The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
...I am often asked to make songs and music that aren't working, work. You've got to be able to provide the sounds...
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, framed the ticket stubs...

As nice as a "Swiss Army" instrument is - and I love mine (a 3-PU Gretsch G5622T-CB) - I'm sure most of us have been in a situation[s] where "that song" just needs "that sound," and nothing else will do...

I've found this to be the case in a variety of settings, from ad hoc pickup bands (unfortunately more in hoc that ad hoc, but that's another story...) to formal studio sessions to "we need someone to fill in on [name of instrument here] tonight - can you make it" live gigs...

I've had well over one hundred instruments pass through my stash over the last 60 years (not all at the same time ) - and while I had/have some droolworthy flagship pieces most of them are inexpensive-to-midrange bread-&-butter items: good-sounding, well set-up, and acquired at prices (whether new or used) that barely made a dent in the budget...

With the quantum leaps in quality over the last 50 years, in conjunction with the (generally) lower prices made possible by innovations in production methods and internationalization of trade, it's easier than ever for even the average hobbyist to acquire a studio players' tone arsenal without breaking the bank - and if you're a serious player and/or student of the game, IMO there's little reason why you shouldn't...

My current numbers - more than some/fewer than others (I'd rather not be more specific) and, except for a hard core of "anchor" items, generally fluid as my needs/tastes change...

I'm with Bob...
Old 09-05-2022, 08:52 AM

Default The largest collection

Jim Smith Sr. as I remember had the largest collection of guitar probably in the world of acoustic and electric outside of a maker.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/159123...57697817279334
These are just some of what was his collection, though I do not know if he still has them all as I remember some of his being up for sale on E-bay and such.
As for me even though at one time I had amassed a fair number of guitars they were more for work then they were for collecting.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Personally, I believe everyone is a collector of some sort or other.
Have you never met someone who experiences stuff as a burden? I do.

George Carlin made some good jokes about it.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:09 PM

On my journey in fingerstyle dom, I was always looking for an even better acoustic… I had to fetch online…

My journey also got me to try different styles and tunings, so I needed many acoustics.

Finally, I need many guitars because I cannot get no satisfaction with only one sound : I would find it boring.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:29 PM

I have nine acoustics I play regularly and a National resonator I play every so often. And I do play them all:usually at least two or three a day. I have them in two guitar cabinets, and it's easy to pull them in and out. I think I might be a little bored without them, because it's enormous fun to play different guitars; and each has something like it's own vivid personality that keeps me engaged--and keeps me playing. They are a variety of sizes and woods: OMs, SJs, slope dreads and dreads of koa, cocobolo, EIR, mahogany and maple backs and sides, and Sitka, Adirondack, German and Italian top woods.

I went through a brief stage of feeling--from guilt?--I should reduce the number. I quickly got over it, but don't feel I'll need more--though I'm willing to subtract a guitar to add a guitar that suits me better.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I have 5 acoustics and 2 electrics and I play them all (well only one at a time ).

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-05-2022, 12:57 PM

I had three acoustics and one electric, now two.
They all get played and gigged with and my newest addition, a CV 50’s Strat, will as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-05-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
But really ...... wow. Fifteen guitars, twenty guitars ..... What do you do with all those instruments?
I love it when members post their insane number of guitars. It somehow makes me feel better about my (fewer) number of guitars.

Quote:
So, how many do you have?
I currently have 11.

Quote:
How do you take care of all those guitars? And how many do you play every day?
I don't take care of them too much; my room averages RH 50-55% (I think the secret was a fish tank, later I replaced it with lots of plants).

I play 2 of them almost every day (the same 2 guitars): a classical and an acoustic. I also have their travel counter parts that I sometimes play when outside the home. So that makes 4 guitars.

When the mode strikes, I'll play an electric guitar. I also have a travel counterpart to that too. So, that makes 6 guitars.

I have 1 new guitar that I'm not playing much ATM because I don't play it very well (it's too big so I'm not yet used to it); but I want to love this guitar and make it my life guitar. So that makes 7.

The other 4 guitars, I hardly ever play. I have tried to sell them, but I guess my price was too high. I should lower the price and get them out of the house.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I have kept the acoustic to electric ratio the same the last 20 years, 7 or 8 of each.

In reality one could do all kinds of things to any guitar and adjust the back hand play. Raising the saddles, slide, open tunings, super light strings, super heavy strings, amplify it, capo, maybe putting a blanket over it?, etc....

I am turning 67 this week. I am going to reduce 5 of the 15 guitars. The ones I am keeping are about as good as their price points allow. No biggie. It was fun buying 150 over the last 25 years of my 50 year playing duration. I learned a lot. I had a ball with many of these guitars.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
I’ve never understood the collector mentality. Having said that my family thinks I’m a crazy guitar collector because I have 6 guitars…..
I think, to non-players, any number > 1 means a collector.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

I used to not understand collecting. Why would I want eight or ten D 28s? Over time I played so many different guitars I can now understand having a Brazillian, a seventies, an HD, a signature of some sort, a burst or two, a Marquis, and an Authentic. Throw in a Modern Deluxe and you have nine already, oh, and a reimagined make it ten.

Then there are those that want a 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, and a 40. So, if you are crazy into something, why not?
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-05-2022, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
I’ve never understood the collector mentality. Having said that my family thinks I’m a crazy guitar collector because I have 6 guitars…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I think, to non-players, any number > 1 means a collector.
Where is the line between having a lot of guitars and being a collector? Every collector was sitting on six at one time or another.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-05-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I used to not understand collecting. Why would I want eight or ten D 28s? Over time I played so many different guitars I can now understand having a Brazillian, a seventies, an HD, a signature of some sort, a burst or two, a Marquis, and an Authentic. Throw in a Modern Deluxe and you have nine already, oh, and a reimagined make it ten.
I have 8 acoustics, but only a couple overlap in overall sound and purpose.

1 & 2: Dreadnaughts, a Yamaha FG335, my first "real" guitar and was gigged for many years, and an HD28.

3: Ibanez Mahogany 000, if I need a "bluesy" box.

4: Composite Acoustics GX, my indestructable gigging guitar with Fishman Aura pickup.

5: Enya Nova Go, recently acquired half-size travel guitar.

6: Beau Hannam custom-built Tassy Blackwood 00, for more delicate fingerstyle among other things.

7: Classica nylon string.

8: 1937 Gibson L7 archtop.

All have very different sounds and functions. I don't personally want 8 variations of the same thing.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:19 AM
Charter Member

Two or three is my in my groove. I have had four, and that was too many. Lately I just play my Martin, but I like having that classic slope shoulder sound available as well.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Where is the line between having a lot of guitars and being a collector?
I think it depends on your purposes.

It's equivalent to the difference between having a lot of stamps because you have a lot of stuff to send in the mail vs. having a stamp collection. Or having a lot of wine because you drink/serve a lot and having a wine collection. For the collector, the main purpose is the pleasure/satisfaction of having and developing the collection. Of course, this doesn't mean you can't also drink the wine, wear the wrist watches, or play the guitars. But you don't need a collection to do those things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion