The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2022, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

I've been keeping an eye on that D18. I even reached out for some more information and to see about the price. They agreed that in the condition it's in it is priced on the high side and said there was room to move on it although they did not state just how much room.

I don't know a lot about the D18's from that era (early '70s) but I vaguely seem to recall that generally speaking, Martin guitars from the '70s were not all that coveted for, well, anything. And the condition of this one makes any collector value unlikely, at least for another 50 years. Still...

I'm heading back to the VA on Friday so I think I'm going to take my RainSong dread out there along with my strap and maybe even my little Bose S1 Pro to see just how they compare both acoustically and amplified. I'd love to have an old beater like this with some mojo.

But I can also buy a new D18 Ambertone for less that price.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Martins from the 70s can be as good as anything, but you need to realize the won't have the overly lush tone of a modern guitar, or the horrible MLO neck. There, that's it in a nutshell. Different eras. Yes there are the bridge placement issues on some of them, but I've played a few 70s that were absolutely first rate. Now that they are of the age they need work, they aren't for everyone, but to say there is nothing to like about them is just wrong.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-07-2022, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

The Manchester Music Mill has been my favorite music store (hands down) for several years. I've gotten many great deals on excellent instruments and other gear.

One thing is certain; they move a lot of gear and always have new inventory...

My advice to anyone who is serious about a particular piece (new or used) would be don't snooze... engage the staff. Make them an offer, bring in something to trade (they love trade-ins and are always $ fair).

You snooze you lose.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

In my experience, 'fair trade' when it comes to retail is an oxymoron. The only thing worse than selling on consignment (20% loss) is trading it in (50% loss). Fortunately, I have nothing to trade. And if I did, I'd sell it myself.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:17 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
In my experience, 'fair trade' when it comes to retail is an oxymoron. The only thing worse than selling on consignment (20% loss) is trading it in (50% loss). Fortunately, I have nothing to trade. And if I did, I'd sell it myself.
On my last two trades I’ve made back all the money I spent on the guitars. One was used, so getting my money back on it wasn’t a total surprise. But the other I’d bought new less than a year before and still got exactly what I paid for the guitar…not counting taxes. The catch was that after giving me very generous trade-in value the shop wouldn’t negotiate the price of the new guitar I was buying…so I had to pay full MAP. Still, both were very fair deals. For the shop and me.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
On my last two trades I’ve made back all the money I spent on the guitars. One was used, so getting my money back on it wasn’t a total surprise. But the other I’d bought new less than a year before and still got exactly what I paid for the guitar…not counting taxes. The catch was that after giving me very generous trade-in value the shop wouldn’t negotiate the price of the new guitar I was buying…so I had to pay full MAP. Still, both were very fair deals. For the shop and me.

Do you mind disclosing the shops for our benefit (or private messaging me if you don’t mind sharing)? Thank you!
Old 09-08-2022, 06:45 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
Do you mind disclosing the shops for our benefit (or private messaging me if you don’t mind sharing)? Thank you!
Just sent you a PM sent.

Old 09-08-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I traded two Guilds to Acoustic Music in Guilford CT and they gave me seventy percent of their expected sale price. For the guitar I had paid less for that was actually more than seventy percent of what I had paid. I eventually sold the Eastman I bought with the trade and didn’t do much better selling it myself than I had done trading with them.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion