The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2022, 02:06 PM

Default Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner vs Vintage Jumbo

My apologies if this topic has been exhausted! The only thread I could find here was 10 years old and I’m hoping for some fresh thoughts on the Santa Cruz VS and VJ.

Anyone have experience with both? Would love your thoughts!!! Thanks!
Old 09-05-2022, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

i haven't either but do have an "RS" as far as I can see the main difference is the scale length.

Both have narrow fretboards though!
Old 09-05-2022, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

…I owned a VS at the same time my bandmate owned a VJ last year…..the VS had the softer feel and response that you would expect with the shorter scale…..other than that they had a very similar tone with the VJ having a bit more headroom when you lay into it…..both very responsive to a lighter touch….fwiw….there are some out there with 1-3/4 inch nuts…that’s what my VS had….

….neither of us still own the two Cruzes because we’re both wanting something closer to a vintage Gibson tone…fine guitars they were though and great all a rounders
Old 09-05-2022, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…I owned a VS at the same time my bandmate owned a VJ last year…..the VS had the softer feel and response that you would expect with the shorter scale…..other than that they had a very similar tone with the VJ having a bit more headroom when you lay into it…..both very responsive to a lighter touch….fwiw….there are some out there with 1-3/4 inch nuts…that’s what my VS had….

….neither of us still own the two Cruzes because we’re both wanting something closer to a vintage Gibson tone…fine guitars they were though and great all a rounders

How would you compare the Santa Cruz tone with the more vintage Gibson tone? Thanks!
Old 09-05-2022, 03:29 PM

The VS is my go-to. As said, the short scale is a pleasure to play, particularly fingerpicking. The bass is a warm thump -- which is one of the things that sold me on it.
The RS has more bass in comparison. Haven't played the VJ.
The really good J-45's I've played have a bigger presence. The VS is a softer, more quiet guitar.
Old 09-05-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
The VS is my go-to. As said, the short scale is a pleasure to play, particularly fingerpicking. The bass is a warm thump -- which is one of the things that sold me on it.
The RS has more bass in comparison. Haven't played the VJ.
The really good J-45's I've played have a bigger presence. The VS is a softer, more quiet guitar.

Thank you for that! Very helpful. Do you have a Sitka or Adi top? How does it hold up as a strummer? And I’ll should add I’ll almost always be singing while playing.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Thank you for that! Very helpful. Do you have a Sitka or Adi top? How does it hold up as a strummer? And I’ll should add I’ll almost always be singing while playing.
I'm the wrong one to ask about strumming, since I strum and cross pick with my index fingernail and don't use a flatpick, but I do strum heavily sometimes (think "The Weight" or "All Along the Watchtower") and it holds together well for a shortscale -- it is a dread after all. But it feels like an OM when you play it.

Sitka top.

Singing -- I don't sing much -- best to ask a singer who listens to the vocal/guitar interaction. But i think it works just fine. It won't overpower your voice. The Sitka/Mahogany works well for that.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How would you compare the Santa Cruz tone with the more vintage Gibson tone? Thanks!
….The Santa Cruz models sound crisper…more zing…..to my ears there’s a bit of D-18 mixed in compared to the dry thumpy fundamental ring of a good old Gibson….
Old 09-08-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post

One last question….the one I’m looking at has a 1 3/4 nut width.
How would you describe the neck profile on the VS?
Old 09-08-2022, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I never played a Santa Cruz neck I didn’t love and I’ve owned a bunch of them with different profiles…..the VS I had sported a very comfy full C shaped neck….not unlike a 50’s Gibson neck…..not a soft V like many Cruzes…
Old 09-08-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The neck profile on the VS is a rounded C shape of medium depth. I’m so glad you are considering a 1 3/4 nut custom version because I find the E-to-e string spacing on the standard 1 11/16 nut models to be unacceptably cramped.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion