was the original run, and the H&D was the CrossRoads. Builds are both superb....Ceo-7 is a tad larger and the tone is a bit more "dynamic". The neck on the H&D is more to my liking, being closer to a 'C" shape than the Martin mod-V. My choice if I was to chose one for over-all tone is the CEO-7. For playability, the H&D.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:14 AM

Well, if you actually hesitate…

I once tried a CEO-7 : nice little beast !

But I own a Huss & Dalton Crossroads…

I could prefer the CEO-7 sound and price,
BUT the bolted neck of the Huss & Dalton
clearly appears as a deal breaker to me.
Old 09-08-2022, 04:48 AM

I really like this thread. It now has me gassing for a Huss Dalton to add to my collection. Nice guitars.
Various other acoustics
Various electric guitars and amps
Old 09-08-2022, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

I can't imagine anything better than my CEO 7 and I'm among a seeming minority that likes the neck. YMMV
Old 09-08-2022, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I have both a 50's LG-2 and a CEO-7 and love them both. Surprisingly they are very different guitars both in feel and sound. The LG-2 is classic Gibson while the CEO-7 is more like a Martin that spent some time in jail.
"A Martin that spent some time in jail"...what a great description! I used to own a CEO-7 and I think you nailed it!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-08-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
As someone who flew from Los Angeles to Chicago in late 2021 to do just this (and came home with an epic guitar that I grow more impressed with every time I strum it) I can highly recommend this course of action.

In addition to the guitar I brought home, I played probably a dozen other amazing guitars and met some great people on the journey.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-08-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I can't imagine anything better than my CEO 7 and I'm among a seeming minority that likes the neck. YMMV
You're kidding! The CE0-7 neck is one of it's great attractions, especially for those who don't like the MLO/PA neck that comes with most Martins nowadays. It's not too large, nor too V shaped and has a subtle taper unlike say the radical move from thin to thick one finds on some Martin Authentics.
To me, the downsides of the CEO-7 are the tuners, the sapele back and sides and the horrible burst. But in terms of tone and playability it's a killer guitar for the price.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

I had an opportunity to play a couple of CEO7’s and bottom line, I left with a meh…. impression. I own a Taylor 322e 12 fret and much prefer it over the CEO 7.
My Huss and Dalton 000 12 fret, on the other hand, has them both beat in every way.
I recently picked up a Martin 00-18 on a whim. Fantastic guitar but I still reach for the H&D first.
Don't get me wrong, the CEO was a nice guitar, just not for me.

My next guitar will most likely be a Huss and Dalton 00 SP….if I ever sell the Taylor.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 09-09-2022, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopinhauer View Post
You're kidding! The CE0-7 neck is one of it's great attractions, especially for those who don't like the MLO/PA neck that comes with most Martins nowadays. It's not too large, nor too V shaped and has a subtle taper unlike say the radical move from thin to thick one finds on some Martin Authentics.
To me, the downsides of the CEO-7 are the tuners, the sapele back and sides and the horrible burst. But in terms of tone and playability it's a killer guitar for the price.
I was referencing the many posts here from people that don't like or adapt well to the neck. I'm happy we're in agreement that it works well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion