The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2022, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Default does Yamaha make a mahogany back/sides model similar to the LS36?

it took me around 10 years to find and get my LS36 and i've had it around 3 years i think. the more i play it the more i am impressed with how well it fits my hands, how well it is built and sounds.

this is Englemann/EIR and one of the Japan made models. the Nitro finish is thin and starting to ever so slightly sink in the woods and i really like how it feels and looks. love the "modern" tone it has. the neck shape fits me better than any guitar i have owned.

i have had it in my mind the last year to research to see if they make a similar grade small body like the LS36 in a mahogany back/sides. maybe some of you Yamaha enthusiasts can direct me to such a model.

thank you
d
Old 09-08-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
it took me around 10 years to find and get my LS36 and i've had it around 3 years i think. the more i play it the more i am impressed with how well it fits my hands, how well it is built and sounds.

this is Englemann/EIR and one of the Japan made models. the Nitro finish is thin and starting to ever so slightly sink in the woods and i really like how it feels and looks. love the "modern" tone it has. the neck shape fits me better than any guitar i have owned.

i have had it in my mind the last year to research to see if they make a similar grade small body like the LS36 in a mahogany back/sides. maybe some of you Yamaha enthusiasts can direct me to such a model.

thank you
d
As mentioned in the other thread, FS(X)5 or AC5M would be close. In the way of a larger body, the FG180 anniversary model was very good too. None of these are quite at the upper end quality of the 26+ L models.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

With all the addoration for the LL Rosewood series, I would not hesitate to reach out to Yamaha and ask this legitimate question!! I personally would LOVE an LS26 Mahogany!
Old 09-09-2022, 05:34 AM

Yes they do or rather did back in the late 80s to mid 90s.

LS400 or LA-18 which were MIJ and LA-8 that is made in Yamaha's Taiwan factory. All solid spruce tops with solid African mahagony back/sides.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

The LS16M is Mahogany b/s
Old 09-09-2022, 05:49 AM

Wow, learnt something new. I thought Yamaha only made Mahogany version of the LL. Didn't know they also did it for the LS. As usual, the LJ is left out
Old 09-09-2022, 06:50 AM

They don't currently make any mahogany b/s models that are on the level of the LL Japan made stuff. Those guitars have a lot more attention and time put into them with oversight from their master luthier, as I'm sure you know. This is the case for the 36 and 56 anyway. The red labels from Japan are nice, but all the ones I've played have bad intonation. Anyway, those are made with less hands on, more cnc etc from what I understand. I don't think there's really much difference than how the FG and FS3's are made in their China plant, which there is nothing wrong with.

But summery, there's not something like L36 quality made with mahogany, but they do have a custom shop, so maybe you could request?
Old 09-09-2022, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Excellent feedback and info, thank you

I'll research that LS400 and I didn't know they had a custom shop.
d
Old 09-09-2022, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post

thank you
d
Here you go Daryl. https://monterey.craigslist.org/msg/...530564833.html
Old 09-09-2022, 06:21 PM

That is a fine guitar although it should be the LS400 and not LS500 as mentioned in the ad. The 400 is mahogany side/backs whilst the 500 is EIR.

This was the top model coming out from Hamamatsu custom shop at the time so the build quality is fantastic plus the neck profile is like an electric guitar, slim and fast.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumble View Post
Rumble
is this your listing?
if so, i'm definitely interested. i've never used CL (its not around where i live in rural Ky), but if this is not your listing i'm not sure about doing a purchase long distance.
i have sent an email so if its not you, if the owner replies maybe i can get an idea if its a safe venture or not.

PM me if this is yours as i have a few questions on specs and we can go from there. thats a neat looking guitar.

thanks for posting the link, even if this doesn't work out, at least i know more of what i'm looking for.

d
Old 09-10-2022, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

No. It’s not mine but I did get to play it tonight . A good legit deal. Just a little fogging on the back. The neck is nice not quite as refined as the ls36, I owned one , but still very electric guitar rounded feel comfy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion