The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

mmm, I didn't understand this "vexation of spirit" thing so googled it - something biblical it seems - still don't get it.

I DO subscribe to the "collector gene" and believe that it is something to do with the way a (largely)male brain works.

I am convinced that we still have the brains of our hunter-gatherer forefathers.
We hunt, and we gather.
In order to hunt, and lacking great claws or jaws or great speed, we need to find tools/weapons if you will.
Originally, those "things" were sticks and stones, so we search for a stick. Then we find another stick, and maybe a really sharp stone - and so it goes.

If those sticks enables us to bring down a deer or a mammoth, then it is a "lucky stick" Maybe it takes on a "magic" or "spiritual" value.

For some people those lucky sticks are cars, or bikes, or golf clubs, or .... whatever.

For me it is a beautiful box with strings that make wonderful noises, that people like to hear me playing. That makes me feel good.

Some of my magic sticks are special in that I never take hunting (i.e., take them out to play), but that's alright because I can enjoy them in my cave - especially on cold rainy days.

I don't "need" them all, but my "collection" if you will have been carefully assembled since 1998, when I finally learnt what it is in shape, and sound and most importantly, in feel - so I focussed in on those qualities.

I have three dreads (I don't need tree dreads - two was adequate, but one came out of the blue when an acquaintance, visited me with it, and a deal needed doing.

I have two 12 strings, one an expensive Martin custom, and one a cheap Harmony. i take them both out to play

I have a 000 - which is possibly the finest player I own, but not far behind are the two small Eastmans tat came to me during the time of Covid. They give me much joy.

I have a Jumbo - a Roy Smeck type which has the power of the dreads but a shorter scale for when my fingers are too painful.

I have three archtops - which is ridiculous, because I've given up trying to learn American songbook or western swing stuff, but maybe ....... one day.

I used to play Dobro and mandolin and sometimes an electric bass, in bluegrass bands, but don't anymore. but I still have them .... just in case (or cases) - and my wife bought me the banjo.

I may also take my National or my Weissenborn to my club one day, who knows.

None of these led me into debt, were paid for from a joint account, or denied a child shoes.
Nothing was ever acquired instead of something more important, and no-one got hurt in my having them.

Can't have any more tough - house too small!
Old 09-03-2022, 11:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post
...I could get by with 12.... 12 might still seem very high but a large chunk of my work is ghost writing and music production so I have to make sure I have the sound the customer wants. That number also includes my electrics.
This is me. Sessions, producing, and ghost writing. Basically, I am a "fixer." I am often asked to make songs and music that aren't working, work. You've got to be able to provide the sounds. Part of my work is soundtracks.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Davis View Post

.... a large chunk of my work is ghost writing and music production so I have to make sure I have the sound the customer wants.
Best excuse I've heard for having a whole lot of guitars. Unassailable. My compliments.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread. People talking about maintaining or taking care of their guitars. What's there to do? They just sit there right?

Or, hang there, if they're up on the wall.

Well, if you never play it, the guitar will go dull (not psychologically, but sound wise). It won't age well, or quickly. And if you don't give it proper humidity control, it will crack with time. If it's always in a dry house (most houses need more humidity) and then goes into the dry case, it will be death to smoochie at some point down the road.

Turtle
Old 09-03-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
mmm, I didn't understand this "vexation of spirit" thing so googled it - something biblical it seems - still don't get it.

I DO subscribe to the "collector gene" and believe that it is something to do with the way a (largely)male brain works.

I am convinced that we still have the brains of our hunter-gatherer forefathers.
We hunt, and we gather.
In order to hunt, and lacking great claws or jaws or great speed, we need to find tools/weapons if you will.
Originally, those "things" were sticks and stones, so we search for a stick. Then we find another stick, and maybe a really sharp stone - and so it goes.

If those sticks enables us to bring down a deer or a mammoth, then it is a "lucky stick" Maybe it takes on a "magic" or "spiritual" value.

For some people those lucky sticks are cars, or bikes, or golf clubs, or .... whatever.

For me it is a beautiful box with strings that make wonderful noises, that people like to hear me playing. That makes me feel good.

Some of my magic sticks are special in that I never take hunting (i.e., take them out to play), but that's alright because I can enjoy them in my cave - especially on cold rainy days.
Andy, I think you nailed it, and it brought to mind the apes holding bones and discovering their use as weapons scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-03-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:

We hunt, and we gather.

!

Wow. Thanks for the hunter/gatherer take on my question ...... I certainly wasn't expecting that. Sure has that ring of truth to it. I think this has to be fleshed out in an op-ed at the very least, maybe even a coffee table book. There are ghost writers in here. Just sayin'.

If you did that, and it was popular, just imagine the balm that would be on the souls of all of us who are feeling just a little guilty for having so many musical instruments! Connect our obsessions with our distant ancestors. It's their fault. I'm already feeling better.

Turtle

Last edited by turtlejimmy; 09-03-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:05 PM

I've got about 20 6 are acoustics. Had some of them for over 30 years, and a few new arrivals as well.

I can't help it, I like guitars. Some get planed more than others, but they all eventually get played. I don't worry about it either. They're all bought and paid for. There's plenty of guitars to buy so that whole "sell it so someone else can play it" while it makes good sense for some but, I'm not doing that.

Someday, as I get closer to my ultimate demise, I'll have to decide what to do with most of them. The rest, leaving to my son to do whatever he wishes. By then I won't be using them.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-03-2022, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Turtle,

I have 20 guitars, 12 acoustics of various flavors and 6 electrics, which I have accumulated over about 60 years of very active playing.

Andy's take on this subject may be fairly accurate...

Quote:
...I DO subscribe to the "collector gene" and believe that it is something to do with the way a (largely)male brain works.

We hunt, and we gather.

If those sticks enables us to bring down a deer or a mammoth, then it is a "lucky stick" Maybe it takes on a "magic" or "spiritual" value. ...
For me, once I got to old age where my huge expenses were paid off and my kids were all grown up, my wife encouraged me to spend some money on myself. (She really did!! )

For many of us here on the AGF, this is our main hobby. I don't spend money on anything else if I can help it. And I only spend money if it's not going to do any harm to my family.

My house is long ago paid for, I drive 20-year-old vehicles in good shape and with low miles, and I'm retired so I spend no money on clothes or even on eating out. My wife is a wonderful cook. Aside from watching TV in the evenings with my wife, guitar and books is what keeps me going.

- Glenn
Old 09-03-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
And .... 400 guitars in someone's collection??? I'm trying to picture how that would fit in my house. I'd need to build a garage or get a bigger place. Would you need like a caretaker to go along with that? Seems like it would be a full time job just managing that many guitars.

Turtle
They just lie in wait, awaiting their time to be pulled out and bragged about.

For me, I could choose one and would be fine. Seems the older you get the more stuff you have.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

Player, not collector. Though I like my guitars to be NICE and CLEAN. Intonated and playable.

When I play, I attack with gusto. Not too concerned with things like, Oh no I need to be careful not to scratch it with my pick.

Currently I have 4 acoustics and 4 electrics.

J-185ec is heavily worn. Feels like home.

OM-28 has been played most days for nearly a year now. Has become a go to.

Matrin GPCPA1 got a good deal on used. Bought for stage use. Though stage has not been a priority lately.

J-200 recent acquisition used. bought for studio use. Have been whipping it into shape. Getting it's studio debut this week.

Kicking around the thought of an HD-28 as well.

#1 electric is Les Paul from early 2006. Also have 2022 that's not quite "there yet"

1987 G&L ASAT III studio guitar as wel as 2014 Deluxe Strat
Old 09-04-2022, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Welcome aboard, Turtle!

You've got a good range of responses here so I won't bore you with anything more other than yes, there is such thing as "too much." But that is addressed only after one gets there. Witness threads along the lines of "thinning the herd" ...these folks got there

You ask specifically about how many we have. I have a smattering of acoustics, but I also love electrics, which brings another "how many amps and pedals" bugaboo there, LOL! It's a fun thing to be sure. But I "got there" and felt the need to dial back. I now feel like I want nothing more; nothing. My various acoustics, electrics, and requisite gear are perfect for me. You play other instruments and sing, so I trust you get it! So there ya go, my response, clear as mud

If I may make one suggestion for you: take your guitars out of their cases and get em on the wall (safer and more tidy than floor stands). You will play them 100x more, find inspiration --or relaxation-- from them being at literal arm's reach. And no less important, you will appreciate having them as gifts since they adorn the room with their inherent beauty. Get them out of their box and out where they belong! Just sayin

Edward
I second Edward's recommendation to hang on the wall. Yes, the case is safer but I find myself pulling one down all the time to play. I recently purchased my small body Gibson to leave on my organ bench next to where I sit to play for easy access. OK, maybe I didn't need that one but I sure like it.
2018 Taylor 814ce LTD NAMM
2019 Taylor Baritone 8
1937 Gibson L-37
2005 Gibson J-45 Historic
2014 Gibson Les Paul Acoustic Prototype
Old 09-04-2022, 07:10 AM

You know, I have thought about hanging guitars on the wall ..... I do have 3 big active indoor/outdoor male cats (I like to call them "The Wild Bunch") and, so far nothing's been knocked off the stand (a 5-instrument stand), but you never know.

But, I've always wondered: Is it really okay on the guitar??? Seems like it would put stress on it somewhere. I look at a guitar on the wall and have to wonder, how would I feel hanging like that for hours or days at a time? On the other hand, that's where they usually are, no matter how expensive, in a guitar store.

Turtle
Old 09-04-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejimmy View Post
I look at a guitar on the wall and have to wonder, how would I feel hanging like that for hours or days at a time?
Can we say false equivalency? How would you feel being holed up a guitar case for hours or days at a time?
Old 09-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc132 View Post
Two is my ideal, and I prefer that they be two very different instruments. An OM and a dreadnought is probably the perfect pair for me.

Once I get to three, one of them stops getting played. I guess my brain can only keep two in rotation.
That's where I'm at as well. A big one and a littler one. The thing to keep in mind though is that the more guitars someone has generally the more vocal they are about it. People with just one or two guitars aren't here talking about their new guitar every month or putting a big list in their signature that you can't miss. They are a quieter bench in that regard.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-04-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Can we say false equivalency? How would you feel being holed up a guitar case for hours or days at a time?

Yes you can say that .... fair point. Additionally, the guitar probably has less of an opinion about it.

Turtle

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion